Home

Tools to help other roster makers

This is a discussion on Tools to help other roster makers within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 20
Tools to help other roster makers

Hopefully this will help someone out someday

I have decided to re-create my roster file from scratch off the default roster due to some of its bugs left from the basefile I borrowed. I am going to copy in players from my latest "Puja updated" file & handle renaming correctly from the start, giving me a file w/ great integrity that can be updated indefinitely. To help me in this task I wrote some VB scripts and formulas in excel to make it easier/faster. The fruits of my labor would greatly speed up anyone else's attempt to make their own roster from scratch:

1) "Removal List (Default).xls"
This is a complete list of every player who was in the default 2K5 roster, but was also NOT on a 53-man roster for the bulk of the 06-07 season (800+ players). Essentially, these guys are all out of the league-- so, overwrite them if you want to make an updated roster w/o using up any in-game CAP slots or messing w/ in-game renaming.

2) "Create List (thru 06-07).xls"
This is a complete list of all the players from my 06-07 file who weren't in the default roster (737 players). Basically, it's all the non-default players who were on a 53-man roster for the majority of the 06-07 season. Primarily '05 & 06' rookies-- players who would need to be created or pasted in from another updated file.

3) "Missing CAPs.xls"
A list of all remaining players who were on NFL rosters just before the 06-07 playoffs (~200 players). These are mostly practice squaders who were signed to fill an injury hole, but a few young ones could become regulars next year or beyond. A few from this list were in the default roster too, so they would also be on the "Removal List" spreadsheet.

So, for anyone updating a brand new roster this offseason; Sortable data illustrating exactly who you would need to create & who you can overwrite (w/o going through team-by-team or turning on the game)

Edit-- Updated these sheets for accuracy. New attachment further down this thread

Last edited by puja21; 02-21-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Tools to help other roster makers

thats interesting...

'cause I've been modding your roster for a couple of weeks now and was going to ask for your permission to release it here soon....

The main things I've done is fix most (I think all) of your name bugs and update a ton of equipment prefrences based on gameday photos.... I did a little bit of ratings and implemented the 127/64 agression formula discovered by D.M. Noye...

But to be honest, I might rather start from scratch too....

If you dont mind me asking... is there anything special you use to calculate ratings and attributes? I havent gotten far enough to try and figure out the formula 2k used or at least figure out one thats close to it...

...and thanks for the lists by the way they should really come in handy...
Old 02-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
MVP

there is an existing formula which will make a player fall into the default roster range (high/low) for all positional attributes... actually it's several formulas: one for DBs, one for LBs, one for DL, etc... But it's not my creation so I can't release it without permission (I'll ask). I tend to not use formulas that match the out-of-the-box ratings, however, because there are certain things I don't like about default attributes (like QB speed & BTK are too high IMO)

i have on more sheet i'm going to post when it's finished-- a listing of all the ~1200 players who were in the default roster & also on an 06-07 roster

there is a column with their out-of-the-box rating & a column (for me) with their rating from my roster. Any players' whose position changed in my file since the default are also marked (example: fred wakefield tackle to tight end, troy vincent CB to FS, etc). this was really just for me to have a checklist of whom to copy over from my file, but it also allows me to go back in the game when I'm done & verify that I didn't make any mistakes during the tedious process.

despite it's original purpose, this sheet would still be quite useful to a "from scratch" roster maker, because:

it's a comprehensive list of all remaining players (who are still on a roster), & it reveals their old ratings so you can see who needs updating most severely.

Last edited by puja21; 02-19-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsgreenday
The main things I've done is fix most (I think all) of your name bugs
did you keep a list? the only errors ive recently noticed (& fixed) were:
Savage Morris ("Sammy," MIA)
Gerome Gunn ("Sapp," BAL)

These occurred when I (or the basefile creators) added a new unique name by overwriting an existing duplicate name-slot (example: "Savage" overwriting one of the several slots for "Sammy"). The error happens if you then fail to go back & re-point any affected players (like Sammy Morris) to a duplicate instance of their original name.

Were there other name switch bugs like Sapp & Morris that you also found? A few people PMd me about fixing Domanick "Williams" on Houston, but that's not a mistake-- this is his real name now changed from Domanick Davis (new knee, new name). Same situation with London "Fletcher-Baker."

Last edited by puja21; 02-19-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Rookie

This may have been a unique occurence but I ran into a few actual "bugs"...

When you type in a name that overwrites a generic name thats not assigned to multiple players (Jones [blank space]) it wont overwrite every player with the last name jones, like it would if "First:" was red, but sometimes the name wont be read by the game itself and a random name instead is inserted...

Jason Allen of the 'Fins become Jason Bob and Rashied Davis of the Bears become Rashied Thomas.... There were a couple more but I don't really remember who they were...

but like i said, **** can happen when you transfer a file from the 'net to your computer to your max drive to you xbox... it could have been just a random occurence, although it did happen more than once before i fixed it...

other than that...
Antoine Bryant of the 49ers should be Antonio
Barrett Rudd of the Bucs should be Ruud
Reshard Lee of the Raiders should be ReShard (splitting hairs, i know, sorry)

thats the only other 2 i remember off the top of my head but I know there were a few more... I changed Ndukwe Kalu to N.D. since thats how hes officially listed now...

they're just really minor things that I've caught while dabbling aroung... I'm not trying to knock what you've done here... in fact I applaud the **** out of you for helping keep this game alive... you've done a tremendous job...

I'm just a little OCD when it comes to rosters... i dunno why...

those formulas would be GREAT... they would save me loads and loads of time...

Last edited by dudeitsgreenday; 02-19-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsgreenday
Jason Allen of the 'Fins become Jason Bob and Rashied Davis of the Bears become Rashied Thomas....
I just wanted to clarify... that was only after I loaded the roster with the game from the memory card, saved it to the xbox, and then loaded it from the xbox...

I dont know why it made a difference, but they showed up normal when I just loaded it from the memory card...
Old 02-20-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
MVP

you must have an older version of my roster if Ruud is still Rudd-- I actually mentioned making that specific correction leftover from the basefile in one of my posts

Quote:
When you type in a name that overwrites a generic name thats not assigned to multiple players (Jones [blank space]) it wont overwrite every player with the last name jones, like it would if "First:" was red, but sometimes the name wont be read by the game itself and a random name instead is inserted...
if the name is red it just means more than one player is assigned to that slot. if you mouse-over the actual red text a popup will reveal all the players assigned to that slot; only these exact players will change if you overwrite that slot-- but not every player named "Smith" or whatever the name happens to be.. just the Smiths on that slot.

there can be more than one physical location or slot for each name. actually, if you open the default out-of-the-box roster, you will see that in the original roster every first & last name takes up a unique slot... this is how we add more names; by piling players with the same name onto one slot & overwriting the duplicate slots into other names

i have a thread specifically about renaming in my recent posts if you search but basically the main idea is if you see exactly this:
SMITH [ ]
it just means this name cannot be edited. the name is permanent used for draft classes probably. it's always really common names like Smith, Williams, etc

if you see the same format but with an asterisk:
SMITH [ ]*
it means you can change the name, and anyone associated w/ that slot will change too. the other smiths would remain smith.

as far as that bug you mentioned... all i can think is maybe it has to do w/ MaxDrive. All my friends & I only use Action Replay & none of us are able to produce the bug you are describing. Are you in the UK or something? Maybe even a PAL system?

Last edited by puja21; 02-20-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
as far as that bug you mentioned... all i can think is maybe it has to do w/ MaxDrive. All my friends & I only use Action Replay & none of us are able to produce the bug you are describing. Are you in the UK or something? Maybe even a PAL system?
nah... good ol' Indiana is where I'm at... and MaxDrive is the PS2 version of action replay for XBOX... theyre made by the same company (i think) and the tin the AR comes in says "ACTION REPLAY MAX"... so saying "maxdrive" has just become common for me... sorry...

but like i said... its probably just a random occurance with my XBOX... your roster seems a bit too in depth to have that kind of problems...

also like i said (i hate using that phrase, it sound so pompus) i've been modding your roster for weeks and the last one i DL'ed was puja21Jan8... so you probably have fixed some of the things i mentioned...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »