Home

Rejuvenation: The Brian Banks Jr. Story

This is a discussion on Rejuvenation: The Brian Banks Jr. Story within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Rejuvenation: The Brian Banks Jr. Story

Disclaimer: This does not serve to discredit or defame Brian Banks. It is partially to honor him and the amazing things he has done after his life was wrongfully made not his own.

Finally exonerated, Brian Banks wants shot at NFL

Posted by Mike Florio on May 25, 2012, 9:52 PM EST

APConvicted of rape and kidnapping in 2003, former California high school football star Brian Banks is now a free man after the victim recanted. Banks told NBC’s Today on Friday that he wants a shot at pro football.
“I think that any team that gives me an opportunity would be really impressed with what I can do despite all of what I’ve been through these past 10 years,” Banks told Ann Curry of Today.

Banks pleaded no contest as part of a deal that put him in prison for six years; he was facing a maximum sentence of 41 years. He remained on probation, wearing a monitoring device on his ankle at the Thursday hearing that wiped the convictions off his record.

Banks’ accuser, Wanetta Gibson, had previously expressed to Banks a desire to tell the truth, but she feared having to repay a $1.5 million settlement with the school district they attended.

Now 26, Banks was a linebacker in high school. He had verbally committed to attend USC.
This article was published in May 2012, shortly after Banks had been freed.

The NFL dreams of Brian Banks, who was exonerated last year after being wrongfully convicted of rape, were cut short when he failed to earn a spot on the Atlanta Falcons' 53-man roster, according to the football team's website.
Banks got the ax on Friday along with 10 other players, the Atlanta Falcons reported. The 28-year-old rookie linebacker had been signed to the team as a free agent in April, and had said playing in the pre-season was "one of the best moments of my life."
READ MORE: Exonerated Football Player Brian Banks Back on the Gridiron After Five Years in Prison
Banks said on Thursday that he had been "fully consumed trying to make this team," but that it was difficult given "all the years that I missed out on football."
"My learning curve is definitely different from a lot of the guys here," Banks said. "I was learning a lot of the one-on-one basic things of football as well as the intermediate things of football and meshing them all together at once in a small period of time. It was definitely challenging, but I've enjoyed myself the whole time."
A rising high school football star from southern California who had been granted a full scholarship to play in the renowned Division 1 program at the University of Southern California, Banks' career was brought to a sudden standstill by a wrongful kidnap-rape conviction in 2002 that put the then-17-year-old behind bars for five years.
Banks was then placed on probation for five years after his 2007 release. He had to register as a sex offender and could not live within 2,000 feet from any school or park. He also had to keep a GPS device around his ankle to ensure that he did not leave the state.
Banks was exonerated in May 2012 after his accuser contacted him on Facebook and recanted her story. He was drafted by the Falcons less than one year later.
READ: Exonerated Football Player Brian Banks Signed by Atlanta Falcons
Banks released a statement after the news came out that he had been waived by the Atlanta football team.
"As most have heard, my time with the Atlanta Falcons have come to an early end. I want to thank Mr. Blank, Dimitroff, & Smith for such an amazing and unforgettable opportunity. This experience has shown me a piece of life that was once taken, and where things (football wise ) would have been if it wasn't for the 10 years of life loss," he said.
"I just want to thank EVERYONE for the amazing outpour of love & support. So much more 2 come from me, Im only beginning. And still #Unbroken," he later tweeted.
While it is unclear whether Banks will continue to pursue a playing career in the NFL, he appears to be booking a series of speaking engagements and appearances, according to his Twitter account.

This article was published by SBNation on August 31, 2013 after Banks had been cut. Banks now serves as a spokesman for the California Innocence Project.

If anyone objects to this thread, please PM me or post so. Any objections, (after the next post) will be considered and this thread will be removed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Re: Rejuvenation: The Brian Banks Jr. Story

17 Years Later
The opposing quarterback calls out the snap count. I read his lips, hear his voice and anticipate where the play is going. Into the backfield I sprint, and the RB goes down for a loss of two.

After the intra-squad scrimmage, I drink Gatorade while coach announces the upcoming plans for the Polytechnic High School Bears. I'm a sure lock for the team: defensive captain, LB, and a force everywhere. I'll be one of the seniors on a team that is hoping to win the state championship, and a team that will do anything to get up if we fall down.

When I'm on the field, I take control of the game. Mistakes happen, but my job is to mitigate them. I anticipate, I tackle, I win.

Just like my father, Brian Banks, taught me to.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 01-16-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Brian Banks Jr.
6-2 233 lbs. 4:58 40
Hometown: Long Beach, CA (Born Atlanta, GA)
School: Polytechnic High School
Position: ROLB (SLB)
Staus: Undeclared

Banks Jr. is the son of former NFL linebacker Brian Banks, who was unjustly and incorrectly sentenced to prison. Banks was invited to training camps with the Seattle Seahawks (2012) and the Atlanta Falcons (2013). Banks Jr. was born in Atlanta but the family returned to California shortly after.
He attends Polytechnic High School and is a senior linebacker there. He also captains the defense. Banks Jr. possesses excellent physical skills, while at the same time combining those skills with refined anticipation and instincts. Banks Jr. can also drop into coverage when necessary.

Overall Ranking: ESPN projects Banks Jr. to be at least a 4-star prospect by the end of his senior year

Current College Choices:
1. USC—Brian Banks Sr. was verbally committed to USC when he was indicted.
2. Georgia (UGA)—Banks Jr. is interested in returning to his birth-state of Georgia.
3. Navy—Banks Jr. likes the tradition, and he has a strong patriotic inclination.
4. UCLA—Another Caifornia college.

Spoiler
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

HS Banner.jpg

Polytechnic Bears Rout La Puente Generals

The Polytechnic High School Bears crushed the La Puente Generals at home in the first game of the high-school season for both teams. The Bears did not concede a point for the first three quarters, racking up 34 points vs. the totally over-matched visitors, before giving up 14 in the 4th quarter after much of their defense had been pulled.

The Bears were led on defense by senior linebacker Brian Banks Jr. He amassed 5 total tackles, with one being for loss. However, he also had a monster sack where the left tackle, sensing inability to block Banks, had tried to chip block him. Banks simply hurdled him and mauled La Puente senior (2-star, Wash. State commit) Preston Douglas for an eight yard sack. The Bears snatched two picks in the win.

Brian Banks Jr. Stats: 5 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Sack (8-yard loss).

College added to choices: UCLA (2-star, 82 on DEF)
Old 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

"What a great game," I think. "Most importantly, the win. I had 5 tackles, 1 for loss and a monster sack. That's what almost everyone will remember about this game."

My dad greets me, after I leave the locker room, with that warm smile of his. We walk back to the car, with me receiving congratulations and cries of "State champions, here we go!" We drive home in near silence, with only a few comments about the win.

I go straight to bed and fall asleep immediately. It's funny: with a win you sleep perfectly, with a loss you'll have bags under your eyes for a week.

In La Puente, Generals' QB Preston Douglas is tossing and turning is his bed. The last thing he sees, before he falls asleep, is his left tackle being hurdled by Polytechnic's #53 and #53 coming... coming... coming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Game 2 vs. Mina Vejo Cougars
We're the home team again against the Mina Vejo Cougars, who started the season 0-1. We score an early six and miss the PAT. I make only one tackle on the ensuing drive, which sees them convert a 16-yard passing TD to go ahead 7-6.

That's how it goes for most of the game, with a lot of punts mixed in with some interceptions. No one can score for another two quarters.

I play not my best game: only a couple of tackles, but luckily some of them are for loss. Finally we put up another TD, but we miss the PAT yet again.

The Cougars drive down the field and they're nearing our red zone. On third and 10 I combine with a DE to make a stop against the run after 4 yards. On the next play, my assignment is their RB. He runs a route in the flat, and their QB hits him around the line of scrimmage. But I'm right there to make the play.

We score another TD after a pick to make the score 19-7, out of reach. They do score another TD, but it doesn't matter as the Bears walk away with a 19-13 win.

I finish the day with 4 tackles, 3 of which were for loss.

After the game, my father comes up to me on the sidelines. Someone says something to him about my performance, and he nods listlessly, even imperceptibly. He comes up to me. "Son, I'm afraid it's time to go home."

Uh oh.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

10 Days Later

Quote:
Coach, just give me a shot. C'mon. One practice to show you what I can do.
I'm sorry Brian, but we have a full roster.
Coach, this is my last chance to play high school football. I'll do anything, even play special teams!
Well...
Just one practice, coach. Just one!

Later that week

Quote:
Well, Brian, the other coaches and I have been very impressed by what you've shown during these practices. We'd like you to start at ROLB next game.
THAT'S GREAT, COACH, I TOLD YOU I'D DO IT!
Woah, slow down. It's just a trial run. And you'll also be playing special teams.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Warriors Lose 28-27 In OT, But Brian Banks Shines
The Grovetown Warriors may have lost 28-27, but they discovered something possibly more important: senior linebacker Brian Banks Jr, the son of Brian Banks. Banks made a game-high 8 tackles, 3 going for loss, and he also forced a fumble for Grovetown.

Spoiler

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »