Home

Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

This is a discussion on Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 AM   #137
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Bill's Sliders Plus Franchise House Rules

Can I use these sliders on Pro and get good results? Sorry if this has been covered already. Thanks!

Paul
Old 01-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #138
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpop72
Can I use these sliders on Pro and get good results? Sorry if this has been covered already. Thanks!

Paul
These are labelled as "Custom" sliders.

Each setting (Pro, All-Pro, Legend) have their own preset sliders and when you change the sliders it changes the setting to Custom.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #139
MVP

OVR: 6

Do these sliders work with edited rosters like candyman or nickchew ?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #140
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

i just bought this game again recently and these sliders have absolutely saved it for me. it had gotten to the point where i was "gamecast live'ing" my franchise games. i'm coach mode'er and, amazing, these sliders work really well. the only thing is i'm have a bit of difficulty containing hbs. it's not nearly as bad as it was in 2k4 though.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #141
Rookie

OVR: 1
Just a question. Everbody seems to enjoy the sliders, but are they actually realistic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #142
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

I tried my next franchise game (KC vs. Den-cpu) with my roster tweaks and I will say that it was a very welcomed challenge! I play on 9 min. periods; no shoulder charging other than inside the 5 and only 1 stiff arm/run when I remember and only in realistic situations. ALL stats were realistic when the smoke cleared and I lost 41-31. The ONLY plague was interceptions; 3 for each QB --- though I don't worry about mine as much as the cpu's. I'm now convinced that CGO is right and all LB's and DB's catch rate needs to be put at 1. I don't know what else you can do to reduce INT's. Outside of the INT's Plummer played well (almost 60% and 250-ish yards) and even hit some WR's in stride, even Devoe for a TD. Anderson had 2 rush TD's and a little over 100 yards. I was able to bust out a long run with Holmes to the left for about 30 and he also had just over 100, though only because I pushed it at the end when the game was out of reach. The only thing I tried initially that was different from the sliders was keeping catch at 16 as well, thinking that I was going to clean up at 40. But actually with pass at 0, it was tough. I think a good combination has been hit on here and outside of tweaking the defenders as indicated above, I'm hoping this is the end of slider arrangements. Nice job man!

Oh, P.S. --- changing kickoff men to slow butts really helped the cpu run the ball back better. The condition is that I don't switch off of the kicker and actually take him out of the play. Twice, Denver brought the ball out past the 45 and Watts even returned one! It's the only fix for the KR game I can come up with.....and it now worked in season vs. during an experiment --- pretty cool.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #143
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris44
Also, I've developed some Franchise house rules that make Franchise mode very challenging (at least for me). My goal was that every opportunity had to come with some kind of associated risk.
1. Max out the salary slider, pay 10% more in bonus than the player requests, and nothing longer than 6-year deals.
2. Max out the trade slider. Don’t trade away guys in the last year of their contracts, and don’t trade for rookies. If a guy is rated below 70, you can release him but not trade him.
3. You can’t trade for a team’s starting QB or trade for/away kickers/punters.
4. No more than 10 draft choices a draft and no more than 2 per round.

I tried to keep the rules as simple as possible but still compensate for A.I. weaknesses. The CPU doesn't value rookies, starting quarterbacks, or kickers highly enough. It's also too willing to trade for players in the last year of their contract. As far as individual salaries, players are too willing to accept no bonus in return for only slightly more money, which makes salary cap management too easy.

Here's where risk comes in. With the 10% bonus kicker over what the player requests, you're taking on quite a bit of guaranteed money (NFL average is almost 50% now, so that's actually pretty realistic). So when guys don't pan out, it's not so easy to get rid of them--you've got a big bonus hit attached. It comes so difficult to manage the cap that you'll actually need to use different contract types to be effective.

I've been able to put together strong teams, but not great ones. And there are always question marks on my roster, because you just can't fill every hole. I think these rules make Franchise play much more realistically and with a pretty high level of difficulty.
Here's a tough way to play. No trades whatsoever. Build your team through free agency and the draft. I usually sign players to 1 to 5 year deals depending on years pro. I rarely keep players past their 10th year unless that player is my franchise QB or WR and if I do keep a player past his 10th year, its on a year by year basis. Other then that, I usually just let the old guys leave. I always sign players to 70% bonus but of course, these players are those who I have no interest in getting rid. I always use "balanced" contracts. It's easier to keep track of your players salaries because they are getting paid the same every year. Draft wise, you'll have no more then 7 picks which is fair especially when after round three, the rookies are rated low anyway.

Also, in the free agent wire, you cant use that trick that allows you to pay players only $200k per year after they accepted your contract offer. I will overpay a player so he'll accept my offer but then reduce him to what he was asking for, so I wont be overpaying him.

That's how I play franchise. I honestly hate trading. In 2k3, I used to put players on the trading block and then get offers but the problem was that I could never decide what trade offer to accept so I just eliminated trades instead.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #144
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Played another season game (as Eagles) vs. Dallas with Bill's sliders, though cut catch down to 32. All cpu stuff as he indicates, though. This is with my roster and LB's and DB's catch set to 2 and 1, respectively.

Tough as hell to run. McNabb passed for just over 300 with 2TD's and 1 pick.

As for the cpu stats:

Bledsoe 19/34 - 56% - 245 - 3TD's - 0 INT's
Thompson (Jones hurt) 19/121 0 TD's - 1 fum
Glenn 6/115 - 35 long - 1 TD
Copper 2 TD's
Witten 4/26

1 sack (Fowler); 1 INT (Newman)
Susham 2/2 (46 long)

I'm happy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »