Home

Summary of what sliders do_Oraeon

This is a discussion on Summary of what sliders do_Oraeon within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Summary of what sliders do_Oraeon

Since EA never releases explanations I have done some testing in practice mode. You can't test in game because play calls and defense calls have dramatic effects on sacks and interceptions (test it out yourself, I can sack the AI every time if coverage lines up). All testing was comparing set plays and changes observed. You can see my statistics and sliders thread for the actual tests if you wish.

Threshold: Lowering this increases HB and WR speed against LB but generally won't have much effect on WR vs CB interactions unless there is a significant speed mismatch. Potentially could muck up other parts of the game such as pass rush, open recievers etc... Adjust to extremes at your own risk.

QB accuracy: Effects incomplete passes. It does not effect decision making or choices same distribution of short, medium and long passes. On further testing QB accuracy does not effect scrambling it was an error of too few samples. If you combine very low QB ACC 5-15 range with wide open passes (low pass coverage and high pass reaction you may get the results you are looking for).

Pass blocking: No discernable effect this year in AI vs AI interactions. It does markedly change the outcome of the players button press to beat the CPU offensive lineman blocking him. This stupid decision by EA porks the entire blocking slider. I set for CPU at 100 that way if I want to play DE it isn't too easy (you only win 30-40% of the time instead of 50% on default).

WR catching: Does what it says and increases or decreases drops

Run blocking: Raising this slider increases YPC and reduces TFL stats in game. Use to assist AI run game only after you adjust tackles.

Fumbles: Works but hard to quantify. The lower the number the more the fumbling.

Reaction time: This effects the reaction to the ball in the air and within the zones in zone defense. It also appears to boost the acceleration statistic of defenders to regain position. It has no effect on sacks but the lower the slider the better the defense and the more interceptions and deflections. Has no effects on play action or other trick plays. Summary: Higher reaction time makes the defense looser and reduces interceptions and deflections and increases YAC. Lower setting makes the defense tighter and increases INT and DEFL

Interceptions: Has no discernable effect on pass coverage. It does seem to control how often the AI drops the pass. Reaction seems to have more of an effect on closing to the pass.

Pass coverage: Effects route running statistic of the WR vs coverage statistic of the CB most likely. Has 2 impacts. 1) It controls the number of coverage sacks when zone offense is called (i.e. no one is open). 2) It cause defenders to visually make the wrong cut on cutting plays (outs, post, slants) and generate space. Reduce this slider to result in more open reciever's and less quarterback sacks particularly against zone.

Tackling: Used to generate more broken tackles. The lower the more broken tackles and big plays.

Last edited by Oraeon1224; 09-13-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Summary of what sliders do_Oraeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224
Since EA never releases explanations I have done some testing in practice mode. You can't test in game because play calls and defense calls have dramatic effects on sacks and interceptions (test it out yourself, I can sack the AI every time if coverage lines up). All testing was comparing set plays and changes observed. You can see my statistics and sliders thread for the actual tests if you wish.

Threshold: Lowering this increases HB and WR against LB but generally won't have much effect on WR vs CB unless there is a significant speed mismatch. Potentially could muck up other parts of the game such as pass rush, open recievers etc...

QB accuracy: Not tested yet

Pass blocking: No discernable effect this year. Do whatever you want with it, EA's new interaction system seems to have broken it. Sack numbers are due to coverage anyway (i.e. coverage sacks).

Run blocking: Raising this slider increases YPC and reduces TFL stats in game. Use to assist AI run game only after you adjust tackles.

Fumbles: Works but hard to quantify. The lower the number the more the fumbling.

Reaction time: This effects the reaction to the ball in the air and within the zones in zone defense. It also appears to boost the acceleration statistic of defenders to regain position. It has no effect on sacks but the lower the slider the better the defense and the more interceptions as opposed to deflections you see. Summary: Makes pass defense tighter and reduces YAC (adjust if YAC is too high)

Interceptions: Has no discernable effect on pass coverage. It does seem to control how often the AI drops the pass. Reaction seems to have more of an effect on closing to the pass.

Pass coverage: Effects route running statistic of the WR vs coverage statistic of the CB most likely. Has 2 impacts. 1) It controls the number of coverage sacks when zone offense is called (i.e. no one is open). 2) It cause defenders to visually make the wrong cut on cutting plays (outs, post, slants) and generate space. Reduce this slider to result in more open reciever's and less quarterback sacks particularly against zone.

Tackling: Used to generate more broken tackles. The lower the more broken tackles and big plays.

Thanks for doing the research! This was much needed.

So for defense reaction time, you're saying the lower you go with this slider, the faster the D will accelerate to get back into position? And you will see more interceptions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaggerCoach
Thanks for doing the research! This was much needed.

So for defense reaction time, you're saying the lower you go with this slider, the faster the D will accelerate to get back into position? And you will see more interceptions?

Correct. In my testing the lower the more interceptions. Interestingly there were more deflections at higher sliders because those interceptions turn into deflections. The pass coverage slider has the biggest effect on open receiver's and reaction changes the gap between players (i.e. with very low reaction times but coverage also low the CB can make the wrong move and be out of position badly and still not recover.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
PMO
Banned

PMO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraeon1224

Threshold: Lowering this increases HB and WR against LB but generally won't have much effect on WR vs CB unless there is a significant speed mismatch. Potentially could muck up other parts of the game such as pass rush, open recievers etc...

QB accuracy: Not tested yet

Pass blocking: No discernable effect this year. Do whatever you want with it, EA's new interaction system seems to have broken it. Sack numbers are due to coverage anyway (i.e. coverage sacks).

Reaction time: This effects the reaction to the ball in the air and within the zones in zone defense. It also appears to boost the acceleration statistic of defenders to regain position. It has no effect on sacks but the lower the slider the better the defense and the more interceptions as opposed to deflections you see. Summary: Higher makes pass defense tighter leading to interceptions and reduces YAC (adjust if YAC is too high), lower increases YAC and reduces interceptions

Are you going to make a slider set based off these for a true realistic sim feel of games?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMO
Are you going to make a slider set based off these for a true realistic sim feel of games?
Yeah I'd love to see what you come up with.

The first thing I'm going to test when I get home on Sunday will be pass reaction time and pass coverage at various settings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

Oraeon did some great work with the NCAA titles using these methods.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Just started!

OVR: 0

Okay guys I wasn't able to make a thread due to post count or something but using the theory of lowering the reaction time and upping the pass coverage I have came up with a set of sliders for the slider guys to maybe fine tune a bit. I played a half as the bucs against the cowboys and I noticed a few things; cpu run game was a kinda weak for the most part...at one point Murray was 7car. for 5yds. with that said run block could be bumped up a bit but it would be interesting to see how it played for a full game. Human run game was okay I broke off a 30+ yard run but it seemed pretty decent for the most part...could up cpu tackling to help make this more challenging.

Both cpu and Human passing were pretty solid. I noticed the awareness of romo to get rid of the ball relatively quickly when pressured...he even side stepped a Gerald McCoy who blew up the RG to complete a 10 yard in route across the middle...Also saw him take a few shots deep. with that said see what you guys think and come up with. hopefully if they play good for others someone can make a thread about them.

All Madden
12min
15sec runoff
Normal speed
fatigue 60
injuries 55
threshold 0

penalties default

auto subs using Aarons auto subs

special teams default settings

Human

QB ACC 35
Pass Block 1
WR catch 30
Run block 1
Fumbles 1
Pass React 1
Intercept 40
Pass Cover 50
Tackling 1

CPU

QB ACC 40
Pass Block 1
WR catch 30
Run block 1
Fumbles 1
Pass React 1
Intercept 40
Pass Cover 50
Tackling 40

Give them a shot and see what you guys think.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitlimped

All Madden
12min
15sec runoff
Normal speed
fatigue 60
injuries 55
threshold 0

penalties default

auto subs using Aarons auto subs

special teams default settings

Human

QB ACC 35
Pass Block 1
WR catch 30
Run block 1
Fumbles 1
Pass React 1
Intercept 40
Pass Cover 50
Tackling 1

CPU

QB ACC 40
Pass Block 1
WR catch 30
Run block 1
Fumbles 1
Pass React 1
Intercept 40
Pass Cover 50
Tackling 40

Give them a shot and see what you guys think.

Just to clarify. My testing showed that pass reaction effects interceptions and recovery not initially getting open. Pass coverage determines CB screwing up their coverage (you can test yourself on post routes or out routes by changing from 0 to 100 and observe how many times the defender is flat footed or turns the wrong way). I would decrease Pass coverage to reduce sacks.

Your settings should result in the following:
Lower pass reaction (i.e. they react quicker) equals more interceptions and tighter coverage (might be good for making it harder for the player, but bad for the CPU) should result in more sacks (in testing it actually didn't). If you want more open receiver's reduce pass coverage (worse coverage).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »