Home

Advantages to playing on Slow?

This is a discussion on Advantages to playing on Slow? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Advantages to playing on Slow?

Slow just feels right to me, but it does make the game a little easier. I will probably stick with slow and use sliders to adjust things.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Gator Bait

Swamp Swagger's Arena

OVR: 9

Slow looks and feels better but also feel like it makes the game easier because you have more time to react
Old 08-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The biggest thing with playing on Slow for me in previous years was having more time to read the defensive coverage, process information, and make a sound decision with where to throw the ball.

This year I'm playing on Normal speed to up the challenge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0

I played solely on Slow speed last year in M25, and I would say the advantages are some that people have already mentioned.. slower game overall on the field, much slower players, and some will say they see better animations. I enjoyed playing on it last year.

BUT, this year in M15 Normal speed feels fine. I ran a Jet Sweep with Tavon Austin on Slow speed (96 spd, 95 acc) and it seemed like he was moving in slow-motion (no feeling of how quick he really is), compared to how the speed of the NFL game is actually played. Normal does not feel arcadey at all in M15, like I imagine Very Fast speed would.. it feels more like you are seeing real NFL players move and react somewhat at an NFL pace. Just make sure you set your Speed Threshold slider at a realistic setting. Plus, the animations on Normal speed so far have been great from all the games I've played thus far. I still see them as I do on Slow speed.

So, no Slow speed this year for me. Normal feels more realistic for a game of NFL football, but as some have already stated, there are advantages to playing on Slow if you do find Normal too difficult for you, especially when reading and reacting during plays.

Last edited by Shon 23; 08-28-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
MVP

WizKhid's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94
I played solely on Slow speed last year in M25, and I would say the advantages are some that people have already mentioned.. slower game overall on the field, much slower players, and some will say they see better animations. I enjoyed playing on it last year.

BUT, this year in M15 Normal speed feels fine. I ran a Jet Sweep with Tavon Austin on Slow speed (96 spd, 95 acc) and it seemed like he was moving in slow-motion (no feeling of how quick he really is), compared to how the speed of the NFL game is actually played. Normal does not feel arcadey at all in M15, like I imagine Very Fast speed would.. it feels more like you are seeing real NFL players move and react somewhat at an NFL pace. Just make sure you set your Speed Threshold slider at a realistic setting. Plus, the animations on Normal speed so far have been great from all the games I've played thus far. I still see them as I do on Slow speed.

So, no Slow speed this year for me. Normal feels more realistic for a game of NFL football, but as some have already stated, there are advantages to playing on Slow if you do find Normal too difficult for you, especially when reading and reacting during plays.

What're threshold setting?? if you don't mind sharing??

Miami Hurricanes|Houston Texans|Sacramento Kings
Old 08-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 1

I haven't messed too much with sliders or threshold but everything looked unnaturally fast to me on normal so I switched to slow. It is certainly easier but it also looks more 'right' to me.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizKhid
What're threshold setting?? if you don't mind sharing??
Well, last year in M25 the speed threshold at 25 worked perfectly. Separation for the elite speed/quick players was seen, and O-linemen that would pull to block moved quick enough to not get in your RB's way.

This year, at 25 I did not see the same separation from the faster players. I didn't notice much difference from 50 to 25, at all. I tried 35 first, then 25, but players like Tavon Austin were just not getting separation from the much slower players. If you go to the slider forum you can see players using different thresholds, so it might be preference, but I'm running it at 0 right now. Our fellow member Armor and Sword worked on M25 last year and is also using a 0 speed threshold, but on Slow game speed.. I'm not sure if that makes a difference anyway though.

At 0 I'm seeing the faster players get their separation/gaining distance on players that shouldn't keep up, and the O-linemen are still pulling to block without being so slow they get in the RB's way. It just seems the speed threshold slider is a bit different this year than last, but I'm not sure. I still need to play more games with faster players. Brandin Cooks on the Saints is another very fast player to try out. His stats are just one point below Austin's in speed and acceleration. I haven't checked Devin Hester's (on the Falcons) spd and acc, but that could be another player to try out and see if he can get burn the slower players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #16
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I haven't messed too much with sliders or threshold but everything looked unnaturally fast to me on normal so I switched to slow. It is certainly easier but it also looks more 'right' to me.
To each their own.

Hey, I played on Slow last year and felt it was perfect for me, but after playing with some of the elite speed players in the NFL in M15, I just can't take seeing them move so slow using Slow speed in-game (like moving in sludge for the elite speed and acceleration guys), so I had to change it for this year.

Now if I missed out on animations playing Normal speed, I might have gone back to Slow, but I have seen the animations play out just as well, in my opinion... but I also need to see the game feel like the NFL pace somewhat on the screen (another personal preference), and not slowed down unnaturally to see running holes open up (I see those on Normal just fine) and close, or reading through my WR progressions before taking a sack. Just feels more like the NFL to me. The only setting that gets arcadey is Very Fast speed.. bouncing around like pinballs and whatnot. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »