Home

Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

This is a discussion on Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #345
MVP

Miles Perry's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

Been MIA for a while but just caught up with this. Losing 3 out of the last 5 hurts after winning 5 straight... If your QB can cut down on the INTs LSU could be dangerous next year!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #346

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHossRadbourn
After back to back to back 8-5 seasons is the LSU fanbase starting to get restless?(Even though it was your first year) You came in with sky high expectations for sure and this feels like they fanbase could be thinking "more of the same" with you. Did they expect more? I forget what your contract goals were. How long is your leash?
I don't know if restless is the right word, considering this was Geezy's first year, but yeah, the fanbase is starving at this point to get back to the glory years.

As for the contract goals, they are as follows - 1.) finish in Top 25, 2.) win SEC title, and 3.) play in a January Bowl Game.

I believe goal #1 should be accomplished next season, and we have already achieved goal #3 by virtue of last season's Gator Bowl berth. Goal #2 is going to be the tough one, but I am thinking even if we don't get that one, 2 out of 3 should suffice for an extension.

Coach Geezy is going into year 2 of a 3 year contract, a contract length I found odd for a new coach stepping in, but whatever; we just gotta roll with the punches and take care of business. This is really a pivotal year though.

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
Not the most ideal way to end the season, but I think it was a perfect microcosm of your season as a whole. The offense was explosive at times, but the gunslinger needs to be reeled in on occasions! Obviously, that's up to you to determine if it's the scheme that's putting him into bad positions with few options and leads to forced plays that turn into turnovers, or if it's just a matter of mental mistakes under center. Either way, another offseason in the scheme should put Mason in as good a position as any to succeed! The defense is the same way, there were some truly dominant performances but then some real head scratchers where you were blown out of the water. Getting just some solid recruits in and upping the overall talent level will do worlds of difference, and I think next season is the season to really make a charge!
Coming off of the 2026 season, in which my Tulane QB Jimmy McBride threw 42 touchdowns compared to just 10 interceptions, I know better efficiency is something I have in me. I can specifically recall last season going into every game consciously taking better care of the ball and it showed in the final stats McBride had. I hate to admit it, but I played a little more recklessly last season, with a gun-slinger mentality, and we can't have that if we want to be successful moving forward.

Granted, McBride also had guys that got open far more often than my LSU receivers did just based on sheer talent-level, but being mindful of not committing errors is something I need to get back to in 2028.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1zzo23
Go Texas! That was a season for the ages for the Longhorns and their QB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes I don't know what it is about Texas, but their offensive stars really thrive year after year. The 50 touchdown, 1 interception season by Joe Jones ranks just under former Longhorns Heisman winner Adam Alexander's 50 touchdown, 0 interception season in 2019.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Texas in title games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
One quarterback throws four TDs and three picks and the other throws five TDs and four picks. Interesting game. Sorry you lost it.

I hope you can rely on the run game more next year, regardless which playbook you use.

I had no idea your leading receiver was a tight-end. The fact that your leading tackler was the free safety is also interesting - leads one to believe the first two levels of defense had some big holes and he was doing a lot of cleanup.

Interesting bowl results in general. Texas pasted Michigan.

Good luck this off-season!
Agree with everything you said here. I went back to my other threads and studied my 2015-2019 Tulane teams; the thing that sticks out the most is just how we utilized our running backs a lot differently than I have in recent years. A second running back emerging as a star is critical for us, and I also want to get back to throwing more high-percentage passes to my backs as I did in the past. That will lead to more efficiency and less turnovers.

Our defense was so inconsistent last year, but I think a lot of that was just due to learning a new scheme, along with the obvious talent deficiencies. I think as our secondary improves, it will allow us to utilize more man coverage on the edges so that we can stack more guys in the box to stop the run as well as call more run blitzes confidently.

Something else that stood out on the old stat sheets was our dominance in time of possession, week after week. We need to get back to playing good, complimentary offensive football in order to help limit opponent's opportunities to make plays on offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddell
Well, the season might have not ended ideally, but things look pretty promising in Baton Rouge.
Thanks, Riddell. We have a hell of a schedule to navigate through, but I have a very good feeling about our squad next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Perry
Been MIA for a while but just caught up with this. Losing 3 out of the last 5 hurts after winning 5 straight... If your QB can cut down on the INTs LSU could be dangerous next year!
There is no question that the biggest key to next year will be fewer turnovers. There is no reason why Mason should be throwing close to 20 interceptions. And something else that isn't listed on the stat sheet is that he fumbled the ball 14 times, and we had 22 as a team, though we obviously recovered several of them. I plan to spend a lot of time in the lab trying to figure out how to cut down on turnovers so that we can be more consistent and efficient overall.

Thanks for checking in everyone...by the way, the front page has been updated with all the latest stats and info.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 06-02-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #347

Deegeezy's Arena

Old 05-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #348
Coach Porter Davis

djp73's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Coach Geezy in the Big Easy Part III: Legacy | From Bourbon St. to the Bayou

that will be interesting!
Purdue going independent?
Old 05-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #349

Deegeezy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp73
that will be interesting!
Purdue going independent?
Yes, Purdue will be going independent. What's unique about this version of NCAA, is that Conference movements only come in the form of invites. If a team gets an invitation, the game tells you which team they're being invited to replace.

In 2014, Tulane got an invite to replace Mississippi St. in the SEC.

Notre Dame got an invitation to the Big 10 a season or two ago, but the game wanted them to replace a very good Wisconsin team oddly, so I declined to allow the move. Purdue though, is a 1-star prestige school at this stage who went 1-12 last season, so I decided to let the move pass.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #350

Deegeezy's Arena

LSU Tigers News Clips

QB Rob Mason is LSU's all-time leading passer with 10,241 passing yards and 78 career passing touchdowns, and hopes to build on those numbers in his senior season next fall.

report courtesy Eve Jewell, ESPN/SEC Network

LSU | QB Rob Mason to return for senior season
Wed, 12 Jan 2028 11:21:10 -0700

Eve Jewell of ESPN's SEC Network reports that LSU QB Rob Mason (83 ovr, pre-progression), who just completed his junior season, will return to Baton Rouge for his senior year next fall. Mason, a former 4-star recruit who ESPN NFL Draft Analyst Todd McShay projected as a likely third round pick in the 2028 NFL Draft, released a statement on his Instagram account to deliver the news:

"There is only one period of time in your life where you get a chance to win a Heisman Trophy, or SEC title, or even a National Title. College football gives you 5 years to play 4 seasons, and I am very pumped up to announce that I plan to exhaust my eligibility and remain at LSU for one more go at this thing. Pro football will still be there for me next year and I am in no hurry to rush life. I love my school, I love my teammates, and I love the program Coach Geezy is installing and I want to finish my career off right."

Mason finished the 2027 season with a career-high 3,806 passing yards and 25 touchdown passes, but will need to improve on the 19 interceptions he threw this past year, his first year under LSU offensive coordinator Anthony High system, who is currently in the running for Auburn's vacant head coaching position. In addition to his contributions in the passing game, the speedy Mason used his 4.4 speed to rush for 443 yards and 6 touchdowns, both career-highs, and even contributed 4 receptions for 62 yards when lined up in the slot on occasion in special packages. Despite his impressive stats and tremendous running ability however, Mason and the Tigers finished 2027 with an 8-5 record for a third consecutive season with him as the team's starting quarterback.

The Gretna, Louisiana native, who was also heavily recruited by Tigers head coach D. Geezy back when he coached at Tulane, will be one of a whopping 9 starters expected to return for LSU's offense next fall, a unit many expect to take a big leap in 2028.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 06-02-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #351
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Yeah that move makes plenty sense all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #352
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Yes, Purdue will be going independent. What's unique about this version of NCAA, is that Conference movements only come in the form of invites. If a team gets an invitation, the game tells you which team they're being invited to replace.

In 2014, Tulane got an invite to replace Mississippi St. in the SEC.

Notre Dame got an invitation to the Big 10 a season or two ago, but the game wanted them to replace a very good Wisconsin team oddly, so I declined to allow the move. Purdue though, is a 1-star prestige school at this stage who went 1-12 last season, so I decided to let the move pass.

NCAA loves that ND to the Big10 move. Always has. As a domer I can't stand it because ND sees itself(and always has) as a more Eastern facing school and was more aligned with the Big East and now ACC...but it's a virtual world so we'll have to deal with it.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 04-05-2020 at 10:09 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »