Home

Island hockey, NHL 12 Be a GM

This is a discussion on Island hockey, NHL 12 Be a GM within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Island hockey, NHL 12 Be a GM

Hello and welcome fans and readers, for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

Of late when a discussion crops up about the New York Islanders it again, usually doesn't contain words like winning, contending or playoffs.

What those conversations do pertain to are John Tavares, Rick Dipietro, Michael Grabner, Calvin De-Hann, Kirill Kabanov, Niņo Niederreiter and struggling on and off the ice as a franchise.

While this season began as any of the others before it, there is now more excitement and hushed anticipation surrounding this club then there has been for years. Just so we don't get ahead of ourselves here, there are still seventy games to be played in which this posative vibe and feel good story could flop entirely on it's face.

But as is stands the Islanders have played themselves into the middle of the pack and are on pace for the best season in recent years, here's the catch though I'm sure you were all waiting for one I'm going to supply a few.

The Islanders current success rides almost solely on a 39 year old goaltender who hasn't played NHL hockey for over a year previous to this season and on the production of their top six forwards.

And while you could argue that the same could be said about nearly every NHL team, who doesn't rely on their number one goaltender and top six forwards right?

Well the difference here is not only is Nabokov at the end of his career but his back up is none other then the oft injured Rick Dipietro, add in the recent loss of Al Montoya via waivers add a freak injury or two and suddenly your net at the NHL level is empty and your AHL depth is considered more AHL then depth by the hockey world at large.

It's safe to say that NHL teams rely on their top six forwards to put up points, minus perhaps those teams with excellent depth. Again the difference in Long Island is age and talent.

Nearly every forward and defense man outside of the top six/top four are veteran guys riding out some of their final years in the NHL, with the exception of Brian Rolston none of these guys have much offensive upside nor did they in their prime playing days.

So factor that in with again perhaps a freak injury or two and the wheels on this bus completely fall off. So once again we look at the AHL level and once again we receive no help beyond guys who are considered full time AHL players at best. While there is Calvin De-Hann available it may cause more harm then good to bring up a young guy who is clearly not ready for the NHL.

A tenuous position indeed when a stray puck or a simple loss of footing can derail an enitre season.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am not forecasting the doom and crash and burn of the Islanders but when looking at the organization as a whole those things have to be mentioned and noted.

So now that's over lets transition to the sun shine and lolipops!

The future of the forward group here is bright. Not only do guys like John Tavares, Kyle Okposo and Michael Grabner reside here but they are young enough and talented enough to see this club through some of its darkest hours and lift it back into the lime light it so deserves.

Then you look at the juniors and guys like Kirill Kabanov, Niņo Niederreiter and Ryan Strome.

Sure these kids need work, Niederreiter needs to improve his two way game but most consider him nearly NHL ready. Strome is all around solid enough with his on ice game he just needs time to mature and is considered by most to be a very promising prospect. Kabanov has struggled of late and may require the most work out of all three of these guys but has shown enough potential to warrant a calm and long term if need be approach.

Obviously since these guys reside at the junior level they won't be in the NHL this year no matter what happens, either way it's safe to say their NHL debuts are highly anticipated.

GM Garth Snow has done a good job with what he has had since taking over the helm, he has added where he could while making smart draft decisions. As you all know he we out and signed Evgeny Artyukhin just before the 2011/2012 season launched and while you could look at the Isles depth chart and see why he did this, don't under estimate the importance of this move.

Artyukhin was KHL bound and turned down offers from other NHL clubs who have a better chance at being cup contenders then the Islanders so give credit to Snow here. Now I am not trying to say Artyukhin is a game breaking talent but he is a big man who likes to use that size and has the ability to punch a few pucks into the net.

It's not just that Snow got Artyukhin when no one else could but he also signed a .850M per season two way three year contract which is a steal for a guy who adds what Artyukhin does and is even more brilliant considering the Islanders want for a low payroll.

Snow also signed Bryan McCabe who seemed to be forgotten by the NHL at large. Even though McCabe (this is not a recording) is at the end or close to the end of his NHL playing days he has the ability to log top line minutes and contribute on all sides of the puck, not to mention it adds an extra body and high skill set to a D core that was a skeleton crew with no offensive upside beyond Mark Streit, even if McCabe tapers off this season the Islanders will get more offense from him then anyone else currently available on the roster, again minus Mark Streit.

So what's a GM to do? Your club is playing well, certainly good enough to put a scare into teams in the playoff hunt, and while there are a few good prospects to be found the pool isn't deep enough, nor are they close enough to NHL ready for Snow to consider trading them for potentially limited or temporary gains.

Combine that with a top six who at the moment are getting the job done handily and appear to have excellent chemistry, as well as a lack of NHL depth that holds value it may be very difficult for Snow to generate intrest in trade partners.

Snow has been a steady and conservative GM here on the Island and it's hard to see him making risky moves at the time, it's possible he may have to use draft picks as trade bait but draft picks have been a very coveted resource for the Islanders.

I have spoken with sources near the Islanders and to Garth Snow himself and it is clear that he has ear to the ground so to speak, and is listening for any hints of availability especially if it includes a defencemen or young goaltender.

Snow is currently in Edmonton and has attended several of the Oilers games and the Oilers have placed a scout to watch the Islanders so it is possible something maybe be happening between the two clubs but at this time we are left with nothing more then speculation.

For all things NHL and Islanders keep an eye on us here, for TSN I am hockey insider Bob McKenzie.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp05
Excellent star Dynasty, to bad you lost Montoya... What the hell, McCabe.....
Thanks man, Montoya was insurance but I didn't want to loose him, honestly didn't think anyone would claim him.

And McCabe... Yeah I was t happy about it but at this point I can't whine about it even at 36 years old and 83 overall he's my #2 guy by a long shot
Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
MVP

Tazer19's Arena

OVR: 17

Solid update, things are looking up on the Island.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
Thanks man, Montoya was insurance but I didn't want to loose him, honestly didn't think anyone would claim him.

And McCabe... Yeah I was t happy about it but at this point I can't whine about it even at 36 years old and 83 overall he's my #2 guy by a long shot
As a Leaf fan I'm hurt. ha-ha.

I know your back is up against the wall and you got to do - what you got to do.. Stick with it, as my fantasy Leafs will show you patience is everything.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
Rookie

TMLGilmour93's Arena

OVR: 1

Good luck Dynasty! I am a big fan of your franchise's and your write-ups! Shame you couldn't still be doing your Flames one! I was really enjoying it, and it inspired me to do one for the Flames, will follow this one!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Enjoying this so far.
And just in my opinion Nashville has what you need, and you got the forward depth to give them what they need.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer19
Solid update, things are looking up on the Island.
Thanks Tazer, its been good so far, just hope i can continue it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp05
As a Leaf fan I'm hurt. ha-ha.

I know your back is up against the wall and you got to do - what you got to do.. Stick with it, as my fantasy Leafs will show you patience is everything.
LOL yeah i know man its pretty bad on the blue line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLGilmour93
Good luck Dynasty! I am a big fan of your franchise's and your write-ups! Shame you couldn't still be doing your Flames one! I was really enjoying it, and it inspired me to do one for the Flames, will follow this one!
Thank you very much TML, i appreciate you following and commenting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan31
Enjoying this so far.
And just in my opinion Nashville has what you need, and you got the forward depth to give them what they need.

Thanks Leafs im glad your enjoying, I took a looooong look at Nashville but decided to make it realistic i would have to give up way too much, I will revisit it later in the season i think once its clear which way the team is heading.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Well for a player like Shea Weber yes, which of course would be a great addition to any team, but you especially need that elite d-man. But even just looking at Andres Lindback. I believe you could acquire him for a solid forward and maybe a pick of some sort.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »