Home

puja21 07-08 Roster

This is a discussion on puja21 07-08 Roster within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: puja21 07-08 Roster

Hey all. I am brand new here and just found out about roster updates for my favorite game ESPN NFL2K. Forgive me, but are there any updates for the PS2 and how do you perform the update?
Thank you!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #74
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo
Puja21,
When you release your Franchise file do you think you will attach the excel sheet of what players from teams you released to FA since week 1. I know you've done things like that in the past so I was just wondering. No biggie either way.
i think i'm going to just have all the real-life IR players on their teams (either on the in-game IR list or just acitive)... but for whoever if i have to release to free agency to make room for them, yeah i can post that list
Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #75
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i wasn't talking about just NFL players remember... i was talking about ALL the players in file (who come up when you do a blank search). you are forgetting all the hidden players who are in every roster like all the "25th anniversary teams" that come up as blank names & zero attributes.. as well as the unlockable players. just hit search in the editor w/ no parameters-- it should tell you the number is what i said.
You're correct. I never did a search in Finn's editor without any paramaters so I never noticed that all those players were listed. At least now I know why two players in my roster file were somehow linked to those celebs. Luckily, I found a way around that problem and both players are now back to normal.

Quote:
i used excel to do 75% of the leg-work for me... that's how i made the new clean roster file so quickly last spring: before did any editing whatsoever, i used Finn's editor to export the complete list of default roster players into excel & to export the complete list of current players from my last roster.

then i just ran a macro to compare the two sheets & auto-generate 2 lists:
1) all "remaining players" still in the league from the default roster
2) all "retired/out-of-the-league players" who needed to be overwritten, including what team they were on & their position

I used the first list to help me update the remaining 2004 players quickly-- it told me which default players I needed to paste over updated ratings/equipment for from my buggy roster.. that only took a couple hours thanks to the search tool in Finn's editor: I just searched for "all players" in both rosters, sorted alphabetically, & then pasted over everyone who is still in the game.

Then I used the the second list to tell me which default players to paste the new guys (05 & 06 rookies) onto... it was fast b/c all i had to do was sort by team & position in excel & i could instantly see the following for all 32 teams right in front of me:
Example: "The 2007 49ers have 'X' new players at these positions who weren't around in 2004-- QB Alex Smith, RB Frank Gore, etc..."
^Then w/ that information, I just signed the amt of retired players necessary at each position to each team & pasted the new players of 2006 onto those retired guys using the editor.

So creating the clean '06 roster was a relative breeze from excel. I didn't need the internet at all & I only needed to use my xbox one time in a single short-session just to prepare the file. After that, I could safely add all new players in just a few clicks of the mouse each. Anytime I was watching TV, I just had my laptop in hand & pasted over the new players for 1 or 2 teams... in a couple weeks, I had a clean & completely finished 2006 roster.

Keeping track of the names was just a small step: it only adds 2-4 seconds each to also paste the name of the new player in excel next to the old one... it took me maybe a couple hours longer to do the whole file that way. And it pays back now anyway because today I can see instantly how many retired default players I have left in free agency to use for new additions (like all the default punters etc).

Without the search & paste tools or excel i would never have attempted to do this roster. it would've been like trying to build a city by hand
WOW. I have wordpad documents for all 32 team rosters plus wordpad documents for each position. I created my roster on a position by position basis because going team by team is impossible due to the 42 player limit. I start with QB's. I simply release them all into FA and then go team by team starting with the 49ers and ending with the Vikings assigning all the QB's that should be on their respective teams. This is also the reason why that starting QB glitch occurs. Because the starting QB is the first player "assigned", he automatically becomes the kick and punt returner. People think it's because of Finn's editor but it has nothing to do with it. It's due to the crappy depth chart setup.

After I assign all the players for that position on each team, I look over the remaining players (Tim Couch, etc.) and overwrite the ones that are no longer in the NFL into the missing players (Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, etc.) that are needed. I then assign them to their respective teams and when finished, I go through the same process with the remaining 16 positions. It took me about two months to finish my 2k7 roster but add in work and the amount of time is actually less. But in the end, it's worth it because I dont have to even think about buying Crapadden.

As for the internet, the only thing I use it for is to search for every player that I dont know so I can see their skin tone as having a white player black or vice versa drives me nuts. It's amazing how many players had the wrong skin tone in VC's final roster.

Also, I meant to ask you this earlier but I forgot, what "base" roster did you use to start with?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 AM   #76
MVP

^that's a good method too. you definitely need to have some sort of plan to avoid being buried by sheer volume. i guess that explains why i haven't had a QB PR glitch yet either

base roster: you asked me last spring when i 1st made the file, remember? i told you i had used the default roster & you said how you take the last VC update & fix all their wrong skin tones instead b/c you didnt like the Carlos Joseph glitch... right?

Question for you:
when i use your trick to reset the contracts to "ratings-based" are you saying i will avoid creating a QB PR glitch if i release & re-sign the QB pos last of all?

edit: WTF is Denver doing? After cutdowns they waived Adam Meadows in favor of Chad Mustard. Then they cut Mustard last Tues for Winborn. Then they waived Stephen Alexander on Monday & signed Mustard back again. Then today-- two days later-- they signed Alexander back & cut Mustard for the third time since Sep 8th.

poor bastard

Last edited by puja21; 09-18-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #77
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
^that's a good method too. you definitely need to have some sort of plan to avoid being buried by sheer volume. i guess that explains why i haven't had a QB PR glitch yet either

base roster: you asked me last spring when i 1st made the file, remember? i told you i had used the default roster & you said how you take the last VC update & fix all their wrong skin tones instead b/c you didnt like the Carlos Joseph glitch... right?
That's right. I forgot about that guy missing half his head / face. Just thinking about that gives me a laugh. He was half man / half ghost. LOL.

Quote:
Question for you:
when i use your trick to reset the contracts to "ratings-based" are you saying i will avoid creating a QB PR glitch if i release & re-sign the QB pos last of all?
Honestly, I dont know. The glitch only happened after I released all the CB's and then re-assigned the ones that were in the final roster update to their respective teams. I have tested my file after finishing every position and I didnt get that glitch until after I finished CB's. The kick / punt returners are always RB's, WR's or CB's. Rarely, is it any other position. I think the glitch occurs because of the depth chart setup. Instead of having just the first and second team listed for KR/PR, the list goes on and on. I noticed that after you setup your KR / PR, the starting RB is always the third stringer for KR's and second stringer for PR's. I thought about assigning the actual kick and punt returners first but I dont see it changing anything. To get around the glitch, after I finished punters, I simply released all the QB's and reassigned them for a second time. This eliminated the glitch. My personal opinion is that the glitch is due to the depth chart setup and not Finn's editor.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:33 AM   #78
MVP

^well assuming i can just "fix" any bugs by releasing/re-signing QBs once more, then it's worth the extra work for the chance to level contracts
Old 09-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #79
MVP

OVR: 14

If we set the contracts up in the editor will they stay like that?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:28 AM   #80
MVP

^the contract adjuster in finn's editor was never 100% tested/finished/reliable

i choose not to mess w/ it at all

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »