Home

The Resurrection of Sonoma State

This is a discussion on The Resurrection of Sonoma State within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer Updates?
full article for each week through the season 44 66.67%
brief stats/summary, article updates 4x per season 22 33.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #873
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Resurrection of Sonoma State

Author's Note

I have decided to make a conscious attempt at really opening up my defensive playbook, as I tend to rely on the basics. This means taking more risks and using various zone coverages. I typically would either be man coverage with a blitz, or just cover three. No more, I have to open it up like in real life. It's something I never really thought about until now.

I've also decided to stop using the MLB for the most part, as it tends to be a position I can dominate with. I started this against Fresno State. I've been using the backside safety a bit more, and will only use the MLB on passing downs where I drop into coverage. No user blitzes for me anymore. It should make defense a much tougher task, and I welcome it!

I intended to get the update in today, but I'm having some issues with OS. Anyone having the site crash on them too? I can finally access forums after a few hours, but the table generators still seem to be down. I may not have an update in until tomorrow at this rate, but we shall see!

Major Boise State fan
Old 08-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #874
MVP

RaiderAid89's Arena

Yessir, it’s been crashing for me all day too
Old 08-31-2018, 08:59 PM   #875
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderAid89
Yessir, it’s been crashing for me all day too
Yeah, I have everything written up, but want the html generators up to do my box score. Those are still down. I'm hoping it's available soon! This was an exciting game and I want to share it lol

Major Boise State fan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2018, 09:18 PM   #876
Banned

young22's Arena

Whole site was down for hours, I was gonna do a game writeup myself today

Sent from my SM-A520W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #877
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

HTML editor is still down. I made my box score stuff with excel, so it will be a bit different. Update incoming!

Major Boise State fan
Old 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #878
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

(2023) Week 8: #5 Sonoma State @ Boise State

Upset of the Week: Seawolves Come Up Short in a 30-27 Loss to Boise State
Seawolves run game ineffective | Boise State offense shreds Seawolves defense |38 point 4th quarter leaves fans stunned in wild finish

By Trent Hatmenn, Football Beat Writer
Posted October 14th, 2023

Boise State RB Cole Small powers into the endzone for the game winning touchdown

Boise, ID - In a game that had a high octane, wildly high scoring fourth quarter, the unranked and 21 point underdog Boise State Broncos bested the #5 Sonoma State Seawolves for the first time in school history. Sonoma State woke up late, but the Broncos answered at every opportunity to get a big win over a highly ranked opponent.

Boise State came out firing. They drove the length of the field on their opening drive, with Mario Bentley hitting Darrell Allen for a 9 yard touchdown and a 7-0 lead. After that, things slowed down for both sides. Sonoma State went three and out on four of their first five possessions. Boise State’s Cole Small rattled off a 72 yard run late in the first to put Boise State at the Sonoma State 1 yard line, but they had to settle for a field goal ultimately.

Midway through the second quarter, trailing 10-0, Sonoma State showed a spark. They put together three straight first downs, but ran out of gas when A.C. Sonora went down with an injury. He left the game and was diagnosed with a concussion. Without him, the offense lost it’s luster and punted away. With 1:25 to go, Boise State added another field, making it 13-0. Sonoma State, under the guidance of freshman Zach Bishop, rallied. They pieced together a decent drive getting into position for a Dominic Hardin field goal. By the half, Boise State was up 13-3.

The third quarter nearly started off disastrous for the Seawolves, as Bishop fumbled an option run and Boise State snagged it at the Seawolves 15. After review, however, Bishop was determined to have been down by contact. The Seawolves capitalized on a very lucky break and drove into Bronco territory, but sputtered after a sack. Dominic Hardin came to the rescue again, nailing a 55 yard field goal to make it 13-6. The rest of the third, neither offense could find their way.

The fourth quarter proved to be an explosion. With Sonoma State trailing 13-6, Bishop hit Myers for an 11 yard touchdown to tie it up, 13-13. Boise State, however, was unfazed. On 3rd and 11, Bentley hit Eddie Pino for a 47 yard gain on a tipped pass. Three plays later, Bentley ran it in himself to take a 20-13 lead.

Sonoma State took their time getting downfield. On 3rd and 6, Bishop hit Johnny Ridgeway for a first. He was knocked down on the pass, and had to leave the game. James Cantrell, who was forced into action, came into the game for the following play. He took a read option 23 yards to the Boise State 3 yard line, and Kalama ran it in the next play to tie it 20-20. Bishop had the wind knocked out of him, and was able to return.

Boise State added a field goal with just 2:08 remaining, making it 23-20. Bishop and the Seawolves came out determined to score. After opening the drive 3/3, he hit Damien Myers deep for a 51 yard touchdown. Myers shed a defender after making the contested catch to score, and the Seawolves had their first lead, 27-23.

Unfortunately for the Seawolves, they left too much time. Boise State answered right back, spanning the field in 7 plays and capping it with an 8 yard touchdown run by Cole Small. They retook the lead 30-27. Bishop came in intending to answer, but finally the freshman faltered. He went deep on the first play, and was picked off by A.J. Baker. After a 38 point 4th quarter, Boise State took the win 30-27.

“We had some golden opportunities we didn’t capitalize on,” said Sonoma State Coach Scott Wright. “We made some mistakes, and let this one get away. It’s very disappointing.” The Seawolves were a heavy favorite, especially coming off a bye week. Wright, however, seemed very pleased with Bishop, who was 26/41 for 319 yards. “I know that last touchdown left a lot of time for Boise, but I loved to see him confident throwing it deep like that. If we had a do-over, I’d tell him look underneath and work the clock a bit. We should have tried to make that the final possession,” Wright said.

The game also seemed to mar the Seawolves with injuries. Sonoma left the game, but several others missed time. Kalama, Bishop, and Myers all had to come out at one point or another for injuries. “Kalama may have strained something, same with Myers. We will have them evaluated fully when were back home. Bishop just had the wind knocked out of him, he’s fine,” said Wright. “It’s a shame we had to burn Cantrell’s redshirt for one play, but we can check with the NCAA and see if there’s a workaround,” Wright told reporters.

With two losses, the Seawolves now officially have their worst record since 2018, when they went 12-2. The two losses are both in conference, and pose a serious threat to their chances of winning a conference championship. “We have to take it one game at a time, and hope for some help with some losses elsewhere,” said Wright. “We’re still very much in this,” he said.

Quick Notes
-Sonoma State threw for a season high 319 yards
-Boise State racked up 5 sacks
-Sonoma State was held to under 100 rushing yards for the first time this season

A Look Ahead
Sonoma State doesn’t have long to lick their wounds. They travel to Kansas next weekend to take on the 4-1 Jayhawks. Sonoma State has won both meetings between the schools, most recently in 48-31 win at home in 2020. Kansas, however, is looking stronger than ever.

Photo Gallery

Boise State's RB Cole Small goes 72 yards before CB Mike Crawford shoves him out of bounds at the Seawolves 1 yard line

Seawolves RB A.C. Sonora receives attention on the field while he is down injured. Sonora was diagnosed with a concussion and did not return in the game

Boise State players celebrate a stop to force a Seawolves field goal just before the half

Coach Wright gives QB Zach Bishop some advice while a fumble is under review. The review showed Bishop's knee was down, and the Seawolves drive continued

QB Zach Bishop was under pressure all day, going down on 5 sacks

LB Jeff Johnson and company celebrate a tackle for loss to force a Boise State punt. The defenses both played well for 3 quarters, but fell apart in the 4th

Zach Bishop fires a quick slant to Damien Myers for a 4th quarter touchdown

WR Damien Myers celebrates a TD catch that tied the game in the 4th. Myers had a career day with 11 catches for 191 yards and 2 TD's

QB James Cantrell was forced to come in for an injured Zach Bishop. He rattled off a 23 yard run on his first play to set up a Seawolves TD to tie it back up

Damien Myers snagged a deep ball and shook off a defender to score a touchdown with 1:37 to go, giving the Seawolves their first lead of the day

A late interception by Boise State safety A.J. Baker seals the win for the Broncos

Boise State QB Mario Bentley trots off the field after being named player of the game

Box Score

Major Boise State fan

Last edited by SilverBullet19; 09-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #879
Banned

young22's Arena

Real tough loss. Bishop played well, which is good to see, but it really sucks to lose Sonora, even if it's just for a bit. Kansas should be a win next week, unless they're good in this dynasty?

Old 09-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #880
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
Real tough loss. Bishop played well, which is good to see, but it really sucks to lose Sonora, even if it's just for a bit. Kansas should be a win next week, unless they're good in this dynasty?

Kansas is pretty good. They’re 4-1 so by next week they’re either same as us at 4-2 or 5-1. We last played in 2019 and 2020 and we had some issues against them for sure, so it’s far from an easy win like real life lol.

Bishop started slow but came on strong. If he can perform well a bit earlier we should have a good shot. Without Sonora, we will need Kalama to carry the load.

Thanks for checking in bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Major Boise State fan

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »