Home

Is 2k21 worth it?

This is a discussion on Is 2k21 worth it? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is 2k21 worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen44
I have had Rory McIlroy for a few years but never committed to playing it. I have started playing over the past couple weeks and I am really enjoying it. My question is now that you can pick up 2k21 for $30 is it a big upgrade? Is it a much better game than the Rory game? Thank you
I was on the fence about it a few months back but Im glad I got it. Even at the $60 dollar price tag. I haven't looked but I'm sure its cheaper now

The positives are that I think the gameplay is great and its also a very nice game to look at graphics wise. A good amount of real courses that were recreated identically(Im partial to the Travelers since Im from CT) and there are a ton of user created courses including Augusta and Pebble Beach which are spot on as well.

The three biggest negatives are you can only play as your created guy(which isn't a huge deal to me playing career mode but if you're playing with someone else in your living room they just get a standard generic character) and the fact that you can't really improve your guy with specific attributes but only by leveling up or buying different clubs is a drawback to me. Lastly, sometimes its annoying in career mode cause Justin Thomas can be unbeatable in some tournaments but in others not so much. He seems to always be leading the Fed Ex Cup in the two seasons I've played so far.

Overall Ive logged probably 250 rounds of golf over the past few months and really like it. You can bang out a single 18 hole round in roughly 20 minutes which has led me to play all four rounds of every tournament for career mode. I think its a true golf simulation game if that's what you're into. Hopefully they can improve on some things for next year cause Ill definitely be back for it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyPic22
I was on the fence about it a few months back but Im glad I got it. Even at the $60 dollar price tag. I haven't looked but I'm sure its cheaper now

The positives are that I think the gameplay is great and its also a very nice game to look at graphics wise. A good amount of real courses that were recreated identically(Im partial to the Travelers since Im from CT) and there are a ton of user created courses including Augusta and Pebble Beach which are spot on as well.

The three biggest negatives are you can only play as your created guy(which isn't a huge deal to me playing career mode but if you're playing with someone else in your living room they just get a standard generic character) and the fact that you can't really improve your guy with specific attributes but only by leveling up or buying different clubs is a drawback to me. Lastly, sometimes its annoying in career mode cause Justin Thomas can be unbeatable in some tournaments but in others not so much. He seems to always be leading the Fed Ex Cup in the two seasons I've played so far.

Overall Ive logged probably 250 rounds of golf over the past few months and really like it. You can bang out a single 18 hole round in roughly 20 minutes which has led me to play all four rounds of every tournament for career mode. I think its a true golf simulation game if that's what you're into. Hopefully they can improve on some things for next year cause Ill definitely be back for it
I mostly agree. I've played a ton of hours. If you find Arlington's fix in the Justin Thomas thread for career mode %s...those really do make him human.

You then adjust CPU skill higher as you get better in the game.

The main issue I have with career mode is that I don't understand how there's no playoff when multiple people are tied at the end of the tournament.

As for custom courses, there's a ton out there I'm adding as favorites. If you go here you can add them by searching for them: https://www.tgctours.com/Course/Tgc2...=&Grid-filter=

Or just add me as a friend. From my understanding you can access any course your friend has favorited.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #27
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKingPin87
If you find Arlington's fix in the Justin Thomas thread for career mode %s...those really do make him human.

You then adjust CPU skill higher as you get better in the game.

The main issue I have with career mode is that I don't understand how there's no playoff when multiple people are tied at the end of the tournament
Here is the settings I used for career mode to avoid the superhuman Justin Thomas issue:

CPU Skill - 82%
CPU Event Skill Deviation - 25%
CPU Round Skill Deviation - 10%
CPU Attendance - 90%

The other trick is to just play 2 round events. I know it stinks, because it's not realistic, but you do still get a cut after round 1, and the scores I would get would be pretty realistic and competitive.

And good point about the lack of playoff...that's another thing that Tiger Woods 14 had...and it even had specific types of playoffs depending on the event you were in. For example, if you tied at the end of the US Open, you'd have to play a full 18-hole round to decide the winner.

To be fair, it was dumb that EA removed playoffs from Rory, too...

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 12-16-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
Here is the settings I used for career mode to avoid the superhuman Justin Thomas issue:

CPU Skill - 82%
CPU Event Skill Deviation - 25%
CPU Round Skill Deviation - 10%
CPU Attendance - 90%

The other trick is to just play 2 round events. I know it stinks, because it's not realistic, but you do still get a cut after round 1, and the scores I would get would be pretty realistic and competitive.

And good point about the lack of playoff...that's another thing that Tiger Woods 14 had...and it even had specific types of playoffs depending on the event you were in. For example, if you tied at the end of the US Open, you'd have to play a full 18-hole round to decide the winner.

To be fair, it was dumb that EA removed playoffs from Rory, too...
Ok thank you for this Im gonna try this out today
Old 12-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #29
Rookie

To be fair, it was dumb that EA removed playoffs from Rory, too...[/quote]

I also do 2 round tournaments outside of the majors, where I do three.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »