Home

Replacing awareness

This is a discussion on Replacing awareness within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Replacing awareness

I think the awareness stat just needs to be removed and replaced with traits for all positions. Some positions have a form of them anyway such as WR feet inbounds trait. I will make a list of all the traits that need to be in the game for each position.

Quartback- Awareness determines how smart a qb Will play. But what's the difference between 85 and 95 awareness? Not that much from my years of playing. The trait that should be added is" reading defense" trait. It would have 5 levels. The options would be bad, simple, decent, good, and great. Bad would make qbs Not make any presnap adjustments or make very bad ones and based on the coverage would make very bad reads. Ie: more complex coverages would confuse the qb more while simple coverages would be more manageable to him. Obviously as a user this trait would be mostly useless as awareness is now. Increasing this skill makes cpu quarterbacks smarter till they get to ideal ala Peyton Manning.

Running backs- They have ball carrier vision which is like their version of awareness which is fine.

Wide receivers- they need a trait called something like situational awareness. On third down plays they'll be more likely run routes closer to the first down line or near the sideline to stop the clock. They'll also make better decisions when option routes are called for them. Have the rating from oblivious to ideal.

Offensive lineman- a major one that is needed is blitz pickup trait. Some offensive lineman are a lot better at reading a blitz before the snap. In Madden all blocking assignments are predetermined but in the real world these are often dynamic based on defensive shifts and looks. Better skilled lineman expect the blitz faster and can make adjustments throughout a play to be in a better position to stop it. Rookie lineman would have a lot harder time with this and are more likely to be burned on a blitz.

For the defense play recognition is the primary rating for most of the defense and that's fine but I feel a few more are needed.

Defensive line- like the offensive line, the defensive line gaps are predetermined. There needs to be a traits that is encompassing to decide where they will rush. A smarter lineman won't rush to the outside if he has a favorable matchup inside based on the offensive formation. He will try to exploit those weaknesses. In Madden It needs to be called rush intelligence. From poor to ideal. Poor would be the equivalent of picking a poor gap to run through to even taking himself out of a Run play by choosing a wrong gap whereas ideal would be someone who always seems to be around the ball and never out of a play.

Linebackers- they also need the rush intelligence trait listed above but they also need assignment intelligence where they would be better or worse when deciding who to pick up in coverage to making better decisions when it's a two on one situation such as deciding to cover a te or rb and it would be dynamic based on The situation. Covering a rb in the flat is less important on 3rd and long than a te who is running a streak on that play. It would, I think, realistically simulate, a blown coverage situation or guys getting lost in coverage.

Secondary- we already have the play ball trait which is needed but we also need a dynamic coverage trait. This would determine if a corner would undercut a route if he's successful or gets burned on the play. Also it would need to account for game situation. A smarter cb or s Will be less likely to get an interference penalty or let a receiver get behind him in a third and long situation.

Ideally I would like traits to determine how the players act while physical ratings will determine the outcome. Also we will get a much better idea of a players worth. Instead the rosters we have now have inflated overalls with awareness being basically a modifier to get overalls to line up with how player A is rated to player B and often it's not a true value of the player since its the value of him compared to someone else.

I Hope this all made sense but I think you can sed where I'm going with this.

Last edited by oneamongthefence; 10-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Replacing awareness

I like the idea you presented
Old 10-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Some good ideas....I know Awareness seems to be a catch all for all players and really has too much power over all positions....

Would like to see a discipline rating, that would determine penalty chance, at the very least, and then make the penalty sliders actually effect the frequency chance of violations in relation to something like a discipline player rating, and then provide a simple ON/Off option, default OFF, so those Head to Head/Tourney girls don't cry like babies cause their game may be decided on some random penalty call....
Old 10-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

You make great, valid points 👌

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

A discipline trait is a great tie-in to penalties

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

oneamongthefence's Arena

Awareness has been around far too long and its so ambiguous as to what it does it needs to be removed completely. Actually gap discipline would be a good trait as well. The point is to also better differentiate between players. For example the biggest gripe coming in to Madden this year on ratings was Tom Brady and Russell Wilson are rated the same. I think they had to fudge some numbers to get those ratings to match and one was awareness. All players should be rated the same not compared to one another. Tom Brady's overall should not be compared to Peyton when their coming up with an arbitrary overall to give him. He should be rated on his own merit. By getting rid of awareness and the impact on it has on overall it gives the user a better idea how this player is on his measurables. Then you could look to see how they differ. Tom Brady has the ideal reading defense trait and Russell has good So you know that when playing Russell Wilson, more complex coverages will equal a harder time for him to read those coverages making more bad throws whereas Tom Brady wouldn't have hardly any trouble at all reading the defense before the snap and less likely to get faked out or tricked and make a better decision.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Rookie

Danbo80's Arena

OVR: 2

I agree with a lot of these suggestions. But what seperates the Bad, good and truly Elite QBs.
In my opinion its two things.
Poise rating-Ability to throw accurate passes while under pressure(pass rush). Lets face it, any NFL QB looks good when he has time to throw. This rating would be a modifier to his initial accuracy ratings. if he's under slight pressure its a slight reduction. Heavy pressure would be a heavy reduction. This would help with the lack of inaccurate passes. Would seperate the P.Mannings from the K.cousins(good when not under pressure).

Read defense rating-Essentially the awareness rating now. Would determine how quickly the QB finds the open/right receiver. For human controlled QBs there could be a delay for the passing icons coming up.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #8

oneamongthefence's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo80
I agree with a lot of these suggestions. But what seperates the Bad, good and truly Elite QBs.
In my opinion its two things.
Poise rating-Ability to throw accurate passes while under pressure(pass rush). Lets face it, any NFL QB looks good when he has time to throw. This rating would be a modifier to his initial accuracy ratings. if he's under slight pressure its a slight reduction. Heavy pressure would be a heavy reduction. This would help with the lack of inaccurate passes. Would seperate the P.Mannings from the K.cousins(good when not under pressure).

Read defense rating-Essentially the awareness rating now. Would determine how quickly the QB finds the open/right receiver. For human controlled QBs there could be a delay for the passing icons coming up.
Or how about a composure trait that changes. I really wanna do away with a lot of the ratings. Not enough separation between numbers. It wasn't so bad when ratings were stretched and there was more disparity between players. Over time they have become more condensed. There's really not a whole lot of difference between ratings unless your talking about speed. But even then is 95 that much difference than 99? Its negligible. At least with traits you get a clear idea about how that player performs or how this player compares to that player while highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of all players. I think it would force you to game plan and have different strategist vs different opponents. Is Russel really just a scrambling version of Peyton Manning? Madden would have you think so since they play almost identically and you don't have to change or adjust your play calling all that much between the two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »