Home

PGA TOUR 2K21 Gameplay Video (IGN)

This is a discussion on PGA TOUR 2K21 Gameplay Video (IGN) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #57
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PGA TOUR 2K21 Gameplay Video (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
Looks like the bear may be awaking from its hibernation...apparel/gear info seems to be coming:

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR2K/status...46522021126145
I can summarize that video in one word..... BLECH!

I said in their Twitter feed in response to that video, if I was on the fence about buying 2K21, that video would steer me away from it. A six second video that loops and flashes 8 (correction, it was 9) times!? I don't care what you're showing in that span, it's going to be fuster-cluck! And in this case it's mostly outlandish bling!?

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 06-26-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #58
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

I was hoping that a more in-depth article/video would follow that teaser pretty quickly...we shall see.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #59
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
I was hoping that a more in-depth article/video would follow that teaser pretty quickly...we shall see.
Seriously! A good marketing director would have had another more substantive video in queue as damage control for what they should have well suspected wouldn't be well received.

What I'd really like to see is a couple of the dev team members (sans Josh "forward swing" Muise), play each other via private or public matchmaking... LIVE, not any of that mostly scripted, canned video of the 4 hole walkthrough. Oh, and I'd want them to be playing on the hardest settings allowable in public matchmaking when they do so.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:17 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 0

I'm pretty skeptical about any official videos coming that will show the game "as hard as it can be"..

As much as many would enjoy seeing that, I'll bet they are worried about scaring people off.

Nuance and understanding are totally lost on people these days and too many would see it and get freaked out that the game is "impossibly hard" and "looks like no fun" and simply not care to even listen to HB/2K telling them to their face that it's only optionally that hard.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I've got a feeling even if they do make a "hard as it can be" video that it might be kept pretty close to the vest. They should maybe even consider outsourcing that type of thing to a community and/or YouTube person who could show that side of things "unofficially".
Old 06-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #61
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

I would like to see a match between Early 1981 and Jim Gem on impossible difficulty.

I don't think these guys know WTF they are doing. Total waste of money for them to go this PGA course if the body types are the same. Can't play with pros can't go head to head real time with them? Forget about swing similarity.

I pray EA gets involved in this space cause this franchise is going nowhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #62
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
I'm pretty skeptical about any official videos coming that will show the game "as hard as it can be"..
I remember them showing a live match between Shaun West and TheApexHound (a well known You Tuber) for TGC 2019, playing a match. It wasn't at the hardest settings, but it was tough enough for each of them to miss some fairways and greens. I'd like to see something like that, but IIRC, the streaming match I'm referring to wasn't shown until maybe two weeks before release.

Quote:
As much as many would enjoy seeing that, I'll bet they are worried about scaring people off.
They're already showing me that they're more fearful of that with this release. I think the thing they're most scared of scaring people off with is the knowledge that not only are you not going to be able to play as a featured pro, you're not going to actually play in a head-to-head, turn order enabled match against them or a tournament round in a pairing with them. They are dodging this question right and left because they know the reaction is going to be volatile.

Quote:
Nuance and understanding are totally lost on people these days and too many would see it and get freaked out that the game is "impossibly hard" and "looks like no fun" and simply not care to even listen to HB/2K telling them to their face that it's only optionally that hard.
This is so true, but I'll take it one step further... on the other extreme you have simulation oriented gamers complaining about how easy this game is going to be, based on that neutered 4 hole walkthrough. They can't seem to realize for themselves that they're seeing a showcase of shot aids and forgiving clubs at work!? I can't say that the game is going to play as difficult as the hardcore simulation style golf gamers wants, but I know it's going to be a damn sight harder than what we saw in the walkthrough!

Quote:
Maybe I'll be wrong, but I've got a feeling even if they do make a "hard as it can be" video that it might be kept pretty close to the vest. They should maybe even consider outsourcing that type of thing to a community and/or YouTube person who could show that side of things "unofficially".
Good idea, they should set up Respawn and Early-1981 and let them stream/record a head to head match, using whatever will be the most difficult settings you can use for online, public matchmaking. It would demonstrate how multiplayer matches are setup, how they launch, and those two would talk about all the options and aids, and how they are hidden or locked-out, as they play the game. Joe Sixpack wouldn't be all that interested in it, but the 10 to 15% of their market who are hardcore golf-gamers like ourselves would eat this up.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #63
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
I would like to see a match between Early 1981 and Jim Gem on impossible difficulty.
You were on the same track as me when I responded to Scagwi! I said Respawn and Early-1981, but Jim Gem would also do. If we had Respawn and Early, we'd at least get to see how a transatlantic multiplayer connection would work.

Quote:
I don't think these guys know WTF they are doing. Total waste of money for them to go this PGA course if the body types are the same. Can't play with pros can't go head to head real time with them? Forget about swing similarity.
Shaun West is a low handicap golfer (6 to 8 I'm thinking?), but he at least knows golf. I'm sure they've got other guys on this team who understand and play golf, but I know Creative Director, Josh Muise, isn't one of them. I don't know who is responsible for the choice to not offer head-to-head play against the pros, but it probably was a pay grade above the Senior Producer (Shaun West).

I think they didn't want to invest the resources and time it would take to hash out the AI needed for the other players. Having a spreadsheet calculate what score a player should post on a hole based on a formula is one thing, but having an AI model convincingly play out a shot based on attributes, lie, wind, course conditions in real time for an entire round is a tough proposition than it sounds.

Quote:
I pray EA gets involved in this space cause this franchise is going nowhere.
I'd love to see it also; competition brings out the best in everyone.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #64
Pro

Of course they're scared to show that the game is too hard, they remember quite well all the negative reviews when they gave the game for free for 1 month. And lots of those guys thought the game was broken or simply hated it because it was too inconsistent.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/th...vot:reviewstab

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »