Home

Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright?

This is a discussion on Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #105
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Remember 2015 - When Golf Gaming looked so bright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
And it's not only the "sim" crowd....
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...&postcount=453

None of this obviates tweaking the business model to one that fits with this type of market. The wise project manager expects this and knows to listen to the incessant whining as a source of potential useful feedback, take what's worth working on and ignore what doesn't fit with a vision for the future of the title. Compared to what it took to get TGC then TGC 2019 to market moving the product forward in a way compatible w/ at least paying the rent and making some profit will take wisdom but I'm sure it could be done--I just don't have a clue if anyone at HBS has the type of vision required to pull it off so time will tell and it helps hugely that the biggest players have bailed already.

In the mean time send HBS your well thought out feedback on how to move the sim forward and potentially be part of the solution and help offset the impact of the incessant whiners. For the frustration and toil required to code I can imagine hearing nothing but complaints would be very discouraging.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #106
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
And it's not only the "sim" crowd. The course designers are very vocal and they're saying they're the one HBS should spend maximum resources because they're the one more important, and TGC wouldn't exist without them. They have a very long laundry list of what they want in TGC, and threatening to not buy a new game if they're not there. And most of them are barely golfing and don't care much about golf, they're spending thousand of hours building golf courses. That's their passion.

Then you have the TGC Tour guys with a long list of laundry. They're the serious players in TGC. It starts with the PS4 guys are the top of the leaderboard, the game is easier for them and they want HBS to make the game harder for them. And even within the PS4 guys, we have all those wanting HBS to find a solution because it's unfair guys with short swing or flicker are at the top of the leaderboard. Those same guys also threatening to not buy a new game and if the leader of TGC Tour decided to stick with TGC 2019, they wouldn't have to.

And then we have the multiplayer crowd, which is going down in a hurry, because they're unhappy the way it's working. They want a lobby, and it's unfair that guys with beginner and pro clubs are at the top of the rated leaderboard. And they too are threatening to not buy a new game if it's not fixed.

And finally the guys whining about everything. Trajectory too high, not high enough. Too much spin, not enough spin. Too much roll, not enough roll. Rough is not penal enough, bunker lie are never what it should be. Other have too many low scores, it's too easy. blah blah blah blah.

And then you have all the bugs and there are many, starting with the leaderboards, ball instead of tees, etc, etc, etc. And a lot of customers are threatening to not buy another golf game if it's not fixed.

And all those guys don't want that in the next game in a year or in 5 years, they don't even want that yesterday, last week or last month. They want all that last year. They don't want things like DLC, golfers or even license courses. They couldn't care less about the PGA brand too. And the biggest crisis right now are the designers not getting their courses count on time, not getting the merit they deserve and having their courses handicapped. That's the most vocal group and oh... and finally the xxxxxxxx for some courses.
All of what you've said is true, but I also think HB Studios knows how to factor in all that more esoteric and hyper-critical feedback relative to their overall user base.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #107
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
HB Studios have seemingly gone out of their way to avoid mentioning a next golf game in the works. They may have been given marching orders from above to avoid making any mention of it, and are trying to keep current golf game development under wraps, for whatever reason. I hope that's their MO because if it's not, I'd say we're a long way from seeing another golf game from HB Studios, if ever. I'm sort of expecting them to take a new tack on it after NBA Live 20 is released though... we'll see.
Personally, I think you're right. I've got a feeling they still have 2K as publisher/partner and they have their own vision on how a golf sim should be. We could be in for a different game from what we have now, and it's going to take time to get there with a new released version.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #108
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
All of what you've said is true, but I also think HB Studios knows how to factor in all that more esoteric and hyper-critical feedback relative to their overall user base.
That’s not the issue, though. Look at all of the sports forums. They are filled with sim guys ripping all the games as terrible, and calling the devs selfish or lazy. This affects sales.

The very folks being called important are the ones running off customers with the way they talk about the game.

At some point folks will realize that $60 console games are not, and never will be, simulations. They are games to have fun with, not prove what a genius GM or coach you are.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #109
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
At some point folks will realize that $60 console games are not, and never will be, simulations.
All sorts of terms ("hardcores", "simulations", "sim guys", "realism") are being thrown around as if it's assumed there is some sort of accepted meaning. I find TGC 2019 on an Xbox perfectly qualifies as a 'sim'. I play a competitive match on average 5-6x/week since I got the game save vacations--does that make me "hardcore"? Do I see TGC as a realistic facsimile of RL golf? For me, absolutely, enough that it engages me exactly the way playing RL golf does. In fact playing 'golf sims' has improved my play RL golf. Are there things that can be done with it to improve it compatible w/ an XB controller? Absolutely.

I agree w/ one piece of this thread and that is clearly the sort of complaining, whining, impossible to please group of users do more to harm the future of the franchise by spreading negativity about the game and this only harms sales ultimately. Threads about the game on this very site are full of negativity as well. I chalk it up to people that just don't have a clue what's involved and how to move it forward shooting themselves in the foot while doing it. When you read these get in their face and help them see what role they are playing in killing the very thing they care about.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:02 PM   #110
MVP

I sure wish EA would bring golf back..

Great to see others out there with the passion for it also!

https://www.golfmagic.com/golf-news/...orts-game-2020
Old 10-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #111
Pro

There was a big outcry after he won the Masters, the Apex Hound had a long video begging for a new EA Golf game and it was supported by dozens of people. He was not demanding much, just that Augusta, all the PGA courses and the top 50 golfers in the world NEEDED to be in the game.

Some also started to post at the EA board too as I remember, the mods just marked the thread as 'solved' with the automatic message they would pass the suggestion to the devs.
I'm not holding my breath, even Handsward who was the dev at EA for their PGA game has joined to play TGC 2019. HB Studio is our last hope and who knows which direction they're going to go. Maybe 2K is still their publisher, maybe not...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2019, 01:09 AM   #112
MVP

@BigKev

Could be - One never knows.
I'll maintain some hope

(TGC just doesn't interest me in its present form)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »