Home

Cleveland Rocks----an NHL 10 Dynasty

This is a discussion on Cleveland Rocks----an NHL 10 Dynasty within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 24
Cleveland Rocks----an NHL 10 Dynasty

NHL, OWNERS APPROVE SALE AND RELOCATION OF TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING TO CLEVELAND

The NHL owners and president Gary Bettman announced the sale and move of the Tampa Bay Lightning to Cleveland, Ohio investor Jeff Allen has been approved.

The move, effective for the upcoming 2010 season, surprised some, although since winning the Stanley Cup in 2004, the Lightning has been hampered by financial trouble and dwindling attendance.

"This was something I hated to do, but felt I had no choice in the matter", the current owner, Jeffrey Vinik, said. "I want to thank the Lightning fans for all their support, and I'm sorry I couldn't make it work".

Cleveland, meanwhile, has been without an NHL franchise since the Barons in 1976-1978. Allen said the "timing was good" for a return:

"Back then, (1976), there really wasn't a market for hockey in Cleveland. The Barons were doomed to fail because of it.
Now, however, the NHL expanisons have included warm-weather cities like Phoenix. So I figured, why not Cleveland?", Allen said.
"We took a poll of sports fans last year, and the results were overwhelmingly in favor of an NHL team. So we knew it would work", Allen continued.

The new team will be named the Renegades, after the STYX hit song "Renegade". The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is located near the Quicken Loans Arena, the new home of the Renegades, and STYX was recently inducted there.

The team's colors will be dark green with black and white trim, and the logo will be a fist surrounded by five points, similar to the "power of rock and roll hand gesture", again in honor of the RNR Hall.

"This is an exciting time in C-town," Allen continued. "The fans were dejected after losing LeBron (James, of the NBA Cavaliers, who went to the Miami Heat as a free agent) and needed something to lift their spirits. What better way than to bring the excitement of the NHL to the Q!"

The sale amount was not disclosed, however it's estimated to be around $110 million. Most of the current players on the roster will be retained, and Cleveland will pick second in the expansion draft.

Last edited by Segagendude; 04-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Cleveland Rocks----an NHL 10 Dynasty

Renegades lose debut to Thrashers 5-3

ATL----The NHL's newest team, the Cleveland Renegades, lost their season opener in Atlanta, 5-3.

Pavel Datsyuk, a free agent pickup, became the first player to score a goal in Cleveland's young history when he hit a slapshot from the blue line to give the Renegades an early lead in the first period.

Unfortunately, that lead wouldn't hold up as Atlanta quickly scored twice before the period ended to go up 2-1.

In the second, it was all Atlanta as they score twice, once on a power play, to go up 4-1.

The Renegades weren't done, as newest free agents Mike Modano and Jerome Ingla both scored late in the second to bring the Renegades to within 1.

Unfortunately, in the third, Atlanta scored the final goal to win it.

Next up for Cleveland, is a game in Carolina, followed by their much-anticipated home opener against New Jersey at the Q.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Awesome man.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Banned

Cleveland drops to 0-2 with loss to the Hurricanes

CAR---The Cleveland Renegades lost their second game of the season to the Hurricanes, 4-1.

Pavel Datsyuk, who scored Cleveland's first goal in their new history just two days ago, again scored the lone goal, in the second period.

Once again, however, the Renegades were unable to stop an offensive onslaught, as the 'Canes scored three unanswered in the second period to go up 3-1.

In the third, Carolina scored a goal to put away the Renegades for good.

The Renegades weren't helped by the number of penalties they committed, (4), however, their power play unit kept the Canes from scoring.

Head coach Guy Boucher of Cleveland said:" We've got to find more ways of generating offense. Pavel can't do it all every game".

Cleveland is off today before they make their long-awaited debut at home at the Quicken Loans Arena against the Devils. Attendance is expected to be a complete sell out. The arena had previously been hosting an AHL team, the Lake Erie Monsters. This will be the first time an NHL franchise has played at the Q since it was built in 1994.

"We hope to get a win to achieve two things: Get on a winning track, and give our new home fans something to get excited about", Boucher said. "To win our debut in a city that's been eagerly anticipating this moment would really be something special", he added. "It might even have a Stanley Cup feel to it..."
Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 17

Ouch, 2nd loss in a row for yeah. Hopefully you don`t repeat the Caps expansion year record.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

Probably the only person that didnt move phoenix, lol
Old 11-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshson14
Probably the only person that didnt move phoenix, lol
(Only because I wanted to stay in the East....lol)

Renegades win home opener in a rout, 4-1

CLE---LeBron Who?
In front of a sellout crowd at the Quicken Loans Arena, the former home of the NBA's LeBron James, the Cleveland Renegades beat the New Jersey Devils, 4-1, to earn their first win of their new season.

As the Renegades took the ice to the STYX song of the same name, the crowd was whipped into a frenzy not seen since James and the Cavs played in the Finals here in 2007.

Marc-Andre Bergeron, Brian Campbell, Dustin Brown, and Todd Bertuzzi all scored as the Renegades quickly went up 1-0 in the first, then poured it on the rest of the way.

Following Bergeron's goal, NJ's Zack Parise scored to tie it up at 1-1, early in the second period on a power play.

Brian Campbell quickly answered, by slinging a wrister from the left side.

Brown and Bertuzzi's goals came in the third, to put the game away and send the crowd of 20,000 home happy.

"This was the teamwork we talked about after losing the first two games," head coach Guy Boucher said of Cleveland. "Tonight, we finally got contributions from everybody, and we got the victory."

Team owner Jeff Allen could be frequently seen in his box, celebrating and smiling throughout the game. "This is what I wanted to bring to this city, this right here", he said, pointing to the frenzied crowd as the game wound down. "Along with hopefully a Stanley Cup!"

It wasn't all good news for Cleveland, however, as LW Rick Nash went down with an injury early in the second. An MRI done later showed that he had a fractured bone in his left leg, and could be out 5 weeks.

Next up for Cleveland is hosting Carolina, who just beat them 4-1 not long ago.

Ironically, the Cleveland Browns are hosting the Carolina Panthers this Sunday.

"Are they gonna fly on the same jet?" joked Allen. "Maybe both our teams will beat Carolina and make it an even longer flight home!"

Last edited by Segagendude; 11-28-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 13

As much as I hate Cleveland (of course only the football team because of the rivalry), I think this is a great idea. I will follow you. Good luck with Carolina again. Just remember, if you beat the pens, I will stop following.. haha. just joking.

Good luck.

Steel City Defense - http://www.operationsports.com/forum...franchise.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »