Home

interior line play

This is a discussion on interior line play within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

OVR: 19
interior line play

has anyone tinkered with the d-linemen strength in going thru a couple of rosters I was seeing a couple of starting linemen strength at 56,58,and 61 i think that may be a tad low. I mean these guys are 300+ pounds i would like to think that they are stronger than most wr's. I mean because the dline is not great at stopping the inside run most stops are made by the line backers. or is this one of those things that you leave alone for fear of the defense becoming too dominant? I will probably test to see if bumping them up at least min mid 70's helps the stopping of the inside runi see defensive ends go thru tackles like they are in high school but i have yet to see a d-lineman blow up a play from the middle. Any responses would be most appreciated
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: interior line play

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSILK
has anyone tinkered with the d-linemen strength in going thru a couple of rosters I was seeing a couple of starting linemen strength at 56,58,and 61 i think that may be a tad low. I mean these guys are 300+ pounds i would like to think that they are stronger than most wr's. I mean because the dline is not great at stopping the inside run most stops are made by the line backers. or is this one of those things that you leave alone for fear of the defense becoming too dominant? I will probably test to see if bumping them up at least min mid 70's helps the stopping of the inside runi see defensive ends go thru tackles like they are in high school but i have yet to see a d-lineman blow up a play from the middle. Any responses would be most appreciated
The Strenght attribute is by position only. So a 300 lbs. linemen will be stronger than a receiver.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeist
The Strenght attribute is by position only. So a 300 lbs. linemen will be stronger than a receiver.
So the strength attribute is like the speed attribute in being position relative?? Even so should a d-lineman be stronger than a 58 or so?? especially if he is a starter?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
So the strength attribute is like the speed attribute in being position relative?? Even so should a d-lineman be stronger than a 58 or so?? especially if he is a starter?
None of my O-line or D-line players have strengh any less than 70...Then I separate the starters & all pro's by raising them above 70 min...Starters will range 75-80 and pro bowlers will be 85-up to separate the elite players..
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
MVP

TWOSILK's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
None of my O-line or D-line players have strengh any less than 70...Then I separate the starters & all pro's by raising them above 70 min...Starters will range 75-80 and pro bowlers will be 85-up to separate the elite players..
Thanks noplace, have you noticed a difference in gameplay with these edits? I enjoy watching the defensive tackle blow up a running play by just overpowering his man but that never happens with the default settings i will try this and see if it gives me the desired effect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2006, 04:28 AM   #6
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

well it says that in the manaul, but go to create a player and when you create a speed rusher or O lineman the default rating for strength is 70

speed is speed.. 85 qb is the same as a 85 rb

What the game does is when you sub a Qb in a position hes doesnt have the right ratings for his overall rating will plummet.. IE sub a qb for a T...

thats why warren sapp actually goes up in rating when hes made into a DE

Strength is decieving in 2k it sometimes messes up a guys actual ratings for instance le roi glover is a high strength guy so they made his speed 44.. hes really a speed type DT.. but giving him say a 60 makes him a 100 rated player.. thats why some guys ratings are way off.. to make his overall where it should be they took his speed down..

I think strength should be weight.. Lineman 50s skill players 30 to 40s...then their actual ratings could be right on... in my rosters I did this. some O lineman have really low strength scores because they have high ratings in blocking..Leornard davis is a prime example 90 strength decent blocking but a consistancy of like 28..lol

they lowered his consistancy to make his overall 80s.. I liked my roster strength effects overall ratings way too much..

Last edited by adriano; 05-26-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Thanks noplace, have you noticed a difference in gameplay with these edits? I enjoy watching the defensive tackle blow up a running play by just overpowering his man but that never happens with the default settings i will try this and see if it gives me the desired effect.
It works for me. You can actually see certain lineman take over a game. Be sure to raise consist on those pro bowl players. The way I have my roster set up is the only players that can play with Pro bowlers are elite players or pro bowlers themselves... Example Shaun Rogers will dominate your average OG but will not have the same success against Larry Allen.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OVR: 5

The problem I see in some of your comments is that you don't have to be rated 100 at every attribute to be rated 100 overall. So with LaRoi Glover, for example, if they wanted to make his strength high, in order to keep his overall rating reasonable, they had to really cut his speed.

As to the "speed is speed" thing, I said the same thing, and last year my roster reflected this as speeds were based on the 40 times people ran minus a bit for age. But that put Jevon Kearse's speed at 93. Now he may be that fast (He was a LB in college and a S in high school!!!!), but I realized after several complaints that ultimately you want the game to be right when you suit up and play more than you want it to seem right in the rosters menu. So this year I am decreasing the QB, LB, and D-line speeds back to where they were and leaving everyone else's the same. I think this will make for a more realistic and enjoyable gaming experience.

On the strength, I think you can make a standard scale for everyone. For me, QBs are between 25-40, RBs are between 35-50, WRs are between 25-50, O-Line is between 55-85+, TEs can be like WRs or like O Lone depending on who it is, D Line is like O-line, LBs are between 45-65, CBs are 30-50, Ss can be like CBs or like LBs depending on who it is, kickers are 15-30. This seems to work, and these are not set in stone. TO could have STR 55 or something like that. These are just good ranges.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »