Home

Madden 23 1987 Season Roster PS5

This is a discussion on Madden 23 1987 Season Roster PS5 within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2022, 10:58 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 23 1987 Season Roster PS5

Ok, just played a full game with the new sliders. This was using my 87 roster.
Bengals (CPU) vs Browns (me)
Final Score: 14-24
Total Offense: 171-414
Rushing Yards: 65-168
Passing Yards: 106-246
First Downs: 9-31
Turnovers: 1-3
3rd down: 5-12-41%; 13-116-81%
Penalties: 3-22; 3-35
TOP: 20:14; 39:46

Passing:
Esiason: 10-23-106-43%-1TD-1INT
Kosar: 21-32-266-65%-0TD-1INT

Rushing:
Brooks: 19-59-3.1
Kinnebrew: 2-2-1.0
Jennings: 1-4-4.0
Mack: 26-95-3.6-1TD-1FM
Byner: 15-73-4.8-1TD
Kosar: 4--2--.05-1FM
Manoa: 1-2-2-1TD

Receiving:
Brown: 4-48-12.0-1TD
Brooks: 2-16-8.0
Kattus: 1-19-19.0
Jennings: 1-7-7.0
Holman: 1-5-5.0
Collinsworth: 1-11-11.0
Langhorne: 6-78-13.0
Slaughter: 5-67-13.4
Newsome: 4-67-16.7
Byner: 3-34-11.3
Manoa: 2-6-3.0
Brennan: 1-14-14.0

Sacks:
Kelly: 1
Skow: 1
Zander: .5
Edwards: .5
Minnifield: 1

INTS:
Thomas: 1
Minnifield: 1

Some take aways from the game.
I dominated the Bengals offense. This is not unrealistic for the Browns in 1987. They had a very good defense including 2 lockdown corners. That was true in this game. Minnifield shut Collinsworth down and made his interception in the endzone. Dixon was solid most of the game as well. James Brooks had some decent runs, but I shut him down most of the time. This created several 3rd and long situations which Esiason was simply not able to complete the passes on. He threw several away due to pressure and no one open.
I was able to move the ball well against the Bengals defense throughout the game. Again, this was realistic to the 1987 as the Bengals defense struggled that year. Remember, the Bengals were 4-11 in 1987.

The big take away was the lack of interceptions. Did you notice there were only 2 total!!! Both we contextual, with no crazy animations or super jumping. The one I threw I tried to force the ball into double coverage, simple a bad decision on my part. The one Esiason threw was on a scramble into the endzone trying to hit Collinsworth, but Minnifield jumped in front of it.

I know this game looks really one sided and it was. However, that has not been my usual experience. As much as I moved the ball throughout the game, I was up 17-14 at the half. I did not score again until the middle of the 4th quarter.

But again, concentrate on the lack of interceptions. I really encourage you guys to give the 80INT and 80COV a chance. It seems to work. Again, small sample size, but it looks good so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #26
MVP

Still working on the roster. I have the NFC East players moved and named. I just finished the Dallas Cowboys this morning. The Redskins are already done. I will start working on rating the Cardinals this evening. Hopefully I will be able to post the updated roster by the end of this week.

If anyone tries my suggestion on the INT slider and COV slider, please let me know how it goes for you. I am having pretty good results and they are so far consistent.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #27
MVP

Teach. When you get them done are you going to upload sliders for this 1987 season roster?

How's the roster going?

Can't wait to see it.
I hear your hopes
I feel your dreams
And in the dark I hear your screams
Don't turn away, Just take my hand
I'll never leave, All I ask of you, Is Believe.

Believe

Savatage - RIP Chris Oliva - April 3, 1963 – October 17, 1993
Old 09-11-2022, 08:57 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawksfan4ever19
Teach. When you get them done are you going to upload sliders for this 1987 season roster?

How's the roster going?

Can't wait to see it.
The roster is live on Madden Share with the AFC North plus the Broncos and Redskins. I will update the roster every time I finish a division. I am currently working through the NFC East, so once they are done (hopefully by the end of this week) I will update the roster on Madden Share.

