Home

Matt10's Madden 20 Sliders

This is a discussion on Matt10's Madden 20 Sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #4369
Pro

kingcrf's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Matt10's Madden 20 Sliders

Redeleting profile and sliders setting up then I'll stream a few games on the new set

Sent from my SM-G988U using Operation Sports mobile app
Gophers
Gators
Yankees
Old 04-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #4370
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Also, just posting here to update as I see I forgot to put it in the change notes, but threshold is at 45 now (from 40). It was included in the full slider description, but just in case that was missed:

=================================
Slider Update Log
=================================
4/11/2020: This was a team effort with OS member, and franchise youtuber, MrHurriicane. To be honest, I usually have him test each version as well. However, there was something that seemed off with this version and the 1.29 patch update. Initially I had thought it'd be a simple adjustment to PDR again, but the CPU QB perceived more time than they were given, and they very rarely played with much risk. Instead, they became robots and it was highly predictable of the type of games that would take place, regardless of player composition or team match ups.

As a result, we had to review the values of the current set, and see what could stay, and what may need to go - not to mention what type of behavior that could be triggered. Behavior in Madden is such a mix between trying to prevent and trying to empower. We are trying to prevent the CPU QB from being predictable, and we are empowering the CPU QB to make obvious logical base decisions. As a result of this logic being followed, it will then carry over to the defensive side of the ball. In its current form, the version 42 slider set is solid, but this most recent patch update has seemingly cancelled out the perception of how much time the CPU QB has on the ball - which in turn affects the way the defenders prepare their reactions. Cane found an older video from his Broncos series that had used Version 28 in this thread, which was coincidentally the Version 2 Sliders on my YouTube (I spare subscribers the 42 version updates lol), and the big factor was how the CPU QB played with such variety by way of a very low Pass Blocking value and a high offside value of 99. We opted to take the penalty values from Version 28, but gave extra emphasis to pressure on the QB by lowering RTP - which sped up the decision making process significantly. From there, it was about finding the best balance of good user pass coverage, speed disparity and overall player animations.

As I mentioned before, this has been a lot of fun, and we found ourselves in replay/sharing mode a lot. No two games feel the same, which is a great nod to the variety you can get with this set up. There are so many little things that I hadn't seen before, and parts of the game that I thought I had truly figured out - but am pleasantly surprised to have been proven that there are more ways to approach the sliders in this game. It is also some good validation that the analysis was acceptable overall.

Here is Version 43. It's posted complete and each slider value is reviewed. *Please note, I did not have time to review the All-Pro version yet, but will be doing so soon. In the small sample size of post-patch gameplay, I had not seen anything that was too alarming for the current All-Pro set. I also plan on modifying the OP format here to make it easier to read, but let's go ahead and get this set posted first.*

Speed Disparity Scale: 45 (previous: 40)
• Just a slight rise to help balance the coverage and separation. Good sweet spot between the positive thresholds of sets that used 40 and 48.

Injuries: 45 in Main Menu and in Franchise Menu (Previous: 5 in Main Menu; 45 in Franchise Menu)
• This value has seemed to lose its impact of effectiveness over the last couple patch updates. Setting it to 45 to remain in sync, not to mention easier to use the import function and not have to change the value in franchise is a plus.

Pass Blocking: 48/25 | 30/40 (Previous: 48/48 | 30/40)
• All Madden: A huge difference from before, and basically goes against the theory that the CPU needs to perceive more time on their end. Basically, what was found in the set version that inspired this change is that it forces the CPU QB to make decisions quickly. The key was ensuring that they weren't instantly throwing as soon as the ball touched their hands. As a result, some other values needed to be adjusted, however the benefit to this low PBL is that it resyncs the routes run, and the routes covered. From a defensive point of view, there is much less time to mess up the coverage because chances are the route is already finished, or the QB is ready to make a decision. Overall, the focus is back on the game plan and how either the CPU is going to handle what's in front of them, or how you as the user is going to be ready for their adjustments.

Run Blocking: 30/38 | 20/40 (Previous: 30/35 | 20/40)
• All Madden: Just a slight bump for the CPU’s run game to ensure they are accelerating where needed. The CPU’s run game is dynamic with not just RBL, but a multitude of other values.

Pass Defensive Reaction: 50/50 (Previous: 40/50)
• All Madden: This value needed to go back to normal as this set operates a bit differently since it is not on as low of a threshold and patch update 1.29 has seemed to revert back to normal with the PDR value in general.

• All Pro: This value needed to go back to normal as this set operates a bit differently since it is not on as low of a threshold and patch update 1.29 has seemed to revert back to normal with the PDR value in general.

Pass Coverage: 48/50 (Previous: 50/50)
• All Madden: That’s right, for the first time in this thread, the PCV value gets a change. The reason for this is because of the composition of the sliders that contribute towards CPU QB decision making. If left at 50, the user’s coverage is too tight, and the CPU QB stands around waiting for the perfect separation that will never come. From a defensive standpoint, the User’s coverage can’t perform a deflection animation because they are too tight (to the point they warp into the receivers), so lowering the value to 48 allows that natural separation to happen. This value was the last piece of the puzzle for the set and has brought in more confidence for the CPU QB, but also allows the user’s coverage to be in logical positions based on player ratings, etc. It also makes one feel like the CPU is giving up by just standing in the pocket and not throwing the ball at all, or even scrambling. Yes, this will still happen on occasion, but there is a significant uptick in quicker decisions.

• All Pro: Same as above for the AP set.

Tackling: 48/48 | 42/58 (Previous: 49/49 | 42/58)
• All Madden: I absolutely love lower tackling values. I feel they produce some of the best tackling animations that Madden can allow. In addition, the forward momentum is so key in football, and I had felt like at 49 the tackles were too perfect and too geared on forcing the ball carrier backwards. IRL this doesn’t happen that often, and usually requires a size mismatch to be produced. With the value at 48 there is just enough of a chance for runners to juke out of tackles, but also a chance they’ll get wrapped up - followed by 2-3 more defensive teammates to finish the job. What we also like about this change is how it brings the dynamic play of receivers to make things happen after the catch, which is something that has been missing for Madden 20 in general.

Offside: 99 (Previous: 75)
• One of the stars of the set, as it was in Version 28, because of how it helps the pass coverage, reaction and block shedding in the trenches.

False Start: 70
• This value is used to prepare the OL to be dynamic versus the oncoming pass rush. This, along with an increase in the holding value, creates the effect of holding the block longer despite a low PBL value.

Offensive Holding: 60 (Previous: 70)
• In the previous set the holding value got a bump to compensate for some of the higher PBL and lower threshold changes. With this set the value has to be lowered to combat the higher offside value and low PBL. The low PBL will cause more chances of the calls appearing, but it will also give the 3 penalties here to make the great animations of the OL/DL interaction.

Roughing the Passer: 25 (Previous: 50)
• This is the value that makes the pass rush get its second wind, but can also cause big plays to happen for both offense and defense. Offensively, it can take advantage of poor pursuit angles, and defensively it can make for some solid tackles that lead to fumbles and incompletions.

If you provide feedback, please advise of any modifications you have done from this OP set.

VERSION 43 - Game Settings

Skill Level: All-Madden | All-Pro

Rosters: EA Default (Active or Preseason)

Auto-subs: Default

Game Style: Simulation

Quarter Length: 13 minutes
• This value remains the same. I believe it gives a good amount of plays, and paired up with the accelerated clock, it doesn't feel like long games at all.

Accelerated Clock: On, 15 secs
• I've always had an accelerated clock set to Off, but this year I tried it for the first time, and actually really enjoy the clock speeding down to force me to make some split decisions.

Superstar Abilities: On
• As much as it pains me that this feature has been quite arcade-like, it's still an important feature of Madden 20. It may be a last minute choice to actually have it on in a "real" franchise (if I ever get one).

Gameplay Helpers

Defensive Auto Strafe: Off

Defensive Ball Hawk: On (this is on by default, so I've left it on, can say it doesn't make a difference in terms of attempting to isolate the poor coverage animations).

Defensive Heat Seeker Assist: Off

Defensive Switch Assist: Off

Game Options

Injuries: 45 in Main Menu and in Franchise Menu (Previous: 5 in Main Menu; 45 in Franchise Menu)
• This value has seemed to lose its impact of effectiveness over the last couple patch updates. Setting it to 45 to remain in sync, not to mention easier to use the import function and not have to change the value in franchise is a plus.

Fatigue: 50
• This value is going to stay at 50, and I will say I've kept it there. No longer going to pursue raising it as the slowdown animations, in coverage primarily, are too negative for me to consider working with anymore.

Speed Disparity Scale: 45 (previous: 40)
• Just a slight rise to help balance the coverage and separation. Good sweet spot between the positive thresholds of sets that used 40 and 48.

Player/CPU Skill Settings
*Community PC file: "Matt10_v43" (pending, tbd)
*Community PS4 file: "Matt10_v43" (pending, tbd)

QB Accuracy: 50/48 | 48/50
• All Madden: Reviewed this value mainly for the CPU on All-Madden and determined that 48 was a good spot. I tested 45 as the lowest value, which would create a good variety in throws, but it prevented the CPU QB to heave the ball long on 4-verts, so they'd wait for a receiver to come back 20 yards each time. As long as pass coverage remains intact, the CPU will try all sorts of passes, and yes - completion percentages.

• All Pro: No Change. Reduced the value for the user just a bit as the sense of inaccuracy needed to be increased based on the sensitivity of leading passes and touch. The CPU QB honors the variety of throws at 50 so there is no need to change their value.

Pass Blocking: 48/25 | 30/40 (Previous: 48/48 | 30/40)
• All Madden: A huge difference from before, and basically goes against the theory that the CPU needs to perceive more time on their end. Basically, what was found in the set version that inspired this change is that it forces the CPU QB to make decisions quickly. The key was ensuring that they weren't instantly throwing as soon as the ball touched their hands. As a result, some other values needed to be adjusted, however the benefit to this low PBL is that it resyncs the routes run, and the routes covered. From a defensive point of view, there is much less time to mess up the coverage because chances are the route is already finished, or the QB is ready to make a decision. Overall, the focus is back on the game plan and how either the CPU is going to handle what's in front of them, or how you as the user is going to be ready for their adjustments.

• All Pro: Lowering PBL seems questionable, but if there's anything I've learned this patch update is that the PBL controls how the CPU QB plays. It makes sense because when addressing the value relative to the All-Madden set, each time I lowered the PBL value, the CPU QB would release the ball quicker - increasing their completions. However, on AP, the CPU QB holds onto the ball too long and is usually waiting on receivers to come back out of their routes to make completions. With the PBL at 40, the CPU QB is forced to be decisive and makes all types of throws that are relative to their ratings and capabilities. It is also rewarding though for when you have a stout defensive line that can break through the OL to put pressure on the QB in the right fashion.

WR Catch: 49/45 | 45/55
• All Madden: The change here was for the CPU WRC because simply put they were catching everything, and everything in traffic. I did not feel bad lowering this value at all. This will reduce those one handed catches as well.

• All Pro: Pretty straightforward approach in getting the CPU receivers to catch and hold onto the ball a bit better. Even at 55 the ball can get jarred loose, but there will always be the chance of solid catches in traffic, etc. It's not as arcade-like as I expected though, and the variety of catches are a breath of fresh air all things considered. The lowering for the User value is simply to even out the interactions. The receivers can still catch plenty, and are threats to the CPU's coverage no matter what.

Run Blocking: 30/38 | 20/40 (Previous: 30/35 | 20/40)
• All Madden: Just a slight bump for the CPU’s run game to ensure they are accelerating where needed. The CPU’s run game is dynamic with not just RBL, but a multitude of other values.

• All Pro: Lowered the user's side just because the blocks were being held a bit longer, and I did not want to increase the tackle slider too much higher than where I have changed it to (58) as every tackle will be a bit too much like WWE body-slams. One would think raising the value for the CPU is obvious, but I couldn't go too high on the value because a lower threshold means the OL releases their blocks earlier and goes upfield sooner, basically leaving their RB in the dust after the snap.

Fumbles: 50/50
• No changes here.

Pass Defensive Reaction: 50/50 (Previous: 40/50)
• All Madden: This value needed to go back to normal as this set operates a bit differently since it is not on as low of a threshold and patch update 1.29 has seemed to revert back to normal with the PDR value in general.

• All Pro: This value needed to go back to normal as this set operates a bit differently since it is not on as low of a threshold and patch update 1.29 has seemed to revert back to normal with the PDR value in general.

Interceptions: 35/30 | 35/50
• All Madden: Just a slight change here for the sake of simply allowing the user to catch more picks compared to the All-Madden CPU. I'd like to say it helps the pass coverage, but it's not really that effective.

• All Pro: A more significant bump for the CPU as it brings in the sense of risk/reward when throwing the ball. That split decision of heaving a pass into the heavens or dumping it off could be a real key to the game scenario for the user. Nothing outrageous either as a result, and no warping interception animations that I had feared initially when moving this value up so high. Users also got a bump to help with some of the very obvious picks that should be made by elite players. I started to see too many obvious drops that didn't punish the CPU. I want a challenge, sure, but not by making my players worse.

Pass Coverage: 48/50 (Previous: 50/50)
• All Madden: That’s right, for the first time in this thread, the PCV value gets a change. The reason for this is because of the composition of the sliders that contribute towards CPU QB decision making. If left at 50, the user’s coverage is too tight, and the CPU QB stands around waiting for the perfect separation that will never come. From a defensive standpoint, the User’s coverage can’t perform a deflection animation because they are too tight (to the point they warp into the receivers), so lowering the value to 48 allows that natural separation to happen. This value was the last piece of the puzzle for the set and has brought in more confidence for the CPU QB, but also allows the user’s coverage to be in logical positions based on player ratings, etc. It also makes one feel like the CPU is giving up by just standing in the pocket and not throwing the ball at all, or even scrambling. Yes, this will still happen on occasion, but there is a significant uptick in quicker decisions.

• All Pro: Same as above for the AP set.

Tackling: 48/48 | 42/58 (Previous: 49/49 | 42/58)
• All Madden: I absolutely love lower tackling values. I feel they produce some of the best tackling animations that Madden can allow. In addition, the forward momentum is so key in football, and I had felt like at 49 the tackles were too perfect and too geared on forcing the ball carrier backwards. IRL this doesn’t happen that often, and usually requires a size mismatch to be produced. With the value at 48 there is just enough of a chance for runners to juke out of tackles, but also a chance they’ll get wrapped up - followed by 2-3 more defensive teammates to finish the job. What we also like about this change is how it brings the dynamic play of receivers to make things happen after the catch, which is something that has been missing for Madden 20 in general.

• All Pro: Another significant change here is to establish the run game for the CPU, and a bit more resistance for the user. The lowering for the user is obvious, but even at 42 the tackles are quite solid. The key was not changing the value so much that every first tackle is a broken one. It also helps with those jet sweeps and screens by the CPU to get a bit more forward movement versus just being tackled for a loss each time. On the CPU side, the max value I felt comfortable with was at 58 in which the quality of tackles are one thing, but so are the pursuit angles and swarming to the football. Tackles can still be broken, and if you're decent at running the ball, there is still a good sense of risk/reward.

Special Teams

FG Power: 50/50
• They've got the power of the field goals on point, but it's another year of Madden devs misunderstanding how us kickers need HEIGHT on most of our kicks. 99% of NFL kickers can kick the ball well above or in-line with the highest point of the goal posts from 35-45 yards out. Yet, in Madden, they reach mid-height instead. /rant

FG Accuracy: 48/48
• With great power comes great responsibility, and the kicker should feel that pressure no matter how far the kick is.

Punt Power: 44/44
• Dropped down just a couple notches to allow the punt returner some chance to actually return the ball.

Punt Accuracy: 50/50
• Slight bump here just to get a better handle on the punts more true to the players value. Oftentimes I've seen some of the worst punters still be able to bounce the ball back. In addition, the CPU would kick the ball through the endzone too often, thus skewing what they are really capable of.

Kickoff Power: 50/50
• No changes here. It's just about right, with plenty of variety when the wind blows.

Penalties

• Penalties affect gameplay. There is no way around that. That is what I have found. The concept of penalties affecting gameplay is simply for behavioral elements. It has layers to it though:

- Penalties raised = chance of value being called and animation increased
- Penalties raised = chance of player not wanting to be called on
- Penalties lowered = chance of value not being called and animation increased
- Penalties lowered = chance of player not caring because chances are it will not be called
What you have now is the concept of the reactions from those values being raised or lowered. For every action, there is a reaction, right? That is how the penalty sliders play a role in gameplay, and I've explained the ones I'm adjusting to make for a better experience.

Offside: 99 (Previous: 75)
• One of the stars of the set, as it was in Version 28, because of how it helps the pass coverage, reaction and block shedding in the trenches.

False Start: 70
• This value is used to prepare the OL to be dynamic versus the oncoming pass rush. This, along with an increase in the holding value, creates the effect of holding the block longer despite a low PBL value.

Offensive Holding: 60 (Previous: 70)
• In the previous set the holding value got a bump to compensate for some of the higher PBL and lower threshold changes. With this set the value has to be lowered to combat the higher offside value and low PBL. The low PBL will cause more chances of the calls appearing, but it will also give the 3 penalties here to make the great animations of the OL/DL interaction.

Defensive Pass Interference: 55
• Simply raising this value to get more DPI called as I did not see many on the last couple of sets.

Intentional Grounding: Off
• No changes here. Simply put I need the CPU QB to extend plays where they can. We lost a bit of dynamic play by the CPU QB at IG set to On because they just would not get out of their play design if things were forced to be the case.

Roughing the Passer: 25 (Previous: 50)
• This is the value that makes the pass rush get its second wind, but can also cause big plays to happen for both offense and defense. Offensively, it can take advantage of poor pursuit angles, and defensively it can make for some solid tackles that lead to fumbles and incompletions.

*Note about Ineligible Receiver Downfield*
Leave this value imported "as is", and do not worry about changing it to "On" for the in-game pause menu as previously suggested. It has very little to do with anything, and somehow it still gets called. A definite strange one overall. I am not going to adjust it, so I can't recommend doing anything with it other than leave it alone.

All Other Penalties Set to Default 50 or ON
Old 04-11-2020, 11:38 PM   #4371
Pro

kingcrf's Arena

V43
Its preseason so we'll see how my backups look

Check out my broadcast from my PlayStation 4! #PS4live (Madden NFL 20) live at https://t.co/Rh9Gxw2E7J

Gophers
Gators
Yankees
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2020, 12:35 AM   #4372
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcrf
V43
Its preseason so we'll see how my backups look

Check out my broadcast from my PlayStation 4! #PS4live (Madden NFL 20) live at https://t.co/Rh9Gxw2E7J

How are you feeling about then so far? Thanks for the vids!

Sent from my moto z3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-12-2020, 01:37 AM   #4373
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

Just finished my first game, figures the game had to be against the 49ers so I couldn’t tell if my negatives were actually negative or just cause it’s the 49ers defense. But my main takeaways were....sacks sacks and more sacks. There were a combined 12 sacks that game.

I noticed more pocket awareness from the cpu qb which I loved but most of the sacks from me and the cpu were a result of instant block shedding and from the X factor guys.

The other takeaway was the mirroring coverage at times from the cpu, sticky finger ints were back for the cpu also.

But I also noticed Matt posted a threshold update after I played this game so some of that could be the issue, or it was cause of the 49ers. Who knows will try my next game and find out
Old 04-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #4374
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsfan24
Just finished my first game, figures the game had to be against the 49ers so I couldn’t tell if my negatives were actually negative or just cause it’s the 49ers defense. But my main takeaways were....sacks sacks and more sacks. There were a combined 12 sacks that game.

I noticed more pocket awareness from the cpu qb which I loved but most of the sacks from me and the cpu were a result of instant block shedding and from the X factor guys.

The other takeaway was the mirroring coverage at times from the cpu, sticky finger ints were back for the cpu also.

But I also noticed Matt posted a threshold update after I played this game so some of that could be the issue, or it was cause of the 49ers. Who knows will try my next game and find out
I just played 2 games with it and I too had those sticky cpu picks, and I got sacked a lot more than usual. I went against the Eagles and Redskins. This might just be a madden thing but the players just look like they don't know where they're at on the field, after a play they just shift, warp, and walk right into each other after tackles and it looks weird. But I never had these weird interactions previously. But there definitely is an disadvantage in INTs where my defensive player just stands there and looks at the ball go above his head while the CPU makes crazy jumps to get a turnover. The INTs were less of a problem is v42. I'm gonna try one more game and see the same issues occur.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:15 AM   #4375
Pro

kingcrf's Arena

Played one regular season game off stream, user run game felt easy, averaged 10+pc on the broncos until I had to try inside the 10 where it feels like everything gets stuffed. Still not getting pressure, I get sacks but its either a coverage sack an unblocked blitzer or the cpu has 6+ seconds in the pocket. Overall felt similar to the last set to me, which is to say very good but its still Madden 20

Gophers
Gators
Yankees
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2020, 02:33 AM   #4376
Banned

Just finished year 1 week 9 against the Ravens and... best game of madden I've ever had!!!

Quick recap:
-First drive Jackson hits Snead on a post for a beautiful TD
-I march down on a 12 play drive capping it off with a TD pass to Edelman
-We trade jabs on a couple good drives ending in punts
-I was dominating their run game (1ypc) so I optioned RB on first down and Jackson breaks off a 75yd TD run where Chung was juked. to. death.
-4th quarter I'm down 20-17 and their run game had picked up to 4ypc.. looked like I was losing and then on 3rd down with 2:30 left Jackson attempts to scramble right to avoid the blitz and Michael Bennett makes a move and SACK!!!
-Brady gets the ball and we march down to the 12 with 55 seconds left. Dorsett and Edelman were tired so on 3rd down we rely on our backups, it's all we have. 3 slants from shotgun, Brady moves right in the pocket, Matthew Slater beats his man Brady drops the dime!!! 24-20!!!! Game over!!!

Lamar finished with 100yds rushing, 78% completion on 15 throws

This was the first game all season Henry was held below 170yds - 97!!! Still ran for 6ypc but the CPU must have made adjustments after the first quarter because it was tough after that.

I'm sold!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »