Home

Problem throwing to the flats

This is a discussion on Problem throwing to the flats within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2004, 12:46 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Problem throwing to the flats

Also it seemd to me the main problem is the qb over throwing the rb, not the rb dropping catches. Ill give it a shot anyhow.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:56 AM   #10
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

Timing is the most important thing

next is catch rating and Qb accuracy

next is the amount of power you put behind the throw

next is the defense

if the play is a 50 and you try to throw immediately its not going to work as well as a 90.

same thing with screen passes - its all about timing. It takes skill to do , you can't just pick up the game and execute screen passes and passes to the flat , u really need to get good with the timing.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinDihigo
same thing with screen passes - its all about timing. It takes skill to do , you can't just pick up the game and execute screen passes and passes to the flat , u really need to get good with the timing.

True, I had tried lots of time in practice mode but didnt get anywhere. My stuborness to keep trying the lob only.

I just now tried doing more of a bullet pass and am having great success. I also bumped up my backs' run route a little bit as well as qb pass coverage.

I havent even tried screen passes yet. Just did one in this game against the packers and I see what people are complaining about with the back just stopping and turning, instant loss of yards. So going to need some more practice.

But at least now when I see my back in the open when my primary recievers are covered I know I have a good chance of getting the ball in his hands.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2004, 06:13 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medway
Will this make them too effective in other areas?

Maybe Ill just do it for my backs. What back did you raise to 80? Also did you just do this for your team or all the teams?
This is what happens and how I see it:

RB’s with Run Route @ 45 – and there are plenty of them – will blow their assignment a lot, sometimes twice in a row and often several times a game. That’s completely unrealistic. Once a game could get the guy benched. So I bumped my guys to 60+. But at 60, the QB will still overthrow the RB, or throw to the side of the RB, or throw behind the RB… completely unrealistic. Plus the lob should be a reliable option. Right now my guys are @ 80, and so far I’m happy with what I see.

Check sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players for ratings ideas. I raised Tomlinson into the 90's. Someone like Barlow needs his Run Route and Catch raised - he had 35 catches but only played half the year. Priest Holmes played twice as much but had eight fewer catches, so his ratings should be a lot lower than someone like Barlow.

Raising Pass Read is my personal preference with regards to a fix for the INT problem. But it also helps with QB accuracy, flat passes, and using the lob effectively. Anyway, sounds like you’re just bumping ratings up a bit, and that’s wise.

Screen passes: you can always audible the HB into a Speed Out and he won’t stop running…
Old 09-11-2004, 08:01 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Screen passes: you can always audible the HB into a Speed Out and he won’t stop running…
I'll have to try that. As far as the run route setting I'm still not sure it would help with the overthrown lobs. In the times I've seen this happen the RB is
just heading for the sideline, not really running a complicated route. It just seems like the QB plain over throws the ball, leads way too much. Throwing more of a bullet sends the pass right to the rec. I don't want to get too far into editing ratings as I feel it can spoil my enjoyment of the game, chasing your tail always trying to fix things. As it stands now I'm pretty happy with how I'm able to get the ball to their hands with the bullet.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:11 PM   #14
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

i overthrow sometimes, but if they blitz you can burn them with a screen. I did that against the patriots a lot (yes the patriots). Jamal Lewis had a 29 yard scree pass, my fb had a few good ones longest was about 9 yards, and of course i got stuffed a few, but overall i think i must have averaded about 5 or 6 yards that game on screen plays.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #15
Erv
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT
As I said, don't lob it, bullet it. Throw it straight to him. Why throw it high.

REALLY?! WHY? Why do you want to give the D time to get to him? Get it to him quick so he can get some yards AFTER the catch.

That's like lobbing a pass to someone doing a hook. Just stupid. Bullet the ball.
OK I know you never lob a screen unless he can get a step and is running a wheel route. Any ordinary Joe understands that. But lobbing it decreases the odds of seeing the RB do a sideways backflip/go into the ultraunrealistc momentum shift by a good enough margin that it is worth the slight delay. I know this is a problem, because when I was working on the 22 passes in a row passes and coverage alike is blown because of the crap momentum this game uses. The issue people seem to be laughably dodging here is the stupid QB overthrow bug that happens enough to stall at least one drive in a game. Hell I lob it with nobody there and the QB still sometimes overthrows the ball. That's sloppy programming no other way around it. Way back during my freshman practice at high school football no QB in practice threw like that and if he did he wouldn't be playing at QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2004, 11:48 PM   #16
MVP

kweiss's Arena

OVR: 13

I'll have to give the advice you guys all gave a shot, but let's face it- the game is just messed up here. A screen pass should be the easiest completions a QB makes, but in this game it's far and beyond the hardest. I'm sorry, but completing a 10 foot pass should not require this much practice, timing, and analysis. It's obviously a glitch in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »