Home

What Happen to Customization?!?

This is a discussion on What Happen to Customization?!? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

For years it seems like Madden has taken more and more away from it's user with the customization aspect. What is the point of playing a franchise if you can't make the experience your own? There have been many features that other games have implemented that I think could be easy fixes or transitions for the madden game that would make it better, such as:

Team Builder If anyone here has played NCAA at all, you probably remember the team builder. It was unique because it gave us the ultimate tool for customization.... our computer. As opposed to toggling through the menu screen of the game, you could login to your ea account and start building what ever team you wanted.

This feature would be great because it would allow us to build classic teams, expansion teams for our CFM, or ever just make the SCLSU Mud Dawgs with Bobby Boucher

Custom Draft Classes
This is something that the NBA 2k franchise has mastered. As opposed to giving you randomly generated players, it allows you to create real draft prospects, so that way your CFM is not watered down by made up players. If most people are like me, they like the idea of having a realistic experience with their cfm, and it is hard to take it serious when the #1 qb in the draft is a guy named Cookie Johnson from Bowling Green.

Give us the ability to create draft classes the same way you would a team builder, and let us share it with the rest of the EA community

Edit Rosters
Once again, this was a feature that madden use to have in CFM, but they took it out for some reason. Allow us to edit our players in the middle of a CFM. If we don't have the ability to create draft classes, at least give us the tools to go in and change the quarterback that the Buccaneers just drafted to Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston.

Relocation
It would be nice to have the ability to have our team move wherever they wanted. I don't like the idea of only getting a few cities, and team names that I can choose from. If it is my CFM, I should have the ability to move the Minnesota Vikings to Omaha Nebraska, or move the Oakland Raiders to Gillette, Wyoming.

Create/ Edit Coaches
With the constant trend of hiring college coaches, and coaches without experience as head coaches, this is a feature that is almost a must. NCAA had it where coordinators would go off and get jobs if the did good enough. Well since assistance are not in Madden, give us the ability to creat and add coaches to the hiring pool at the end of the year.

I don't pay the $60 a year just to have new rosters and play within the guidelines EA gives us. Trust us, let us control what goes on in our game!

Last edited by Toupal; 01-26-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: What Happen to Customization?!?

I actually enjoy the "Apple" approach that Tiburon has taken with the Madden franchise. I like structure, and as long as the structure is fun, it's perfect. It allows me to focus rather than restarting a season because I want to try it a different way. I get more replayability.

Team Builder sounds cool but should be added as DLC so they can profit some more on the product.

Custom classes are not needed because they have storylines built in. They just need to make the storylines more dynamic and authentic.

Editing rosters should be allowed in CFM for everything except for ratings. There are reasons why players are rated a certain way.

Relocation was perfect this year. Better uniforms and being able to hear your team named said by announcers is cool. If they left it wide open, we wouldn't get to hear the commentary to match.

The way I look at it is that I'm paying $60 for a license to play their game. I don't own the game and I don't deserve any input. If I don't like a game, I just don't buy it. I'm not one to spend good money and complain about it. I make it work.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
I actually enjoy the "Apple" approach that Tiburon has taken with the Madden franchise. I like structure, and as long as the structure is fun, it's perfect. It allows me to focus rather than restarting a season because I want to try it a different way. I get more replayability.

Team Builder sounds cool but should be added as DLC so they can profit some more on the product.

Custom classes are not needed because they have storylines built in. They just need to make the storylines more dynamic and authentic.

Editing rosters should be allowed in CFM for everything except for ratings. There are reasons why players are rated a certain way.

Relocation was perfect this year. Better uniforms and being able to hear your team named said by announcers is cool. If they left it wide open, we wouldn't get to hear the commentary to match.

The way I look at it is that I'm paying $60 for a license to play their game. I don't own the game and I don't deserve any input. If I don't like a game, I just don't buy it. I'm not one to spend good money and complain about it. I make it work.
Self control would fix a lot of those problems for you.

If you don't want to use a create a class, then don't.

If you don't want edit players ratings in a franchise, then don't

If you don't want to relocate your team to Charleston, SC, then don't
Old 01-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Rookie

Jaymee the problem is that there are no other NFL games to buy instead. If you want to play a football game, then you have to buy madden whether you like the game or not. It's a lose-lose situation, you either buy a game you don't like to play a sport you do like, or you don't buy the game and don't get to play the sport at all. EA has essentially monopolized NFL Video Gaming, to think that you don't deserve any input and shouldn't voice opposition to the current situation is un-American imo. I don't mean any offense by that statement, i'm just trying to get my point across.

That said..in response to OP..

I agree there should be a team builder, even for online players this would be a win feature for EA to implement and it's a mystery why they haven't included it. I would be ecstatic if I could finally give the Jaguars a Teal Helmet. The uniform they use now is...it's...soo....childish...lol...

I'd like to see MORE story lines. I'm OK with how they are being implemented in the game, there are just too few of them.

Player edit was clearly removed to cater to online leagues. It's too complicated for EA's street bum developers to implement an off button or an offline only function. Don't expect it to ever make a return in any capacity that we would actually be happy with. I've never done it, but from what I understand you can edit any player that is already in the game, minus draft class rookies. Doesn't help much but it's there.

As far as relocation, I wouldn't say "anywhere" that would require quite a bit more work. They'd need to add audio for all those cities, text representations etc etc etc. What they SHOULD do is add every major city, and allow for an option to either be referred to by your state/region or city. Like the Carolina Panthers, donning a name that relates to two different states and the potential fans within them rather than just the city that they play in.
Regardless unless they correct the stadium costs and the team finances in owner mode it's irrelevant. You can't afford to relocate in Madden 15, there is just no way to afford it for more than a couple of seasons without cheating and changing owners every season or 2.

Last edited by Unforeseenx; 01-26-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Well, since there's obvious issues with regression (for instance), having the ability to override mistakes of that nature with attribute edits within CCM would be much appreciated by many...myself included...

I'd also like to return to the "three sliders per subcategory", which prob would have nipped the lingering sack issue in the bud...

There's also nothing wrong (IMHO) to returning the (working version of) Coach Philosophy sliders, so one can alter run / pass splits and HB1 / HB2 carries more realistically than the AI and / or sim engine currently do...

I don't want anything "new", just return the (working versions of) options that existed in former iterations...

That way, one can CHOOSE which options they prefer to use or...not?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I'm with King on editing.

MLBTS, for all its excellence, has some progression/regression issues and some wonky generated rookie looks, just like Madden.

The difference is that in MLBTS you can edit ALL OF THAT. Appearances, equipment, ratings any time, you can edit it.

To me, the lack of full editing is a sign of a general lack of command over the game and its coding by Tiburon. I honestly think they won't let us edit stuff because they have no clue how many things editing will break in the process and no clue how to fix whatever might go wrong while editing.

I know that's cynical, but otherwise, it's hard to explain why one game can offer so much in the way of customization and another game with ample resources offers so little.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
Banned

7County's Arena

Quote:

Do you use dip for those lead paint chips you've been eating? What is the point of playing CFM if all you can do is play a game week after week, and scout the same made up players week after week? BORING!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I'm with King on editing.

MLBTS, for all its excellence, has some progression/regression issues and some wonky generated rookie looks, just like Madden.

The difference is that in MLBTS you can edit ALL OF THAT. Appearances, equipment, ratings any time, you can edit it.

To me, the lack of full editing is a sign of a general lack of command over the game and its coding by Tiburon. I honestly think they won't let us edit stuff because they have no clue how many things editing will break in the process and no clue how to fix whatever might go wrong while editing.

I know that's cynical, but otherwise, it's hard to explain why one game can offer so much in the way of customization and another game with ample resources offers so little.

Agree with this and King 110%..there is no body/appearance editing cause of issues with it..several Madden's ago we complained about it and it was included in a patch..what happened? Cause more issues (ie large arms, big shoulder pads, etc)..there answer to fixing that problem was just turn it off no issues..insist of figuring out the underlining issue...I believed they tried to find the issue but too much old code (even in "new" engine) left us with this..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621

Last edited by StefJoeHalt; 01-29-2015 at 12:59 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »