Home

Straight swing

This is a discussion on Straight swing within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Straight swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopsta007
Spoiler
Thank you for your input.

I am on Level 30 at the moment. In other words, I have invested a TON of time -- and practice -- into this game. Quite frankly I have always struggled just as much using Pro clubs as I do with Master clubs -- simply because my problem is keeping a straight swing line. (Therefore dropping down to Pro clubs won't matter too much, other than the undesirable effect of decreasing my distances. Beginner clubs are way too easy to be fun.) My tempo is usually pretty good and isn't much of a problem. But sometimes I will get into these "ruts" and my swing will consistently hook left, or push right, and I just can't get out of it, as if my analog stick has become biased to that angle. And then there are times my swing input produces some pretty gnarly lines that resemble sideways "M's" or jaggies. (And, yes, I have tried 5 different controllers, including 2 new ones.)

It's just incredibly hard to swing consistently straight in this game. And requires me to put in an insane amount of focus, concentrating on how I'm holding the controller, my hand/finger position, and even how I am sitting! which can be very frustrating because it doesn't make for the most relaxing gaming experience. My best round was using Master clubs shooting a -15, but that was a major exception to the rule -- most times I shoot around -2, to as bad as +10, or to the point of withdrawing.

Last night I had my best round in a while (-7), and what seemed helpful was -- before swinging -- looking down at my controller and visualizing a vertical line along the analog stick, and then pulling the stick back multiple times (a "waggle") to kind of get into the "groove" of a straight line ... and then looking back up at the screen and continuing to visualize a straight line as i finally let 'er rip. This worked last night -- but by tonight that magic will disappear!!!

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 11-30-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
Pro

vertman's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Thank you for your input.

I am on Level 30 at the moment. In other words, I have invested a TON of time -- and practice -- into this game. Quite frankly I have always struggled just as much using Pro clubs as I do with Master clubs -- simply because my problem is keeping a straight swing line. (Therefore dropping down to Pro clubs won't matter too much, other than the undesirable effect of decreasing my distances. Beginner clubs are way too easy to be fun.) My tempo is usually pretty good and isn't much of a problem. But sometimes I will get into these "ruts" and my swing will consistently hook left, or push right, and I just can't get out of it, as if my analog stick has become biased to that angle. And then there are times my swing input produces some pretty gnarly lines that resemble sideways "M's" or jaggies. (And, yes, I have tried 5 different controllers, including 2 new ones.)

It's just incredibly hard to swing consistently straight in this game. And requires me to put in an insane amount of focus, concentrating on how I'm holding the controller, my hand/finger position, and even how I am sitting! which can be very frustrating because it doesn't make for the most relaxing gaming experience. My best round was using Master clubs shooting a -15, but that was a major exception to the rule -- most times I shoot around -2, to as bad as +10, or to the point of withdrawing.

Last night I had my best round in a while (-7), and what seemed helpful was -- before swinging -- looking down at my controller and visualizing a vertical line along the analog stick, and then pulling the stick back multiple times (a "waggle") to kind of get into the "groove" of a straight line ... and then looking back up at the screen and continuing to visualize a straight line as i finally let 'er rip. This worked last night -- but by tonight that magic will disappear!!!
No doubt if I loose my swing at some point I always go back to looking at the controller when I swing. Helps a lot. My biggest problem with this game and the others before it is it seems like I miss every putt by a hair, at least 6 or 7 a round. Its maddening. game is a lot of fun though. Enjoy.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertman
No doubt if I loose my swing at some point I always go back to looking at the controller when I swing. Helps a lot. My biggest problem with this game and the others before it is it seems like I miss every putt by a hair, at least 6 or 7 a round. Its maddening. game is a lot of fun though. Enjoy.
I've tried to look down at my controller during my actual swing, but then I can get the tempo down because i can't see my player's swing animation. (This is made doubly hard because my TV is elevated up high on a mantel.)

But I think I might revert to that when I am struggling badly and I really need a good shot.

Yeah putting can be just as frustrating. Although typically my best rounds are thanks to good putting, or the putting will keep me within range of par or Even...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
Pro

vertman's Arena

Quote:
I've tried to look down at my controller during my actual swing, but then I can get the tempo down because i can't see my player's swing animation. (This is made doubly hard because my TV is elevated up high on a mantel.)

But I think I might revert to that when I am struggling badly and I really need a good shot.

Yeah putting can be just as frustrating. Although typically my best rounds are thanks to good putting, or the putting will keep me within range of par or Even...
Sometimes I feel that it isn't even us when we had an off tempo swing, I feel like it is either the lag input with the controller, ( unless you are using a mouse) or just the lag from the HB servers. I play on xbox so I have experienced this on a number of occasions. Sometimes it is my fault but not always. As for putting it has definitely made some of my rounds perfect as I was knocking everything in from any spot on the green. A few chip ins help too! When my putting is off that is when I struggle and its usually only by an inch or two.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

I have the same issue with my swing also. Sadly I’m as bad at this game as I am at actual golf (which I haven’t played in probably 10 years).

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

Quote:
Sometimes I feel that it isn't even us when we had an off tempo swing, I feel like it is either the lag input with the controller, ( unless you are using a mouse) or just the lag from the HB servers. I play on xbox so I have experienced this on a number of occasions. Sometimes it is my fault but not always. As for putting it has definitely made some of my rounds perfect as I was knocking everything in from any spot on the green. A few chip ins help too! When my putting is off that is when I struggle and its usually only by an inch or two.

I am on the hb-studios forums, and this is something that many swear happens. For the longest time, I didn't really buy it, and always blamed myself. But this past weekend, it seemed so blatant. I would intentionally hold my backswing at the top for a second before my downswing, and it would still register as "fast" tempo. It was ridiculous. Personally, I hate the whole tempo mechanic.

I tried looking down at my controller when swinging the past couple nights, and had some success. On a couple rounds, I began the first 2 holes with a birdie, and an eagle. But as the round progressed, I started running into tempo issues -- some maybe related to the game's "lag", but I'd mostly place the blame on not being able to see my swing animation on the swing because I am looking down... I do however think looking down at the controller & swinging for a little while gets me in more of the groove of swinging straight, perhaps.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #15
Pro

vertman's Arena

Quote:
I am on the hb-studios forums, and this is something that many swear happens. For the longest time, I didn't really buy it, and always blamed myself. But this past weekend, it seemed so blatant. I would intentionally hold my backswing at the top for a second before my downswing, and it would still register as "fast" tempo. It was ridiculous. Personally, I hate the whole tempo mechanic.

I tried looking down at my controller when swinging the past couple nights, and had some success. On a couple rounds, I began the first 2 holes with a birdie, and an eagle. But as the round progressed, I started running into tempo issues -- some maybe related to the game's "lag", but I'd mostly place the blame on not being able to see my swing animation on the swing because I am looking down... I do however think looking down at the controller & swinging for a little while gets me in more of the groove of swinging straight, perhaps.
Yup that's basically how I do it, just to get the tempo "feel" for a few holes but like you said if you keep looking down it will bite you at some point. Not looking to point out the short comings of HB studious or the servers because it really is a good game that I enjoy playing but its really hard to overlook that detail when it screws up the swing. I have played both games before this one and it was present in those games as well. Crazy thing too that I posted a while ago in another thread was that I feel like the controller has a lot to do with it also. I have 3 controllers. One black one which I only use for this game because of its responsiveness to the game itself seems perfect but when I try to use one of my white controllers they do not seem to respond well and my shots are all over the place. Seems absolutely crazy but its true. Weird input lag or something. All controllers have the latest firmware updates also. Curious to see if any PC players experience this with a mouse .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #16
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

Quote:
Yup that's basically how I do it, just to get the tempo "feel" for a few holes but like you said if you keep looking down it will bite you at some point. Not looking to point out the short comings of HB studious or the servers because it really is a good game that I enjoy playing but its really hard to overlook that detail when it screws up the swing. I have played both games before this one and it was present in those games as well. Crazy thing too that I posted a while ago in another thread was that I feel like the controller has a lot to do with it also. I have 3 controllers. One black one which I only use for this game because of its responsiveness to the game itself seems perfect but when I try to use one of my white controllers they do not seem to respond well and my shots are all over the place. Seems absolutely crazy but its true. Weird input lag or something. All controllers have the latest firmware updates also. Curious to see if any PC players experience this with a mouse .
Man, I must say, I've been looking down at my controller while swinging on a full-time basis (except for quarter- and half-power shots) ... and this is the most consistent I've been. Hitting a much better percentage of fairways & greens.

There is still the obstacle of getting perfect tempo with me not being able to watch my character's animation -- but I adjust to getting the timing down while swinging "blindly", if you will.

So far I am liking the results

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »