Home

Matt10's Madden 20 Sliders

This is a discussion on Matt10's Madden 20 Sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 07-28-2019, 01:49 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Background: I just love sliders, or gameplay customization, in general. It's been a huge part of my digital presence. From editing individual stats in Madden 2004, to creating NCAA sliders with the OS community back when my oldest boy (who's 6 now) had a front row cradle on my computer desk. I'm an old MaddenMania guy, but I'm very proud of how long I've been part of OS. I was big into Dynasty/Franchise reporting, and since I've gone more of a YouTube route, that's been placed a bit in the backburner. I have goals for this "20" season though.

Focus of the Sliders: It's always about animations for me. Animations are the confirmation of whether logic exists or not. They can be triggered and recreated through a proper sequence, but with sliders the source of finding those sequences could be an endless battle. I love it though, and I love seeing different animations play out. From there it's making sure they are contextual to the goal at hand. So, in addition to animations, of course I want there to be realism. The reason I like realism is because that now creates a sense of challenge, which is usually the whole point of all this.

For those that followed my Madden 19 Sliders , you may see some similar theories applied. I took a real big deep dive into default values and tested a lot on finding isolation points. I exited Madden for the first time today, already logging 40 hours since I got it on the PC.

=================================
Slider Update Log
11/13/19: All right, so this is what I am calling the icing on the cake. It's just a very slight adjustment to allow a bit more smoother animations to show up. In addition, the game management element comes back into play. The good thing is there are not many changes, so it is easy to be applied into an existing franchise.

Here's Version 29:

Fatigue: 52 (Previous: 50)
• I know I've dabbled in this value for previous sets. The biggest scare was the jogging/walking animations that would show up at random. However, the last couple patch updates, I've seen these types of animations appear even with the fatigue value at 50. My working theory is that because the fatigue value was at 50, the players seemed to conserve their energy, thus making less explosive plays and moves. When the value is raised to 52, I instantly see animations that indicate there is a sense of purpose and aggression - thus reducing the stamina. The good thing about this value is that it is all-encompassing, so it affects every facet of the game. In addition, it brings in elements of game management because subs will come in sooner based on the scenario at hand.

Injuries: 5 in Main Menu; 50 in Franchise Menu (previous: 40 in Franchise Menu)
• So I'd say this is optional, but I like it because the type of injuries on 40 were starting to be the same ones to the running backs. It's odd because I had not seen this in the last patch update (1.17 and 1.16), so 1.18 has forced a change. It's not necessarily a bad one though, and I'm sure users already have their own preferences. I think this patch update has smoothed out some animations overall, and the injury value in the Main Menu continues to do what I wanted with getting things like foot-planting, etc, on point.
11/05/19: Thanks to @seanstephans for working on a Coach Mode set based on the sliders. If you are interested in that mode, please click HERE for his most recent updates.

In terms of the most recent patch update. There is nothing that has stood out as negative for me yet. I will keep reviewing the gameplay though, but so far so good to remain with the current set.

VERSION 29 - Game Settings

Very Important.

As a good practice, please make sure the values in the CFM are the same as they are in the Main Menu. This includes Difficulty level especially. I believe the CPU perceives the USER by the difficulty value they have set in the Main Menu as well as the Franchise. So if you are seeing a lot of Robo QB, make sure you're not set to All Pro in Main Menu, and All Madden in Franchise.

My recommendation is to modify the settings in the Main Menu exactly as posted, then go ahead and use the Import Custom Sliders in the Franchise (CFM > Settings > Gameplay Sliders > Import Custom Sliders).

This way, there is no discrepancy between the two. I have tested this with having a discrepancy and a lot of the poor coverage animations occur, but also the slider values do not seem to carry over the same amount of impact.

If you provide feedback, please advise of any modifications you have done from this OP set.

Skill Level: All-Madden | All-Pro

Rosters: EA Default (Active or Preseason)

Auto-subs: Default

Game Style: Simulation

Quarter Length: 13 minutes
• This value remains the same. I believe it gives a good amount of plays, and paired up with the accelerated clock, it doesn't feel like long games at all.

Accelerated Clock: On, 15 secs
• I've always had accelerated clock set to Off, but this year I tried it for the first time, and actually really enjoy the clock speeding down to force me to make some split decisions.

Superstar Abilities: On
• As much as it pains me that this feature has been quite arcade-like, it's still an important feature of Madden 20. It may be a last minute choice to actually have it on in a "real" franchise (if I ever get one).

Gameplay Helpers

Defensive Auto Strafe: Off

Defensive Ball Hawk: On (this is on by default, so I've left it on, can say it doesn't make a difference in terms of attempting to isolate the poor coverage animations).

Defensive Heat Seeker Assist: Off

Defensive Switch Assist: Off

Game Options

Injuries: 5 in Main Menu; 50 in Franchise Menu (previous: 40 in Franchise Menu)
• So I'd say this is optional, but I like it because the type of injuries on 40 were starting to be the same ones to the running backs. It's odd because I had not seen this in the last patch update (1.17 and 1.16), so 1.18 has forced a change. It's not necessarily a bad one though, and I'm sure users already have their own preferences. I think this patch update has smoothed out some animations overall, and the injury value in the Main Menu continues to do what I wanted with getting things like foot-planting, etc, on point.

Fatigue: 52 (Previous: 50)
• I know I've dabbled in this value for previous sets. The biggest scare was the jogging/walking animations that would show up at random. However, the last couple patch updates, I've seen these types of animations appear even with the fatigue value at 50. My working theory is that because the fatigue value was at 50, the players seemed to conserve their energy, thus making less explosive plays and moves. When the value is raised to 52, I instantly see animations that indicate there is a sense of purpose and aggression - thus reducing the stamina. The good thing about this value is that it is all-encompassing, so it affects every facet of the game. In addition, it brings in elements of game management because subs will come in sooner based on the scenario at hand.

Speed Disparity Scale: 48
• Adjustment here is to get the coverage back in-sync and help the reactions to the ball in the air. In addition, the lower threshold at 35 was resulting in the over-aggressive coverage animations to really stand out, making defenders look a bit foolish. It still happens because it's M20, but it's all about if the defenders can recover or not. In addition to the coverage, this value does help a bit with the blocking, but not so much that it is going back to sticky blocking or too much suction blocking. The goal of having less 2-man animations remains intact as well. Overall happy with being able to use a lower threshold as a result.

Player/CPU Skill Settings
*Community PC file: "Matt10_v29" (pending, tbd)
*Community PS4 file: "Matt10_v29" (pending, tbd)

QB Accuracy: 50/50
• QBA is a highly controversial topic, and part of me wants to say "Play what you want", but a big part of me says "trust me". Take the concept that the QB is the general on the field. His play dictates the entire play of all players and flow of the game. I feel like at 50 QBA the CPU playcalling is also significant. The QBA dictates a tendency, and that is why you will see more variety from all sorts of trajectories and types of throws. I also feel that QBA at 50 is true to the rating, and with the adjustment to the set, the coverage is tighter and defensive players will be rewarded for good positioning. As always adjust as you see fit, but I truly feel people will miss out without putting this at 50 for good.

Pass Blocking: 25/25
• The current patch of 1.13 (1.12 more defining) is the reason this finally needs a solid good look. The OL/DL interaction on default is very sticky and stuck in 2-man animations of suction blocking unfortunately, so it's time to modify the value significantly to address the behavior. The animations I look for here are multiple across the line, which forces the QB to be aware of what is in front of him and downfield. I did test this in increments of 5 down, then 10 up, all the way from 5 to 95 (in hopes of reversed slider value). I found that 25, at the threshold and penalty values presented, displays the best in ratings and fatigue accurately.

WR Catch: 50/50
• I believe that dropped catches were a bit skewed on values under 50. The defense in most sets has been good to interact with a receiver, but the dropped catch stat would only suggest 1 or 2 (most of 3), which didn't seem accurate because it felt like so many catches were being dropped in traffic. I decided that I've got the QBA value under 50, let's balance it out and raise the WRC from a previous 48 to 50. This ensures different type of catch animations and adjustments to the ball in the air, which will be more likely with a less than 50 QBA value.

Run Blocking: 25/25 | 25/35 (previous: 25/25 | 25/25)
• The OL/DL interaction isn't just about the behavior at the LOS, but primarily how second level interactions go. My biggest concern with lowering this value was to get stagnant offensive linemen that just looked around at who to block, instead of trying to get to the second level blocks. The good thing about this value, paired up with the penalty values (false start/offside/holding) is that the intent to block is there, but the animations of block shedding can still occur based on the ratings of the defensive player. The threshold lowered also allows less of the warping blocks to occur by the second level OL and receivers accordingly.

• All Pro: Just a bit more time for the CPU RB to make some plays. Felt they were getting a lot of negative yardage due to the blocks being shed.

Fumbles: 50/50 (previous: 52/52)
• Lowered this back down to help the runners and receivers behave more in line with what is happening on the field. The higher fumble value, at times, would make things seem a bit unrealistic in the sense of the RB starting to cover too soon, or the receivers coming down with impossible catches, despite receiving a big hit or swat on the ball. It's more so about consistency here than anything, and I think adjusting this value will help for more dynamic play throughout.

Pass Defense Reaction Time: 62/52 ALL-MADDEN | 52/52 ALL-PRO
• This is the only value that has a difference based on All-Madden vs All-Pro. Technically, you can use 62/62 for both, but I found that some CPU QBs just could not get off the mark with some high user level reactions on All-Pro. Overall, this value is true to what the number is and it lets the animations of batting the ball down take priority over interceptions animation in the right spots. Ambitious defenders will still take chances on going for the pick though, so there is definitely some randomness that can happen.

Interceptions: 38/38
• I started to feel like as we got into the 40's the defenders were catching better in traffic than receivers were. I didn't quite like the brick hands of 35, so I found that 38 is a good enough balance. It's definitely arbitrary, but relative to the set, I believe it's a good one to see a mix of brick hands and soft catches.

Pass Coverage: 50/50
• If I'm consistent in anything, it's this useless PCV value. It still does not do a thing. It gets tested each and every time, and each and every time, it fails me. I've left it alone for yet another set.

Tackling: 50/50
• The patch update to 1.14 introduces a focus on tackling, which I am a big fan of, so I naturally wanted to keep this value in-line with any possible tackling animations. This will also balance out the threshold adjustment because there will be just slightly longer blocks held by the OL.

Special Teams

FG Power: 50/50
• They've got the power of the field goals on point, but it's another year of Madden devs misunderstanding how us kickers need HEIGHT on most of our kicks. 99% of NFL kickers can kick the ball well above or in-line with the highest point of the goal posts from 35-45 yards out. Yet, in Madden, they reach mid-height instead. /rant

FG Accuracy: 48/48
• With great power comes great responsibility, and the kicker should feel that pressure no matter how far the kick is.

Punt Power: 44/44
• Dropped down just a couple notches to allow the punt returner some chance to actually return the ball.

Punt Accuracy: 50/50
• Slight bump here just to get a better handle on the punts more true to the players value. Often times I've seen some of the worst punters still be able to bounce the ball back. In addition, the CPU would kick the ball through the endzone too often, thus skewing what they are really capable of.

Kickoff Power: 50/50
• No changes here. It's just about right, with plenty of variety when the wind blows.

Penalties

• Penalties affect gameplay. There is no way around that. That is what I have found. The concept of penalties affecting gameplay is simply for behavioral elements. It has layers to it though:

- Penalties raised = chance of value being called and animation increased
- Penalties raised = chance of player not wanting to be called on
- Penalties lowered = chance of value not being called and animation increased
- Penalties lowered = chance of player not caring because chances are it will not be called
What you have now is the concept of the reactions from those values being raised or lowered. For every action, there is a reaction, right? That is how the penalty sliders play a role in gameplay, and I've explained the ones I'm adjusting to make for a better experience.

Offside: 99
• Still works just as much as it had in previous sets. Yes, it gets called, as it should, but it plays a big role in the route coverage that the PCV could not do.

False Start: 70
• A strong compliment to the Offside and Offensive Holding, the false start value prepares the OL to be dynamic against the DL, while still bringing in that sense that a penalty can happen to affect momentum.

Offensive Holding: 60
• With the adjustment to the the threshold, I was able to lower the offensive holding value a bit more. It still brings in the strength of block shedding in the right spots, but also gets called just a bit less - but not so little that it doesn't get called at all.

Defensive Pass Interference: 55
• Dropped this value down because I started to see the same type of DPI's called. The animation was still smooth, but it became a bit of an eye sore. When I adjusted this, paired with the injuries value, there were much more variety in DPI animations. Sometimes they are called, sometimes they aren't. I also like this value for the what it does to pass coverage, relative to the set, where it makes the defenders less hesitant to put a hand or get closer to the receivers. Should make a big difference and compliment the QBA/WR values.

Block in the Back: 55
• I started to see this animation more often, it wasn't being called though. It was so obvious, especially by receivers and TE's when the OL was overpowering upfield. This was tested on default and various thresholds/fatigues. Bumping this one will ensure the penalty is called when it happens. It's not called too often with this simple bump either, but it is enough to make the difference of a big gain or drive killer.

Roughing the Passer: 50
• As much as I liked this value at 35, the patch 1.14 seemed to have address pursuit angles all on it sown with updating the tackle animations. Things lost a bit of sync with this value at 35, and it ended up hurting the coverage for the user. Keeping things safe and bumping it back up to default, 50.

Intentional Grounding: Off
• I know this is one of those values that keeps getting switched on and off, but to be fair, I have been in high threshold values for quite a while, and the behavior of IG in a high threshold compared to a lower threshold are enough to be considered. In a low threshold, there is a bit more space to be covered, but that also means there is a wider assignment focus for the defenders. Meaning less separation (threshold) = more chance of being released from an assignment. So a safety or linebacker will react quicker to a QB scrambling out of the pocket because they release from their preassigned mark sooner. The more the CPU QB is being forced to stick to their gameplan (completion), the more they will stand still in the pocket, in their first read - and just wait. Scramblers will scramble, and passers will pass or throw the ball away. They will surprise you, as shown in the videos, in making forced passes as well. The lower QBA you go, the more safe they'll go, and the higher, the more aggressive. This is why I like the value at 48 because it is just below the base of 50 to respect throwing power that looks realistic still, while still maintaining QB behavior and decision making, relative to the IG and RTP values.

*Note about Ineligible Receiver Downfield*
Leave this value imported "as is", and do not worry about changing it to "On" for the in-game pause menu as previously suggested. It has very little to do with anything, and somehow it still gets called. A definite strange one overall. I am not going to adjust it, so can't recommend to do anything with it other than leave it alone.

All Other Penalties Set to Default 50 or ON
Question and Answers!

**I'll have more of these as the thread goes along**

Question: How can I tone down the CPU play overall?
Spoiler

Question: The CPU QB is torching me. How can I lessen their completion %?
Spoiler

Question: How can I lessen the human run game?
Spoiler

Question: My receivers are dropping passes, what can I do?
Spoiler

Slider Log Update - Archive

VERSION HISTORY POSTED HERE

Version 28
Spoiler

Version 27
Spoiler

Version 26
Spoiler

Version 25
Spoiler

Version 24
Spoiler

Version 23
Spoiler

Version 22
Spoiler

Version 21
Spoiler

Version 20
Spoiler

Version 19 (post-patch 9/3/2019)
Spoiler

Version 18 (post-patch 9/3/2019) - Discontinued)
Spoiler

Version 17 (post-patch 9/3/2019)
Spoiler

"Final Version" (pre-patch 9/3/2019)
Spoiler

VERSION 16
Spoiler

VERSION 15
Spoiler

VERSION 14
Spoiler

VERSION 13
Spoiler

VERSION 12
Spoiler

VERSION 11
Spoiler

VERSION 10
Spoiler

VERSION 9
Spoiler

VERSION 8
Spoiler

VERSION 5 (improved)
Spoiler

VERSION 7
Spoiler

VERSION 6
Spoiler

VERSION 5
Spoiler

VERSION 4 (compiled Versions 1 thru 3)
Spoiler

Last edited by Matt10; 11-15-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 AM   #2
Rookie

jgreengutta's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Matt10's Madden 20 Sliders

First lol Let's test these babies out... Get em Matt
Old 07-28-2019, 02:37 AM   #3
MVP

MvPeterson2828's Arena

Another year! Glad to have ya on board Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-28-2019, 03:36 AM   #4
Just started!

I played one half as the vikings and played against the Falcons. Matt Ryan threw for 20/21 and scored on each drive. User gameplay is the best I've had.

Note: I had superstar abilities ON, I also increased fumble slider to 80, otherwise anytime a player with superstar abilities did the hit-stick animation, it would be a fumble.

There is a decent chance that RoboQB could be from superstar abilities on, I will provide feedback after I've done some testing if you would like.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:58 AM   #5
Rookie

jgreengutta's Arena

Can superstar abilities be turned on... I like the SA idea and i think with your sliders it can work wonders
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2019, 04:00 AM   #6
Rookie

jgreengutta's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelunker_
I played one half as the vikings and played against the Falcons. Matt Ryan threw for 20/21 and scored on each drive. User gameplay is the best I've had.

Note: I had superstar abilities ON, I also increased fumble slider to 80, otherwise anytime a player with superstar abilities did the hit-stick animation, it would be a fumble.

There is a decent chance that RoboQB could be from superstar abilities on, I will provide feedback after I've done some testing if you would like.
Dang I hope not lol... I want use the SA with these sliders
Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 AM   #7
MVP

MvPeterson2828's Arena

Don’t have time for a full game Tonight but halftime Ravens Vs Dolphins (me) it is 20-14. Lamar Jackson is 13/18 122 yards 2 TDs. Definitely no robo QB here. He has missed passes actually and had some broken up. I think with your slider set with superstar abilities will work just fine. It also isn’t too uncommon anymore to see guys in the 75% completions anymore or maybe even a little higher for elite guys like Brees, Brady, etc. with Rosen right now I am 9/15 and has already missed some passes. Especially deep passes. But again, need more sample size and a few full games under my belt to confirm.

Also I’m not sure if you are plugging in sliders in main menu and importing or leaving main menu default, but I did do a test game before this currently and I left injuries in main menu at 10, plugged in everything else as threshold, assists off, fatigue. Played a game and coverage seemed really wonky. Going off of some info I got from JoshC. I backed out and did 50/50 injury. Main menu and cfm and notice instant improvement so just throwing that out there...

Last edited by MvPeterson2828; 07-28-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelunker_

Thanks for testing them out. I'm not too sure about Superstar Abilities, and if they are the point to isolate. RoboQB is a strange one and in my testing it's been more for the fact that a discrepancy between the Main Menu and CFM. If you can determine Superstar Abilities works, definitely let me know. I'll test as well, but it won't be the highest priority before I get even more sample size of the set in hand. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MvPeterson2828
Don’t have time for a full game Tonight but halftime Ravens Vs Dolphins (me) it is 20-14. Lamar Jackson is 13/18 122 yards 2 TDs. Definitely no robo QB here. He has missed passes actually and had some broken up. I think with your slider set with superstar abilities will work just fine. It also isn’t too uncommon anymore to see guys in the 75% completions anymore or maybe even a little higher for elite guys like Brees, Brady, etc. with Rosen right now I am 9/15 and has already missed some passes. Especially deep passes. But again, need more sample size and a few full games under my belt to confirm.

Also I’m not sure if you are plugging in sliders in main menu and importing or leaving main menu default, but I did do a test game before this currently and I left injuries in main menu at 10, plugged in everything else as threshold, assists off, fatigue. Played a game and coverage seemed really wonky. Going off of some info I got from JoshC. I backed out and did 50/50 injury. Main menu and cfm and notice instant improvement so just throwing that out there...

I will include a bit more in-depth instructions regarding the Main Menu and Franchise Menu set up. You are right, any type of discrepancy between the two, can cause issues. I edited it in the OP after publishing the post initially. However, I think more specific instructions (not just difficulty) should be made clear.

Thanks, buddy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »