Home

The art of the (in stride) long ball.

This is a discussion on The art of the (in stride) long ball. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The art of the (in stride) long ball.

here are a couple of outside deep balls. at the 4:40 mark and around 5:16 mark. It's not easy to do all the time but, it's not easy in real life either. I had Romo at the time and his THP was 89 or 90 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDbtuUDYVI
Old 05-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
here are a couple of outside deep balls. at the 4:40 mark and around 5:16 mark. It's not easy to do all the time but, it's not easy in real life either. I had Romo at the time and his THP was 89 or 90 I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDbtuUDYVI
I'm not talking about against cover 0 which is what that first one is and the 2nd one looks like 2 deep zone which is a given that you should be able to complete it. What I'm referring to is this game has coverages that people just like to sit back in and as a result they don't have to game plan for specific offensive players.

Cover 0 is the worse coverage in this game, but in the old days people would sit in that all game. But now I don't see people run it unless they are DT nano players. I want a game that makes you game plan for specific players, whether they be offense or defense. This game doesn't have that. I would also like to be able to run cover 0 and know that I'm going to get home without DT nano.

Ideally against cover 0, the offense should have to check down to the hot read, not be able to stand there in the pocket and wait for a man to get open down the field. Anyways, back to deep passing. I still think it is not implemented very well in this game. Every piece that you've shown me has to do with a coverage where you are either going to get the throw, or someone made a mistake. That's not every deep pass in real life. Sometimes a guy just catches it even when he's covered, but that rarely ever happens in this game. And notice on the clips that you showed, it's not like the DB is close to the WR. I'm talking about the DB actually being close but you still hit the WR in stride putting the pass where only the WR can get it.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 0

Really wish I saw this earlier. I literally just completed a pass like that in my last game.

If you want to hit your WR in stride your best bet is to step into the throw and manually turn into the WR. If you let the computer try to catch it they usually will not turbo at the right time and it'll be over thrown.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 2

The deep pass isn't an issue to me. I've had a good amount of success with it on All-Madden default sliders. My QB still overthrows the WR sometimes, but I'd say I hit them in stride more often than, underthrows or INT's.

The one thing that still bugs me is when the CPU is in Cover 2 and the DB playing near the line of scrimmage Picks off a pass being thrown 15+ yards downfield.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #21
Rookie

With All-Madden default sliders, I can complete the long ball all day, regardless of who I'm using. However, I also have a tendency to user-control the receiver. I can have ppl from OBJ and Megatron rack up yards, to even computer generated rookies (who aren't all that fast). If i try, I can usually get 400-600 receiving yards on the long ball, to only 2-3 INT (i hate INT, so i dont usually do this, but its nice to be able to do, especially near half time to score in less than 10 seconds)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

So played a game in my franchise with this in mind. Two times in against Logan Ryan in Cover 3 my 6'5 96 spd and Blake Bortles displayed the art of the deep ball.

Once at my own 4 yard line, he beat a quick press, caught the ball at the 50, and was dancing by the 30 yard line.

The other was at my 40 against off coverage, my WR glided past Ryan at about the 50, made significant separation by the by the other 40, and caught the ball at about the 10 in a lunging effort that left him in the endzone.

The deep ball is alive.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #23
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18

The biggest problem with the deep ball to me in M15 was that they were almost always under thrown. Part of that is timing and not being good enough at knowing when to throw vs job chucking it deep like in previous versions. However, even when you got it off early with a receiver out to a lead it was often under thrown. Precision Passing made it worse IMO.

I'm kind of worried that they are going to make the WR/DB interaction too cheesy. Look at the DL last year. You could dominate as a powerful DT. It was over done and we had to limit its use in our online league. I hope this doesn't bring back the rocket catch or make it easy for guys to just chuck up balls into coverage and bail themselves out.

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 05-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95
The biggest problem with the deep ball to me in M15 was that they were almost always under thrown. Part of that is timing and not being good enough at knowing when to throw vs job chucking it deep like in previous versions. However, even when you got it off early with a receiver out to a lead it was often under thrown. Precision Passing made it worse IMO.

I'm kind of worried that they are going to make the WR/DB interaction too cheesy. Look at the DL last year. You could dominate as a powerful DT. It was over done and we had to limit its use in our online league. I hope this doesn't bring back the rocket catch or make it easy for guys to just chuck up balls into coverage and bail themselves out.
This definitely is worrisome. But yeah, I think they finally got the deep ball as close to right as they are going to get it in Madden 15. It can be improved, but not by making it easier.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »