Home

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Available Today - Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Available Today - Post Your Impressions Here within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #409
Rookie

BevoXIII's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Available Today - Post Your Impressions Here

So I'm playing Tour Mode, and my created golfer is an overall 83 in career mode. I just had a new attribute bonus added, and I went to check it out. I usually play Go For the Green, but after browsing through the list and backing out to the main menu all the putting attributes, short, mid, long, putting stroke are now all at 100. When I level up and the game randomly adds upgrades it will occasionally add to my putting even thought it's maxed out. Anyone see this, and if so have a solution? Thanks!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #410
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaman11
No one here called zoom a "cheat". It's more like playing on rookie. You can justify it all you'd like, but there's nothing realistic about shooting 45 under in any PGA event.
Listen, to each his own. You can easily make the game play more realistic (frustratingly so, in fact). But I think it's fair to say realism isn't what you're after, so...kudos to you sir and your -45.
If realism is what I was after, I'd want the settings to be where I was shooting 90+ each round and breaking 90 on a great day...so no, realism isn't quite what I'm after if we're being true to the definition.

Not attempting to justify the zoom, I'm just saying it doesn't make as big of a difference as some think it does. Shooting anywhere from -25 to -35 in a PGA event had I turned the zoom off also isn't realistic...especially in my "Pro" golfer's 3rd or so event on Tour ever. -25 or better has only been accomplished 6 times in the past 5 years on Tour.

I know what you're thinking -- turn the green grids off. That along with the zoom are the only features I don't have on the hardest setting according to board consensus (along with the 3-click swing, which we've also discussed). And like others have said, turning the grids off just isn't realistic either because it's still more difficult to read the greens on a screen than in real life. Even on next-gen, they don't have the amount of detail you need to be able to accurately read a green on sight alone.

But like you said, to each their own.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #411
Banned

ROTTEN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblake78
If realism is what I was after, I'd want the settings to be where I was shooting 90+ each round and breaking 90 on a great day...so no, realism isn't quite what I'm after if we're being true to the definition.

Not attempting to justify the zoom, I'm just saying it doesn't make as big of a difference as some think it does. Shooting anywhere from -25 to -35 in a PGA event had I turned the zoom off also isn't realistic...especially in my "Pro" golfer's 3rd or so event on Tour ever. -25 or better has only been accomplished 6 times in the past 5 years on Tour.

I know what you're thinking -- turn the green grids off. That along with the zoom are the only features I don't have on the hardest setting according to board consensus (along with the 3-click swing, which we've also discussed). And like others have said, turning the grids off just isn't realistic either because it's still more difficult to read the greens on a screen than in real life. Even on next-gen, they don't have the amount of detail you need to be able to accurately read a green on sight alone.

But like you said, to each their own.
I agree. All turning off the green grids does for me is take all the fun out of the game. The greens in these golf games are obviously not meant to be read with out the grid as they just don't have the detail nessessary to do so and it certainly has nothing to do with being more "sim"

That being said it's great that people can turn the grid off and enjoy the game the way they want. Options are a wonderful thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #412
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTEN
I agree. All turning off the green grids does for me is take all the fun out of the game. The greens in these golf games are obviously not meant to be read with out the grid as they just don't have the detail nessessary to do so and it certainly has nothing to do with being more "sim"

That being said it's great that people can turn the grid off and enjoy the game the way they want. Options are a wonderful thing.
If the greens weren't able to be read without grids, there would be no option to turn them off. Like anything else it takes practice and patience. About once a round now I am sinking a 20-30 foot putt that I read correctly and it is far more fun to me than putting with a grid. Putting grids feel like training wheels to me in both RM and TGC. And I refuse to engage in "simulation" discussions any longer because there are differing opinions with virtually everyone who has an opinion, so reaching any sort of consensus on what constitutes a "simulation" is moot, IMO. Play what you like and like what you play.....

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 08-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #413
Banned

ROTTEN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
If the greens weren't able to be read without grids, there would be no option to turn them off. Like anything else it takes practice and patience. About once a round now I am sinking a 20-30 foot putt that I read correctly and it is far more fun to me than putting with a grid. Putting grids feel like training wheels to me in both RM and TGC. And I refuse to engage in "simulation" discussions any longer because there are differing opinions with virtually everyone who has an opinion, so reaching any sort of consensus on what constitutes a "simulation" is moot, IMO. Play what you like and like what you play.....
I have to disagree with the grid being "training wheels" as the grid simply shows the slope of the green and does no tell you where to aim the marker. Training wheels to me would be the aiming ark.

That being said I'll give no grid a try again on RM as I've only tried it once figuring it would be the same as TGC. I didn't like it at all on TGC .... not one bit.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #414
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROTTEN
I have to disagree with the grid being "training wheels" as the grid simply shows the slope of the green and does no tell you where to aim the marker. Training wheels to me would be the aiming ark.

That being said I'll give no grid a try again on RM as I've only tried it once figuring it would be the same as TGC. I didn't like it at all on TGC .... not one bit.
Agree to disagree.....grids take ALL of the guesswork out of putting, so having played video game Golf for 25 years, I can call grids "training wheels". Sorry you feel differently.

Xbox One Elite Controller

The Golf Club 2
Old 08-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #415

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Agree to disagree.....grids take ALL of the guesswork out of putting, so having played video game Golf for 25 years, I can call grids "training wheels". Sorry you feel differently.
Tim, your elitist attitude is really off-putting at times. You can't say "agree to disagree" then make a condescending remark towards someone saying the way they are playing is like using training wheels.

Do you not see how crappy that is? You ask others to post more maturely towards EA all the time but often times don't practice that in response to others.

We all know your experience as you like to constantly remind everyone. Experience means nothing towards maturely posting towards others.

I'm not saying this as a moderator so report it if you wish to other mods. I'm saying this as a fellow golf fan and poster on this website.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #416
Rookie

PRO_TOO's Arena

I'm still having fun since day one. Sure there are flaws like quantity and customization. But it's fun!!

@keirik: maybe I have a weird face but I could create a character that looks like me!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »