Home

Madden 16 vs MLB The Show 15

This is a discussion on Madden 16 vs MLB The Show 15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Madden 16 vs MLB The Show 15

EA Sports made 1 billion dollars off of Ultimate Team last year. Ultimate Team prints money. So it is just not Madden that is suffering, NBA Live, FIFA, NHL and even NCAA Football core game play suffered because so much attention is spent on Ultimate Team.

If EA Sports put just as much effort into the core game play and franchise mode of their sports games as they do Ultimate Team, their sports games would be way much better. But instead we get this snail pace progress. It is like EA Sports mindset is the following:

1. Make sure online is working.
2. Focus on Ultimate Team and get all the packs in order.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
3. Work on game play.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
4. Work on dynasty/CFM modes
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
5. Work on slide.........screw it, who needs sliders ? We will just copy and paste the same code from 10 years ago, they will never know the difference.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
The biggest difference is, imo, that Madden focuses more on MUT because those type modes/gamers are more conducive/forgiving of the games fundamental shortcomings. The Show and other top sports sims can provide both Ultimate team style modes and a core simulation experience, unlike Madden. For Madden to be capable of that would require a complete recreation of it from scratch, which of course ain't happening due to EA's cost benefit analysis.
I agree, and implied to as much when I said "I'm in no way saying that The Show isn't more sim-oriented than Madden."

He set the goal posts at "Nothing about a side gimmick" - with no other qualifiers. He doesn't get to shift the discussion when it's pointed out that The Show does have their own side gimmick.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Every company is gonna try to have some features or "gimmicks" that appeal to a mass audience, that's just how it goes. The difference with Madden and those games is at least those games can look the part and be tweaked to appease our small fan base over here. Madden's "sim" efforts are minimal, poorly executed and sometimes forgotten(broadcast cam improvements, qb sig styles, true step anyone? I'm sure we could all go on...).

Madden could throw all the gimmicks in the world in this game if they provided a solid, believable experience.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
EA Sports made 1 billion dollars off of Ultimate Team last year. Ultimate Team prints money. So it is just not Madden that is suffering, NBA Live, FIFA, NHL and even NCAA Football core game play suffered because so much attention is spent on Ultimate Team.

If EA Sports put just as much effort into the core game play and franchise mode of their sports games as they do Ultimate Team, their sports games would be way much better. But instead we get this snail pace progress. It is like EA Sports mindset is the following:....
I agree with this in general yet I think it oversimplifies the situation and leads people to question the talent, passion, etc of those directly working on the game. I don't think if anyone worked on this game and spent 10x more resources on the core game play versus MUT it would make the core game substantially any better than it is now.

The core game play of MUT is generally the same as every other mode, it's just that those who play that mode get their enjoyment from the premise of the mode itself and/or can accept the games shortcomings as a whole. IMO those shortcomings stem from core coding not capable of creating a simulation game play experience like other top sports sims do.

Just look at the pile of seeming evidence of EA putting resources into more staff, talent from other studios/sports sims, a completely redone Franchise (CFM), physics/other new "engines", etc, yet none of that investment has translated into a core game play experience of that provided in other tops sports sims.

EA seems to have and can continue to throw all the resources they want at modifying Madden but unless they actually recreate it from scratch, it will continue to be what it is.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
EA seems to have and can continue to throw all the resources they want at modifying Madden but unless they actually recreate it from scratch, it will continue to be what it is.
To me, this is the real issue. The core of MLBTS is good. MLB 2K had it on MLBTS in terms of their pitching interface and real-time scenes vs. cut-scenes, but MLBTS on the whole does a pretty good job of replicating the core elements of baseball.

With Madden, it's a huge mess of old code and new code that nobody understands--hence the tons of crazy sounding theories in the slider section about un-intended/surprising relationships between the game's various settings options and gameplay.

For Madden to really be great, they need to scrap the whole thing and start over, which is never going to happen.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step2001
Just one thing mentioned?
Yet in the Madden 15 intro Cam Newton is suggesting we try two of Madden popular modes 1st MUT, 2nd CFM!

CFM is THE most popular Mode.....EA focused too much on MUT and it's affecting the cycle and how much get's done with core gameplay (my opinion). Any recent updates add-ons were all MUT focused.

MUT and any mode like it when it comes to any game is a gimmick.

I stand by what I said..........................
Sadly, EA will always put MUT of CFM because they can constantly make money off of MUT. I don't think EA will really put that much effort into CFM, until they can find a way to charge us real money for scouting and free agents.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Pro

Gilley's Arena

OVR: 5

Graphically, Madden just doesn't compare to MLB The Show, in my opinion. The Show isn't perfect by any means, for example, many of the body types are a little wonky, but I still think it looks better than the cartoonish vibe of Madden, and I'm not completely sure what causes the cartoonish look in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #16
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

This isn't allowed here. Want to talk Madden this is the place. Want to talk MLB 16 there is a forum for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »