Home

My idea for a realistic passing mechanic

This is a discussion on My idea for a realistic passing mechanic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: My idea for a realistic passing mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbj273
I'd like to see something where you have to go through reads. Set your primary read pre snap at the line of scrimmage, and have to cycle through your reads using the left and right triggers. Better quarterbacks could cycle through reads faster than worse qbs. Using Peyton for instance you could cycle from one receiver to the last one very quickly, where as Hoyer there would be a slight delay in between changing reads to simulate the slower decision making. Now you could throw to any receiver at any time, but the further they are from the read your qb is on, the greater the chance of an inaccurate pass.
I've mentioned this so many times on this board. It's simple, realistic, and maybe most importantly it gives awareness an actual tangible effect on the game.

I don't think a QB should be able to throw to a WR he's not looking at. It almost never happens IRL anyways. Again Madden can create a game in of itself pre snap. Trying to select which WR should be open based on what the defense is showing. Now the smarter QB's can look defenses off while the less intelligent/inexperience QB are more likely to stare down WR's because they can't find their secondary reads as quickly.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-21-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #10
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I've mentioned this so many times on this board. It's simple, realistic, and maybe most importantly it gives awareness an actual tangible effect on the game.

I don't think a QB should be able to throw to a WR he's not looking at. It almost never happens IRL anyways. Again Madden can create a game in of itself pre snap. Trying to select which WR should be open based on what the defense is showing. Now the smarter QB's can look defenses off while the less intelligent/inexperience QB are more likely to stare down WR's because they can't find their secondary reads as quickly.
Backbreaker had a similar system where you picked a receiver to look at pre-snap, and then cycle between receivers during the play. It was the worst thing about that game. You'd be reading a TE on the post, realize that everyone was covered, try to check down to your RB in the flat as a safety valve, and get sacked while you were trying to cycle through three receivers before being able to select the RB.

QBs, at least the good ones, have an idea where they're going, but they don't get tunnel vision on one receiver. They read the defense and then make a split second decision on where to go with the ball. A complicated system of moving crosshairs and cycling between receivers slows down your ability to make split second decisions. It also makes it hard to work your 3rd, 4th, and 5th reads on the backside of the field.

Now, I wouldn't mind something where you could select a primary receiver pre-snap and receive a slight accuracy boost if you go to him on the play. This would give people who make the correct reads pre-snap a slight leg up on their opponents. I question whether EA could balance something like this and not turn it into an exploit though.

The thing I really wish they would add is a "square up" system for QBs. Basically, the need to square up the QB to the throw in order to throw an accurate pass. So, say you're on the right side of the field, and you're throwing an out route to the left side. You drop back like normal, but once you're about to throw, you'd flick the L-stick diagonally up and to the left. This would stop the QBs drop back, and set his feet to throw to the left side of the field. Throwing to an area of the field where you haven't "squared up" to would still be possible, but you'd be throwing against your body and suffer an accuracy drop.

No extra mechanics, still have the ability to throw to any receiver at any given time, doesn't require taking your thumbs off either the L-stick or the buttons, but would give users who anticipate their throws a leg up of the competition. Not to mention, you could "look off" other users by squaring up to one side of the field, and then quickly resetting your feet and throwing to the backside. Again, all with the left stick.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Backbreaker had a similar system where you picked a receiver to look at pre-snap, and then cycle between receivers during the play. It was the worst thing about that game. You'd be reading a TE on the post, realize that everyone was covered, try to check down to your RB in the flat as a safety valve, and get sacked while you were trying to cycle through three receivers before being able to select the RB.

QBs, at least the good ones, have an idea where they're going, but they don't get tunnel vision on one receiver. They read the defense and then make a split second decision on where to go with the ball. A complicated system of moving crosshairs and cycling between receivers slows down your ability to make split second decisions. It also makes it hard to work your 3rd, 4th, and 5th reads on the backside of the field.

Now, I wouldn't mind something where you could select a primary receiver pre-snap and receive a slight accuracy boost if you go to him on the play. This would give people who make the correct reads pre-snap a slight leg up on their opponents. I question whether EA could balance something like this and not turn it into an exploit though.

The thing I really wish they would add is a "square up" system for QBs. Basically, the need to square up the QB to the throw in order to throw an accurate pass. So, say you're on the right side of the field, and you're throwing an out route to the left side. You drop back like normal, but once you're about to throw, you'd flick the L-stick diagonally up and to the left. This would stop the QBs drop back, and set his feet to throw to the left side of the field. Throwing to an area of the field where you haven't "squared up" to would still be possible, but you'd be throwing against your body and suffer an accuracy drop.

No extra mechanics, still have the ability to throw to any receiver at any given time, doesn't require taking your thumbs off either the L-stick or the buttons, but would give users who anticipate their throws a leg up of the competition. Not to mention, you could "look off" other users by squaring up to one side of the field, and then quickly resetting your feet and throwing to the backside. Again, all with the left stick.
A flaw doesn't mean scrap the whole system. IMO this is what has hurt Madden over the years. They can easily added an safety vavle option where you can immediately check down to a player if your QB is in trouble. Again that's what happens IRL.

Passing has become way to stale in the game. Every QB throws like Aaron Rodgers and process info like Andrew Luck. The game needs a major shake up in what has become the most important aspect of football due to the rule changes over the past 20years. Being a QB should be difficult.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-21-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

The vision cone needs to come back. It was a great idea.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
A flaw doesn't mean scrap the whole system. IMO this is what has hurt Madden over the years. They can easily added an safety vavle option where you can immediately check down to a player if your QB is in trouble. Again that's what happens IRL.

Passing has become way to stale in the game. Every QB throws like Aaron Rodgers and process info like Andrew Luck. The game needs a major shake up in what has become the most important aspect of football due to the rule changes over the past 20years. Being a QB should be difficult.
I'd like to see more inaccurate throws, and QBs playing more to their ratings. As you said, most of the QBs in the game feel interchangeable. But I disagree that scrapping the icon passing system is the way to go. I outlined my "square up" idea. I could also see a "snap to" system working. This is basically what the vision cone was. You could move it with the R-stick, or you could hold L2 + press the receiver's icon to snap the cone to that receiver. Snapping to a receiver would be much more preferable to me than cycling through them one-by-one. It adds an extra button press to the process, and slows you down just a bit (which can be trouble when dealing with a rush), but it could also be argued that it simulates the delay QBs have in real life when they have to set their feet for the throw. So I'd be open to it.

But again, it's all still based on an icon passing system.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
Rookie

The vision cone did have a snap to function. Most people couldn't deal with that anyway and here we are today..all that's missing are the windows at the top screen showing receivers downfield like madden 93. I enjoyed the vision cone. It separated good user qbs from bad ones. Plus in user vs user games when you stare down one receiver and switch to another killed those who liked to ball hawk
Old 05-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:

I agree with this.
Using Xbox controls (easier to type than PS shapes):
-lb, rb, x, y, b are your receivers.
-tap the button of the receiver you want to look at.
-press A to throw.
-use left stick to fine tune the location for throw.
-better qbs can find their receivers quicker. Less aware QB's can find any receiver since they know the play, but it takes them a split second longer to find them.
-adding to that, last year confidence would drop for signed players based on "playbook knowledge". Have a rating for it, the better they know the playbook, the quicker they can find receivers (at least on more complex route combinations.)
-receiver icons can be seen, but have a transparent back color or fill color. becomes solid when is "found" by the qb. If you press A before it is fully solid, it will be a pretty off the mark throw. If solid, it will be accurate based on ratings. fine tuning the aiming with the left stick has more of a chance to be where you want, less overthrows, etc.
-right stick to evade.
-RT to scramble
-LT + Right stick to pump fake desired direction
-LT + X to throw away left
-LT + B to throw away right
-LT + Y to throw away over the top (back of the endzone)
-LT + A + left stick to throw "away" left/right/high/low of the currently looked at receiver.

Complex, but could give all the control needed while still differentiating QB's without avoiding awareness in user control.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2015, 05:41 PM   #16
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I had posted this years ago but I still think that it would be the best of both worlds, passing and awareness for QB's.

An idea to make Awareness matter in Madden considering EA already uses this to a certain extent (just give us the OPTION to turn it off). In Madden playing as a rookie or a seasoned veteran plays the same for the user. There is no penalty for the user playing with a rookie. I think that a good (and fairly simple) way for EA to somewhat mimic the struggles of playing with a rookie in Madden would be to have the "?" marks that pop up in place of your receiver icon in NCAA when your QB is rattled; do the same in Madden if the player you are controlling has low awareness and is under pressure. So if your playing with a rook and you have a great offensive line and never get touched everything plays out the way it does in Madden now. The QB is only limited by his physical ability. But if (or as) the pocket breaks down the kid should get “rattled”.

Outside of the 2 primary receivers and the HB I wouldn’t mind having the 3rd, 4th, and 5th options (check-downs) have the “?” mark above there heads. And depending on the AWR of the QB (say low 60s) have the accuracy slightly affected as well. So if you really know your team you can still run an effective offense but have to take the necessary precautions a real coach probably would with an inexperienced QB to minimize turnovers. It would also add value to Franchise mode. Maybe they could have it so that the biggest AWR jump for QBs happen during their 3rd season. So now if your Franchise QB is out there as a rookie behind a crappy line he’s (you) are more likely to make those “rookie mistakes”. Maybe once the AWR is above 80 all of the receiver icons stay onscreen, regardless of the pressure but the QB can be “rattled” in big games (Rivalry, Playoffs, Super Bowl). And 90 is reserved for the clutch big game Qbs (Manning, Brees, Brady). This would actually make addressing the Offensive Line mean something to have any hope of having a successful season, just like the NFL. Thoughts…

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »