Home

Performance EQ....

This is a discussion on Performance EQ.... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Performance EQ....

i just played a franchise game with EQ turned on with my customized sliders...I was the Packers against the Panthers....and i must say, it deff was a different experience...it seemed to me that the players played alot.....how should i put this....less robotic...i didnt see the defense running around in circles...i didnt see any stupid DB play...

however, i saw a downside...i was up 17-7 in the fourth quarter with 4 minutes to go and the CPU was driving on me...they ended up kicking a field goal with 2:13 left...they proceed to attempt an onside kick...and this is where i saw the problem occur...once their kicker kicked the ball, ALL of the CPU players attacked the ball like MAD MEN...its like they got SUPER SPEED and PURSUIT all of the sudden....ALL 10 of their players (excluding the kicker) were RIGHT AROUND THE BALL before my players even had a chance to touch it...i watched the reply and i couldnt believe me eyes...my guys stood there waiting for the 10 yard kick while the CPU players swarmed to the ball and actually touched it around the 11 yard mark before ONE of my guys could make a play...when the CPU had possession and the whistle blew, ALL of their players where within a 2-3 yard vicinity of the ball and my players were basically still in the onside kickoff shape...I was clear that the performance EQ was in full affect in order to keep the games "Balanced and Fair"...well, this i found to be BEYOND fair...I wish i had some way of recording this play and showing you guys it...

anyway, they ended up driving on me and scoring the game tying touchdown on a 4th and 8 conversion with :02 left....the game went into OT...they won the coin toss, and scored on the insuing drive...i lose the game 23-17.

so yea. Initially the game looked alot better...players seemd to perform at their skill level...less dropped passes...didnt see any DB AI stupidity...oh, I also returned a punt for a TD...CPU QB threw for 3 TDs and only 1 INT. the stats were fantastic, the gameplay was great...but like i mentioned above, there seems to be a SUPER CATCH UP feature implemented when EQ ON...
Old 09-03-2004, 09:46 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

When I get back home I'm gonna coach a few games with the EQ turned on and see how they go.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 26

I tried an experiment. I took the Chargers and made them really awful – worse than they are already. I made Clint Stoerner their QB, cut Tomlinson, and their highest rated WR was a 68. Then I played two CPU vs CPU games, 5 minute quarters, San Diego @ New England.

Game #1, Performance EQ ON:
Patriots 17, Chargers 10
Brady: 59% completion rate; Dillon: 11 carries/102 yards.
Stoerner: 45% completion rate; two no-name HB’s: 10 carries/8 yards.

Game #2, Performance EQ OFF:
Patriots 20, Chargers 0
Brady: 53% completion rate; Dillon: 19 carries/89 yards.
Stoerner: 29% completion rate; no-name HB: 6 carries/7 yards.

Game #1 looked like a normal football game to me – back and forth, fairly even, but the Patriots coming out on top because they’re a better team and it’s obvious.

Game #2 looked scripted: Chargers fumble on the first play of the game; a really suspect INT three plays later; lots of “big” plays where the players looked juiced suddenly – runners accelerating, speeding up, etc. Brady’s throws looked like bullets at times. Vinatieri kicked two kickoffs through the uprights, and hit a 51 yard FG with ease.

I’ve been saying for weeks that the CPU vs CPU games are often one-sided affairs that looked scripted. I think they programmed that into the game this year, to make the really good teams even better. I’m really glad people pointed out the performance EQ thing, and I hope this is a way to make the game behave realistically.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2004, 04:52 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalbeats7
i just played a franchise game with EQ turned on with my customized sliders...I was the Packers against the Panthers....and i must say, it deff was a different experience...it seemed to me that the players played alot.....how should i put this....less robotic...i didnt see the defense running around in circles...i didnt see any stupid DB play...

however, i saw a downside...i was up 17-7 in the fourth quarter with 4 minutes to go and the CPU was driving on me...they ended up kicking a field goal with 2:13 left...they proceed to attempt an onside kick...and this is where i saw the problem occur...once their kicker kicked the ball, ALL of the CPU players attacked the ball like MAD MEN...its like they got SUPER SPEED and PURSUIT all of the sudden....ALL 10 of their players (excluding the kicker) were RIGHT AROUND THE BALL before my players even had a chance to touch it...i watched the reply and i couldnt believe me eyes...my guys stood there waiting for the 10 yard kick while the CPU players swarmed to the ball and actually touched it around the 11 yard mark before ONE of my guys could make a play...when the CPU had possession and the whistle blew, ALL of their players where within a 2-3 yard vicinity of the ball and my players were basically still in the onside kickoff shape...I was clear that the performance EQ was in full affect in order to keep the games "Balanced and Fair"...well, this i found to be BEYOND fair...I wish i had some way of recording this play and showing you guys it...

anyway, they ended up driving on me and scoring the game tying touchdown on a 4th and 8 conversion with :02 left....the game went into OT...they won the coin toss, and scored on the insuing drive...i lose the game 23-17.

so yea. Initially the game looked alot better...players seemd to perform at their skill level...less dropped passes...didnt see any DB AI stupidity...oh, I also returned a punt for a TD...CPU QB threw for 3 TDs and only 1 INT. the stats were fantastic, the gameplay was great...but like i mentioned above, there seems to be a SUPER CATCH UP feature implemented when EQ ON...
I don't think the cpu getting the onside kick is the result of the EQ, the cpu gets like 60% of their onside kicks on ANY skill level(from my personal expierience, anyway).

I played a few games against the cpu and my roomate yesterday, and I will agree that the game does seem to play better(less scripted). I didn't see as many big plays, guys way out of position running circles, phantom interceptions or things of that nature. However, QB spy still does NOT work. I tried it in zone/man and whatever else I could think of with no success. Again, I only played a few games with EQ on, so don't take my word as gospel or anything.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:32 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Okay, now that I've done a few games in my NCAA dynasty I'll try this EQ.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:16 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
Okay, now that I've done a few games in my NCAA dynasty I'll try this EQ.
I get better games with it on. But what do I know LOL

Tim
Old 09-04-2004, 08:19 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

I'm a Legend/EQ convert for online play now and am spreading the Gospel far and wide. I started using it about four days ago when someone mentioned it and it does provide the best sim experience in H2H play. I still believe that All-Pro w/o EQ is the best setting for my offline play versus the CPU, but EQ levels the AI playing field when games are Human vs. Human.

Player ratings are still in perfect effect - individuals play according to their actual ratings. But the AI discrepancies based on overall team ratings are discarded. It's been mentioned in other forums that these ratings are based on last year's NFL performance and do not necessarily reflect the talent actually on the team (this can be observed on teams like the Bills, which has far better roster talent than their team's overall offensive rating would suggest).

Performance EQ eliminates poor AI based on such Overall ratings and instead causes indiviual players to play to their actual ability on every play. Thus, things like DB AI are noticably improved and teammate tackling is solid, even against the 'ultimate' teams (Eagles, Pats, etc.)

In H2H play, Performance EQ returns the game to a strategic contest and reduces the cheese and other inequities associated with playing online against a team with inflated Overall team ratings.

Gamertag: Tailgun

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, Gimme your best shot. I can take it."

- Kurt Russell, Big Trouble in Little China
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2004, 10:27 PM   #16
mjb
Rookie

OVR: 3

I recently started playing with eq on and the games do play much better. The only problem I'm having is that it seems like it's impossible to lose. Is anyone else having a problem NOT losing games? Man that sounds like a dumb question,lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Sliders »