The roster is going slow right now. I just do not have a lot of free time to work on it right now, but I work on it whenever I can. So it is taking me a little longer than most of my rosters, but it will get done.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #29
MVP

New roster update is live.

Same file name as always, 1987.

The new update includes the NFC East.

It took me a couple of extra days beyond what I hoped, but I got the NFC East done.

The Giants are pretty good in terms of ratings because they still had most of the 86 Super Bowl team back and were really solid on paper. However, in the true 1987 the team imploded and went 6-9. Taylor was a major distraction throughout the season and the offense just could not get going.

Let me know how the new teams play out for you.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #30
Rookie

Epic, I look forward to your rosters every year.

I played your 1987 roster on Madden 18.

One thing that would really make this far more realistic is making the quarterbacks in the 1980's be a lot more injury prone. Knocking QB's out was a strategy back then. Other players seemed to be FAR MORE DURABLE due to less insurance companies being involved along with contracts that have incentives tied to statistical bonuses. Emmit Smith ran through anything. I just wanted the raides and Washington game from 1989, Darell green is active with a broken wrist... Let's go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
File Name: 1987
PSN: Iteachhistory78

I have uploaded the file and will update periodically, generally when I finish a division.

Current files includes the following teams:
Denver
AFC North: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Houston
NFC East: Washington, Dallas, Philadelphia, St. Louis Cardinals, and New York Giants
Sent from my SM-G981U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #31
Rookie

Not sure if you get down with NBA 2K, but 2k23 has a new mode called eras and they have the rules from the different eras. The 1980's players are a lot more physical, can't shoot deep well, but murder mod range and the paint. It even has the hand check during a certain portion of the eras.

It would be epic if they would do this for Madden so we could see a little more than powderpuff tackling. I miss the old days where you could wreck it with the hit stick. I'm wondering what kind of hits can be unlocked in the new physics engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
All right, so I am going to roll with Madden 23 right now. I was on the fence about the game for several reasons but decided to give it a go.

I decided to do 1987 for a few different reasons. I enjoy the mid-late 80s football. 1987 was a strike year and had 4 games where replacement players were playing. The replacement players will allow me to easily make the teams that did not exist in 87 as well as some free agents. Also, as a Browns fan, 1987 was a really good team that should have beaten the Broncos. So many greats in this era of football.

Before I decided on this roster I did some testing to see if I can replicate the era on the field with CPU play calling. So far I have been VERY happy with the results using the Run Heavy playbook. Teams are running the ball and trying to stick to it. I of course we continue to test while working on the roster.

I have already finished the Browns and Broncos. I wanted to get a couple of teams done quickly so I can do some on the field testing. I have noticed a couple of changes I will make to some ratings, nothing crazy from my normal. But for instance Kick Power rating for Punters needs increased from my normal. Not a big change and one most people will not notice. For those interested I can provide more details later.

I have also been working on sliders for the roster and I am overall in a good place. I need to get a little more out of the CPU running game, but so far I have a small sample size and the CPU has been against the Browns who had a really good defense and was really good against the run. So that might be part of the problem. I will keep testing.
However, so far I am not seeing crazy interceptions like I was with the default rosters and default sliders. Pass rush is strong, solid completion percentages, good QB play (scrambling, decisions, and shot downfield).

So, 1987 is on the way! I do not have a timeline. I am coaching football again this year and on a much larger team (we have 102 players 9-12; 65 of those are 10-12) so my time is limited. I am hoping for Halloween time, but please be patient. As long as Madden Share is working half way decently, I will upload the roster as I go so you guys can play some games and get a feel for the roster.
Sent from my SM-G981U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #32
MVP

Just wanted to provide a quick update on where I am with the roster.

I am currently working on the AFC East. I have all of those players named and information correct. I am now working on their equipment and ratings. I finished the Colts last night and started the Patriots.

I am hoping to finish this division by the end of next weekend.
I know this is going slowly and I apologize for the lack of speed. There is no way I will be done with the roster by Halloween like I hoped. It will take a couple of extra weeks for sure. Once I get into November I will have more free time to work on the roster.

I just didn't want anyone to think I forgot about the roster.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »