Home

Re-Negotiating Contracts, Signing bonuses etc...

This is a discussion on Re-Negotiating Contracts, Signing bonuses etc... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 17
Re-Negotiating Contracts, Signing bonuses etc...

Alright guys, im having a lil trouble getting a firm grasp on how all of this contract mumbo-jmbo works. I understand that signing bonuses don't count towards salary cap, but count towards your penalty. The thing i don't understand is what the re-negotiate contract option is used for. What situations are ideal for renegotiating a player's contract?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Banned

TallTell's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Re-Negotiating Contracts, Signing bonuses etc...

If you want to trade a guy who has a large penalty, re-negotiate the contract. Pay him more money, but include no signing bonus. That way, if you trade him, you won't have to pay a penalty.

or, say you're in franchise and you get this RB who has 1 year left on his cheap contract. You're playing on pro level and you plan to make him a 5000 yd rusher. Re-negotiate his contract before the season starts and sign him up for a couple of years, because if you let the contract expire after his record 5000 yd season, he's goin' want some serious money.

Last edited by TallTell; 08-29-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Pro

FocusYoMindOnDis's Arena

OVR: 6

Oh the pain...i am in the fifth year of my faranchise...Duece Mcallister just led the league in rushing for the third year in a row...so i decide to re up his contract before he wants an extraordinary amount in his walk year. I sign him to a lofty 6 year 42 million deal with a 30% signing bonus...then on the absolute first play of the game in the first game of the season he tears his acl...the next year after player progression he goes form a 91 to a 75...a 75 with 5 years left on that deal...i'm gonna have to try to unload him b/c it will kill me to have him hobbled making all that money...point...sign em smart not based on your personal likes...
Old 08-30-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Can somebody here give a point by point account of how we should be using and adjusting the salary contracts? I for one do not really understand how they work. I kind of miss the old NFL2k way of doing things where you just look at the player's ratings, make him an offer, if he rejects it, offer him a little more and then he accepts the offer. The whole 'front end, back end, penalty, cap' stuff is very complex. I am sure it would be more fun if I really understood what I was doing.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord_Vader
Can somebody here give a point by point account of how we should be using and adjusting the salary contracts? I for one do not really understand how they work. I kind of miss the old NFL2k way of doing things where you just look at the player's ratings, make him an offer, if he rejects it, offer him a little more and then he accepts the offer. The whole 'front end, back end, penalty, cap' stuff is very complex. I am sure it would be more fun if I really understood what I was doing.
Ok:

Front end obviously makes most of the money be given out in the beginning of the players years, so if your team is well under the cap now that might be the option, if it looks like you have room down the road offer the player a back load or ascending contract. That should clear that up.

For the penalty cap if you give a player a 200k contract (as in 200k a year) and give him a signing bonus of 10% he will get 20k in bonuses each year. This will increase the likelihood of him signing but if you want to release him or trade him the signing bonus counts against you so if you give him a 70% signing bonus he will probably accept, but if he is old and you want to release him whatever you gave him for a bonus will be counted against your cap so instead of freeing money you will lose money.

Hope that helps and doesnt confuse. Alsa florgive me grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 9

Thanks vinny! I have a follow-up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny
Ok:if you give him a 70% signing bonus he will probably accept, but if he is old and you want to release him whatever you gave him for a bonus will be counted against your cap so instead of freeing money you will lose money.
So you are saying that whatever you give him as a signing bonus, that amount counts against your PENALTY for each of the years he is signed?

Example:

100k contract for 3 years. 70% signing bonus = $70k. I trade the player. When the deal is made, I am hit with a $210k penalty against my salary cap because I had originally signed him for 3 years. Hence 3 years x $70k.

Is this right?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
MVP

Yep thats it.

Go to player signings and you will see the current penalties.

I traded culpepper and went -14million
Old 08-31-2004, 12:34 AM   #8
Banned

TallTell's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny
Yep thats it.

Go to player signings and you will see the current penalties.

I traded culpepper and went -14million
That's why you should have re-negotiated his contract to where he recieved little or no signing bonus. Then you would be able to trade him and his whole contract would come off the books.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »