Home

EQ...explained.

This is a discussion on EQ...explained. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: EQ...explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
Regardless of what EQ does (and I do in fact by the "squeezing" explanation), it VASTLY improves upon the NFL 2K5 gameplay. The game is much tighter and more realistic with EQ on. The only way to go, IMO, until the roster update where there may be possible major ratings revisions.
The moderator at espnvideogames.com also clearly and unequivacably states that the game is more realistic with EQ on. How much more direct can you get than that?

I also agree with you that it would be nice to see if the roster updates address the various inequities of the default ratings. No way are the Eagles (or the Pats, for that matter) that dominating in real life. The Eagles D IRL is good, but not that good.

And the Patriots are not that awesome in terms of their roster attributes, pundits in real life acknowldege that. Rather, their success results from their coaching and playbooks.

(It'd be interesting if the Pats roster ratings were more down to earth in the video game, but both their offensive and defensive playbooks were amazingly complex and much deeper than other team's --that would be a cool feature in ESPN.)

Gamertag: Tailgun

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2004, 11:31 AM   #66
R**k**

whosgotcha's Arena

OVR: 18

Does the EQ effect work in franchise mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile_17
The moderator at espnvideogames.com also clearly and unequivacably states that the game is more realistic with EQ on. How much more direct can you get than that?

I also agree with you that it would be nice to see if the roster updates address the various inequities of the default ratings. No way are the Eagles (or the Pats, for that matter) that dominating in real life. The Eagles D IRL is good, but not that good.

And the Patriots are not that awesome in terms of their roster attributes, pundits in real life acknowldege that. Rather, their success results from their coaching and playbooks.

(It'd be interesting if the Pats roster ratings were more down to earth in the video game, but both their offensive and defensive playbooks were amazingly complex and much deeper than other team's --that would be a cool feature in ESPN.)
Old 09-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 4

I may not be the best person to ask. Since the game came out, I've played literally maybe ten or twelve games offline. I play almost entirely online in matches and leagues.

Gamertag: Tailgun

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China
Old 09-17-2004, 12:14 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
[conspiracy theory=HMcCoy]

Yeah, there definetely seems to be some type of situational AI sprinkled in a couple places. You've said yourself more than once that you found it hard to believe that it aint in there...I find it hard to swallow too.

There seem to be too many instances where I would jump out to a 17 point lead, and then my DB's would magically transform into WNBA players, and vice versa. Its subtle, but I see it, and I would bet the farm its tied to consistency and composure ratings...

However they've implemented it, whatever name they've given it in the design doc, theres something in place that helps manipulate gameflow. I applaud it, I think its brilliant. It just penalizes the DB's too harshly, IMO.

[/conspiracy theory]
Hey bud, wanted to close the loop on the composure thing. I checked again and was told it ONLY impacts the QB position...nothing else...for now. It may be used in the future for...believe it or not...gameplay momentum reasons. So it may have an impact in the future cause they are thinking of adding that kind of momentum to the game in the future, but for now it only impacts the QB.

As for momentum, while there is none in the game, I think what you were referring to before was situational AI and that IS in the game. For example, in obvious passing downs the secondary will cheat more towards the pass. On 4th and short, towards the run. So, while there is no gameplay momentum there is most certainly situational AI that comes into play...just can't confuse the 2 cause they are different.

You got me thinking of some things and I wanted to follow up cause they were good observations.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:28 AM   #69
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMANOC
Hey bud, wanted to close the loop on the composure thing. I checked again and was told it ONLY impacts the QB position...nothing else...for now. It may be used in the future for...believe it or not...gameplay momentum reasons. So it may have an impact in the future cause they are thinking of adding that kind of momentum to the game in the future, but for now it only impacts the QB.

As for momentum, while there is none in the game, I think what you were referring to before was situational AI and that IS in the game. For example, in obvious passing downs the secondary will cheat more towards the pass. On 4th and short, towards the run. So, while there is no gameplay momentum there is most certainly situational AI that comes into play...just can't confuse the 2 cause they are different.

You got me thinking of some things and I wanted to follow up cause they were good observations.

Thanks for the follow-up bro...

Its good to know I:

A. Was on the righ track...
B. But, can stop fretting about the compsure ratings....for now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »