Home

Lack/Absence of holding penalties really is a huge issue

This is a discussion on Lack/Absence of holding penalties really is a huge issue within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Lack/Absence of holding penalties really is a huge issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Actually, it's the tourney crowd they are trying to cater to.

With a ton of money at stake, no one wants the game decided on a DPI or bad snap from center.

It's been suggested many times to have a tourney mode(no penalties, no bad snaps, etcc) and have a sim mode.
Tourney players, online whiners, the end game is still the same. Win at all costs.

The same think happened with fight night and it sent the series to its grave. When fight night champion came out, it was a blast to play even online. there were cuts that could stop fights, 1 punch KO's, etc. You had to be really careful and not just swing away because the fight could end or be turned around with one shot if you didn't defend. The fights were exciting. I played over 100 online matches and was having a blast. I was something like 77-26-2 with 40 KO's. Holy cow, and old guy can beat button mashers by using strategy.

Then came the whining.....I was beating this guy through 5 rounds and he floored me...Its not fair.......I was winning but got a stupid cut......My eyes started swelling for no reason......

So EA caved. they took out the swelling, made it impossible to stop a fight on cuts, removed the 1 punch KO's. All of a sudden the online game was 2 boxers standing in the center of the ring flat footed throwing 200 jabs to the body per round. And people actually played like that. Because its win at all costs. Problem is they screwed the offline gamer who wanted a good boxing experience. Now the game is a coaster.

It sure seems like it would be simple to make all the features work, then just turn them off for tourney mode and online whining mode or single players who don't want sim. Seems lazy on EA's part to ignore the single player who most likely wants a simlike experience reflecting what they see on Sundays.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #34
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

I know it's not holding but I found a way to get some more penalties. It has worked through at least 3 games so far in both Play Now and CFM.

I jacked all my penalty sliders to 100 except facemask (52).

I am getting way more false starts from both the CPU and myself. Basically what I do is force myself to do at least one fake snap per play. My last game I had 7 penalties. 6 False starts and 1 Roughing the Passer. And one of the False Starts was with under a minute left on 3rd & 1 and me leading 30-24 against Seattle. Funny thing was all the false starts were from Herremans and Johnson, so perhaps confidence and awareness has something to do with it. The CPU had 3 penalties but in the game before that they had 6.

Again not holding but it's something and it has been affecting my game.

In my opinion it hasn't seemed to effect the gameplay anymore then what I had it at before. Though on All-Pro I am struggling to get the CPU to run effectively playing as the Eagles, but I couldn't find a sweet spot running with penalties at 50 across the board either.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't put holding at 100 it makes the AI players release their blocks quicker. I was just testing this. Alot more sacks at 100 than default.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #36
MVP

cch99's Arena

It could be based on my mix of sliders then, but I am seeing less sacks than I was before.

It could also could be because of who I am playing. My last 2 games were vs the Cowboys and the Seahawks and I had 2 and 3 sacks respectively.

I am starting to wonder if people aren't giving enough credence to the opponent. Maybe when playing a poor offensive lineman the higher rated defensive guy just beats him too often and too easily which leads to the inflated sack numbers. My biggest sack games I am seeing multiple guys get 3 or 4 sacks and I end up with 9 and 10 sacks.

In fact Connor Barwin has 18 sacks for me through 13 games and had a 5 sack and 4 sack game. The last 2 games he has 0 sacks. I don't know who he is matching up against on Seattle and Dallas but he has done less. On top of that Demeco Ryans is hurt so Barwin has been switching to the inside on some plays probable because of how my depth chart is setup. And Marcus Smith has been replacing him and has 0 sacks.

Just been my experience. I am going to continue to keep this setup and see what happens. I still have the Redskins once more and the Giants again so if I get huge sack numbers I am going to agree with some others and say it's not really a slider related issue at all. I was hoping sliders could subdue it some but they may not be able to.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

I am honing in on some sliders and I am really not seeing the sack issue too much except when the AI gets down near the goalline and tries to pass when I call run blitzes to stop a potential run.

In real life the QB throws a lot of fades with a quick release where only the Receiver has a chance to get it.

In Madden the QB doesn't really have any passing windows down at the goal with everything jammed up and he takes the sack.

I don't think sliders will fix that, its programming.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #38
MVP

cch99's Arena

Yeah I've noticed more sacks down there too. In fact in the Seahawks game I hit Wilson and he fumbled the ball and I took it back 97 yards. Ended up winning that game 30-24.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 15

If Madden called defensive pass interference in the game like it should, it would dramatically change and improve the gameplay for the better.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Back on topic though. It really ruins the game no seeing any holding calls. It's my game, there is a slider for it, I should have holding penalties if I want them.

EA loses all credibility when they have sliders that don't work. Its lazy. In fact, its downright unacceptable to have a product feature that absolutely doesn't work.

Come on EA, fix the holding. Patch it up, only have holding calls if you raise the sliders above 50 this year that way all the online players and others who don't touch sliders won't have to worry about seeing penalties.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »