Home

That Franchise Guy Roster Query

This is a discussion on That Franchise Guy Roster Query within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2018, 05:28 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: That Franchise Guy Roster Query

After DLing the roster, looking it over, and taking it into franchise mode, I actually like it a lot.

I get your criticism, Tommy, but I think things like slight speed boosts to some guys a) might be necessary to help stabilize OVR, since we can't recalibrate that formula, and b) are outweighed by the strengths of the roster.

As I see it, the major strengths are:

* Adjusted block shedding, especially for edge rushers, sub players, and DBs. You don't realize how jacked those default rosters are in that regard, but too many players are rated as elite run defenders. This is where a huge portion of the issues with the run game come in.

* Incredible player differentiation. Guys who are good at X but not Y are all over the roster. That makes roster building much more interesting and it places and appropriate value on the guys who can do it all, which are few and far between.

* Rating scaling. Related to the above, but positions like TE are interesting. Most TE have SRR and MRR in the 50s and 60s, not 70s and 80s. This adds so much more balance to the game because these guys are now calibrated to the LB coverage ratings, which hover in the same range. Now all those OP TE routes are not OP unless you have an elite guy, and those guys are in there, as are guys whose OVR are not elite but who are clearly pass-game players. There are other positions where this scaling is evident, and it's obvious EA isn't thinking in these terms about their roster.

There are lots of other things I like, but these are some primary strengths that have me liking this as my franchise roster.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
Rookie

tosa's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
After DLing the roster, looking it over, and taking it into franchise mode, I actually like it a lot.

I get your criticism, Tommy, but I think things like slight speed boosts to some guys a) might be necessary to help stabilize OVR, since we can't recalibrate that formula, and b) are outweighed by the strengths of the roster.

As I see it, the major strengths are:

* Adjusted block shedding, especially for edge rushers, sub players, and DBs. You don't realize how jacked those default rosters are in that regard, but too many players are rated as elite run defenders. This is where a huge portion of the issues with the run game come in.

* Incredible player differentiation. Guys who are good at X but not Y are all over the roster. That makes roster building much more interesting and it places and appropriate value on the guys who can do it all, which are few and far between.

* Rating scaling. Related to the above, but positions like TE are interesting. Most TE have SRR and MRR in the 50s and 60s, not 70s and 80s. This adds so much more balance to the game because these guys are now calibrated to the LB coverage ratings, which hover in the same range. Now all those OP TE routes are not OP unless you have an elite guy, and those guys are in there, as are guys whose OVR are not elite but who are clearly pass-game players. There are other positions where this scaling is evident, and it's obvious EA isn't thinking in these terms about their roster.

There are lots of other things I like, but these are some primary strengths that have me liking this as my franchise roster.
Agreed Trojan, when injuries occur and you have to try and find some talent...its no longer plug and play with anyone using these rosters. My concern is about the integrity of the league long term. I know he is trying to finish the first draft class now but curious if CFM generated draft classes will be more in line with TFG rosters or if in a few years you end up back to a place you don't won't to go. If we have to wait for him to create draft classes you likely will have to put your CMF on hold as he seems to have a lot going on and can't just "crank" them out.

Last edited by tosa; 09-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosa
Agreed Trojan, when injuries occur and you have to try and find some talent...its no longer plug and play with anyone using these rosters. My concern is about the integrity of the league long term. I know he is trying to finish the first draft class now but curious if CFM generated draft classes will be more in line with TFG rosters or if in a few years you end up back to a place you don't won't to go. If we have to wait for him to create draft classes you likely will have to put your CMF on hold as he seems to have a lot going on and can't just "crank" them out.
Since I wrote that, I did some more testing, and I'm having issues getting the roster to mesh with my slider concepts.

I love the philosophy behind the roster, though.

I think you'd for sure be committed to editing each class to fit it within the parameters of the base roster, which is a lot of work to do.

It might be smarter to play within the walled garden EA has made.

Still, I like what he did conceptually.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Since I wrote that, I did some more testing, and I'm having issues getting the roster to mesh with my slider concepts.

I love the philosophy behind the roster, though.

I think you'd for sure be committed to editing each class to fit it within the parameters of the base roster, which is a lot of work to do.

It might be smarter to play within the walled garden EA has made.

Still, I like what he did conceptually.
This is what I was trying to explain. It just doesnt play right. Maybe try franchiseguy’s original set without the iMac edits, unless you already have. Wasn’t sure which you tested. With the iMac edits, Gameplay is just off with these edits. Also messes with sim stats pretty bad from my limited testing.

I think it’s okay to do less high motor with draft classes, not cutting it out completely, just limiting it more. But for the most part I’ve been sticking to the EA script on the 2019 Class I’ve been cooking up. Lots of fun with this. Got the qbs and rbs done. Wrs, d tackles and cbs should take the longest because they have lots of slots to fill.about to scrounge up some fullback prospects.

Trojan Man, if you want to fidget with this draft class when I’m done, i’d More than appreciate it, just to add an element of surprise for when I use it. Also gonna try to do 2020, the info is just limited. In some areas it’s still limited for 2019 prospects that are lower on the talent level ladder.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 09-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycoa
This is what I was trying to explain. It just doesnt play right. Maybe try franchiseguy’s original set without the iMac edits, unless you already have. Wasn’t sure which you tested. With the iMac edits, Gameplay is just off with these edits. Also messes with sim stats pretty bad from my limited testing.

I think it’s okay to do less high motor with draft classes, not cutting it out completely, just limiting it more. But for the most part I’ve been sticking to the EA script on the 2019 Class I’ve been cooking up. Lots of fun with this. Got the qbs and rbs done. Wrs, d tackles and cbs should take the longest because they have lots of slots to fill.about to scrounge up some fullback prospects.

Trojan Man, if you want to fidget with this draft class when I’m done, i’d More than appreciate it, just to add an element of surprise for when I use it. Also gonna try to do 2020, the info is just limited. In some areas it’s still limited for 2019 prospects that are lower on the talent level ladder.
Haha, I'm hard-headed. I ran into a brick wall with this thing. I streamed some and it was a crap-show. Just didn't play right, despite how cool and interesting it was.

What's weird is that even play-calling was off. Ren played with this roster and noticed the same thing.

I can't take on draft class stuff right now, but I'm interested to see what folks do.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Haha, I'm hard-headed. I ran into a brick wall with this thing. I streamed some and it was a crap-show. Just didn't play right, despite how cool and interesting it was.

What's weird is that even play-calling was off. Ren played with this roster and noticed the same thing.

I can't take on draft class stuff right now, but I'm interested to see what folks do.
The playcalling was a major bugaboo, too. Default rosters ruin playcalling. Always use the updated ones. Big problem with this roster is that it was made from the base roster that doesn’t have run/pass ratio stuff adjusted.

Last year I didn’t update my rosters until the end of the year because people on here said updating rosters was bad. Boy were they wrong.

When i did the roster update, it was after the regular season, and I didn’t have to use custom or generic playbooks anymore. Teams played like they should. Feels the same this year. The cpu AI wasn’t calling plays based on the playbooks star rating, it was synced with something else. I just assumed it was part of the Real NFL Stats thing they undersell.

We don’t get the run/pass ratios or conservative/aggressive or substitution coach sliders to tinker with, like the days of yore. It’s imperative to download the updated rosters. That updated roster from M18 i mentioned was like a CPU AI patch. I’m hoping that by week 8 roster update that they have the run/pass ratios better tuned. No way to know because I’ve never followed the updated rosters all that closely.

I bet the roster they released today plays better than the ones we’ve had. Something like not updating the rosters can really take away from the quality of the games and the patches they release.

My theory is the default/preseason cfm rosters are made when the game originally drops and these rosters don’t know how to behave with the patch work.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 09-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycoa
The playcalling was a major bugaboo, too. Default rosters ruin playcalling. Always use the updated ones. Big problem with this roster is that it was made from the base roster that doesn’t have run/pass ratio stuff adjusted.

Last year I didn’t update my rosters until the end of the year because people on here said updating rosters was bad. Boy were they wrong.

When i did the roster update, it was after the regular season, and I didn’t have to use custom or generic playbooks anymore. Teams played like they should. Feels the same this year. The cpu AI wasn’t calling plays based on the playbooks star rating, it was synced with something else. I just assumed it was part of the Real NFL Stats thing they undersell.

We don’t get the run/pass ratios or conservative/aggressive or substitution coach sliders to tinker with, like the days of yore. It’s imperative to download the updated rosters. That updated roster from M18 i mentioned was like a CPU AI patch. I’m hoping that by week 8 roster update that they have the run/pass ratios better tuned. No way to know because I’ve never followed the updated rosters all that closely.

I bet the roster they released today plays better than the ones we’ve had. Something like not updating the rosters can really take away from the quality of the games and the patches they release.

My theory is the default/preseason cfm rosters are made when the game originally drops and these rosters don’t know how to behave with the patch work.
How certain are you that play calling is different/better w/ the updates?

Ren and I both noticed that the pre-season roster, when loaded into CFM, plays better than edited rosters brought into CFM. I believe Khaliib has made a similar argument about importing rosters into CFM.

I'm wondering if you'd say a bit more about how you've come to this conclusion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
How certain are you that play calling is different/better w/ the updates?

Ren and I both noticed that the pre-season roster, when loaded into CFM, plays better than edited rosters brought into CFM. I believe Khaliib has made a similar argument about importing rosters into CFM.

I'm wondering if you'd say a bit more about how you've come to this conclusion.
It’s the run/pass ratio and situations. It was night and day last year. Before i did the end of season roster update, i had to use generic or custom playbooks to get the AI to call a good game. The default playbooks had too many shot plays and counters and the situations always called for them. Because it seemed like the generic books had blank situations, where they weren’t starred and the cpu AI called what ever their talent called for.

That was M18, in 19 you can’t use the generic playbooks at all in cfm. It’s locked. In 18 the game was way better with updated rosters. They called plays like the situations were blank like on generic playbooks. They called plays based on talent. That’s the best way i can describe it. With default rosters, it seemed like the cpu AI called the same type of game plan every week, but after the update, it felt like they actually did some kind of scheming from week to week.

Reason i noticed was because i had to adjust sliders after the roster update in 18. Had to change up a lot of stuff. It felt like a cpu AI patch. Noticed it this year too. The first roster had weird run/pass ratios and as they’ve made roster updates, the run/pass ratios feel like their more based on talent and coaches scheme and scheme fits.

Teams finished:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »