Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 AM   #73
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
You know, a similar argument was made for the PS4 version of The Show. People complained they took too much of the PS3 stuff over, and that things LOOKED a lot like the PS3 version did etc.... It's Baseball!!, How much different is it supposed to look??? Same thing here, It's Golf!!!!, How much different do you want it to look?? (Not attacking YOU personally there, just in general) (Just to say, I didn't watch your video, I just said this going solely off your post.)
The PS3 is a HD console. Of course details will or at least should look better on the newer machines but if anyone expected Star Trek NG here they will be disappointed in the current gen of machines.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #74
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Gameplay Video - Arnold Palmer Invitational & More Details

That video was great! You have to take the good with the bad obviously, with the worst negative being that the guy played on Arcade mode and set his golfer up with over-the-top celebrations.

But you see where this game is going to shine and I noticed instantly the different flight path of the ball in the air. Having just played TW13 using Follow Cam and watching this video, the differences are extremely noticeable.

A real golf ball travels in a sort of upwards trajectory, and once the spin is able to catch up so to speak, the ball "balloons" down, hitting a mini wall almost. In the old TW games, every shot was a line drive so to speak and that's why the ball physics looked a little odd.

But watch the guy hit driver, watch the ball continue to rise ever so slightly for about 80% of the ball flight, then start coming down relatively quickly. Well. Done. Devs. A thing of beauty.

And though I'm not a huge fan of the follow cam, they've even improved it here for what it is and its most noticeable on the dog leg. They keep the hole and green in view, so the follow cam almost turns to look at the hole while keeping the ball on screen. Not my thing but a nice change.

I had faith and it feels like my faith will be rewarded. Looks like a great step up and foundation for next gen golf. Totally forgot to mention, love the presentation. Nobilo is one of my favorites, a great addition to the series.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #75
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
Nobilo is one of my favorites, a great addition to the series.

YES! The commentary! So far, this seems like a great addition, maybe the most significant. Commentary has grown SO stale in sports games, (The Show ugh!), and it sounds like the booth here has a very easy, unforced style that is a very welcomed addition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #76
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Tough to judge without taking swings for myself, but it seems predictably easy. Hopefully an increase in difficulty settings will also mean a more sensitive swing stick. Anybody can play well if you're in the fairway every time. In The Golf Club, hitting fairways feels like an accomplishment on harder courses.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #77
Banned

OVR: 4

Honestly, (EA ARE YOU LISTENING?? lol) If they want to show us what they really have in store, show us a regular 18 hole round playing the first 5,6 or 7 holes to show the no load times, play different fairways so we can see how that's worked out, and USE RORY! He's the cover dude, like seriously.... show off Rory's likeness, celebrations, and style. (They SHOULDN'T have HIM with crazy celebrations). That's what we need to see.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #78
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w
YES!!! Great point, and I thought about that, too. In looking up old TW Videos, I did the same for The Show and it's the exact same thing! Same animations, motion caps, whatever. In old PS2 graphics, but the same moves.

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know all the terms and labels. Whether it's assets, resources, mo-caps, scripts, etc (shrug), I don't know.

But it you play The Golf Club, you'll see it's... different from other golf games - in it's presentation, camera angles, views, transitions, etc. If you play Golden Tee Golf, you'll see it's different. Same with Hot Shots.

If you look at TW Golf from 2009 on, you'll see an incredible sameness from year to year. Right up until this year. Some might call that consistency. :-)

It's not an insult, by any means, Lord knows I spend my $60 bucks every year on it (except last year, of course). But I don't buy that they rewrote this year's version from scratch. It's way too similar.

Oh - and go look at the vid!
Yes, there is somewhat of a "sameness" because the course laser scanning data is still the same. The course textures are still the same. The tools they use to build their 3D models of Golfers, flags, gallery, objects and trees, grass, bushes, water, skies are still the same. But they still have to build them from scratch. Why?

EA wanted to get as far away from the 10 year old Tiger engine as they could as it had become a complex mess of programming to the point that it had become a house of cards as their only patch for TW14 attested to. Fixed one thing, then broke 3 other things and they walked away from it. I think they realized that it had just become an unstable mess of an engine that had so many features added, subtracted, then added more over the years that they had to rebuild from a much more stable and scalable engine which is Frostbite 3. During TW14 Community Day I had actually suggested they use FB3 or some other engine when they came out with TW15 and they nodded in approval, but did not verbally affirm this. Glad they made the move they have so far, just anxious to play it here like most of you to see what, if any differences there may be.

So you can claim that they did not rewrite RM from scratch. But your opinion is just that, an opinion. Sorry you feel they are lying about this. I think once you get our hands on the game and put it though it's paces, you may or may not feel differently. Looking forward to July 9th here....

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 07-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #79
Banned

OVR: 4

I think a MAJOR problem of this was the ridiculous architecture of the PS3 Hardware. The engine was written for the PS3/360 consoles, but the PS3 was a very stupidly designed piece of architecture. (And THAT'S why TW had a crap engine, and Madden has had legacy issues for years, and whatever else). I'm actually glad Rory's using FB and built from scratch. I just wish they would've wrote Ignite from scratch instead of bringing over legacy codes as a base. (And you can't tell me they didn't).
Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #80
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
I think a MAJOR problem of this was the ridiculous architecture of the PS3 Hardware. The engine was written for the PS3/360 consoles, but the PS3 was a very stupidly designed piece of architecture. (And THAT'S why TW had a crap engine, and Madden has had legacy issues for years, and whatever else). I'm actually glad Rory's using FB and built from scratch. I just wish they would've wrote Ignite from scratch instead of bringing over legacy codes as a base. (And you can't tell me they didn't).
Nah, that engine was from TW06.....and the same issues existed on BOTH consoles even though the 360 was easier to program for....the old TW engine had heaps of new code thrown at it and it simply broke down under that weight. That is one reason they chose Frostbite3 as it is infinitely more stable and reliable than the old TW engine was, especially for programming.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »