Home

DEFENDING THE PASS - 90% confirmed

This is a discussion on DEFENDING THE PASS - 90% confirmed within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2004, 10:06 AM   #49
MVP

sooner1's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: DEFENDING THE PASS - 90% confirmed

But He said hit b then y so for ps2 would that be x then triangle?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 21

If you only hit the Y button and not B first, you just gotta really watch your timing. If its a bullet pass on a short route, you want to hit y almost immediately(Twice last night I got INT's off of slant routes when I timed this right) after the QB throws the ball. As the routes get longer you will have to adjust your timing accordingly. This is what makes this NOT a cheat. Its not automatic, you have to call a good defense and have good timing and reflexes....sounds like playing DB to me.

Also, the coverage Slider has a BIG effect on how well this works. As you adjust the slider the more critical your timing and play calling become. If you give a QB too much time to throw, notiming in the world is gonna help yah. He will find the open man and throw a strike to him. Sounds like football to me.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #51
MVP

Another thing to think about in relation to this.

In video games when a QB throws a pass(you being the QB) You just throw the ball when you feel the WR is open. You dont look to see if the WR is ready to catch the ball or even looking to catch the ball, you just chuck it. So in essence a degree of real life difficulty is elimnated from the game.

If I in the huddle call a play that sends WR x on a fly pattern, the WR is not gonna turn and look for the ball until he is at least 15 yards down the field. In a video game, we will sometimes throw to the WR if we see him open after having only ran 5-10 yards and the WR will trun to catch at that point. In real life if you do that you just gonna hit your WR in the back with the ball, cause he aint looking to catch it.

Its not always possible to take direct control of your DB's because of the speed of the game and momentum of the players. In real life I have total control of my body and go in the direction I intend to go in as fast as I possibly can move. In these video games I can be fast enough to react to what I am seeing, but the control of the game is such that it does not always allow you to move your men in the direction you intend them to go. Thus leaving you at the mercy of AI.

Pressing Y eliminates that and balances the game so you CAN at least make a play on the ball without having to rely solely on AI and without having to worry about moment taking your DB out of making a play he definately should have made.

This technique balances that out so the odds aint skewed towards the offense. When your offensive opponent throws a ball he is throwing it when he thinks the WR is open whether he is open or not or whether the route the WR is running is finished or not. So why cant the defense react to that in like manner ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2004, 10:41 AM   #52
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

what do you have your coverage slider set to ???
Old 07-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:

TombSong said:
This technique balances that out so the odds aint skewed towards the offense. When your offensive opponent throws a ball he is throwing it when he thinks the WR is open whether he is open or not or whether the route the WR is running is finished or not. So why cant the defense react to that in like manner ?

I agree. Great find, TS. It's changed the way I play this game. For the first time, I've got pass interference penalties set to ON because I know it's me making the dumb early hit, and not the CPU. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #54
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I've been tapping the button just after the QB's release with pretty good results. I played the Titans(CPU) against the Ravens(ME) giving the Titans by VIP and starting a new one for me. I send out a good amount of blitzes and the Titans did the same, handling Jamal Lewis (27-75, 2.8YPC). Mcnair played better and threw less under my profile, hitting the open man more, lessening the chance of the pass being broken up. He still finished 7 of 17 for 115 YDS, 1 TD, while my QB was 10 of 17 for 133 yards. The VIP used a lot of my recent 3-4 defense, going to BEAR and Nickel (particularly a soft NICKEL zone I used. Bottom line? My VIP gave me a lot better game than Jeff Fisher's gameplan. I'm going to try the Titans against a weaker defensive team before I adjust the passing/receiving sliders (currently at 17/40 and 17/40 respectively).

Titans did the same, handling
Old 07-25-2004, 11:39 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 14

This was a truly good find. I used it in the last game I played last night online. It helped me to get 2 interceptions probably on a normal basis .. that I wouldn't have got before.

My opponent realizing that his long strikes downfield was ineffective... he went 90% run and 10% pass the 2nd half.

He was using the Ravens and J. Lewis! and this one play that I couldn't seem to stop.. but that is running.. and I know I can defend the run better than I can defend the pass.

Thanks for the advice Tomb!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #56
MVP

Quote:

what do you have your coverage slider set to ???

I have it set to half the bar. Right now that gives me a challenging enough game where it does not seem too easy for me. After I get too good at this lvl I am gonna move it down a few notches and keep doing that till it becomes too impossible to make plays. Again a large part of the success of this technique comes from correct play calling. That is part looking at your opponents tendencies, part a guessing game, and part luck. If you are solely relying on pressing Y at the right time and thats it, you are gonna get burnt alot by the better players of the game. That and your ability to recognise and react to what your opponent is doing is gonna be the determining factor in how successful you are doing this technique.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »