Home

IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking?

This is a discussion on IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:49 AM   #65
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Re: IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I'm just interested to hear you guys' thoughts on this, I'm seeing a lot of disappointment surrounding CFM this year on here and I'm just wondering if the gameplay is good enough, will it be enough to keep your attention? There's also the presentation, which hasn't been spoken about much, but it's an important piece too.
At this point, if I am being honest I don't know. Gameplay is always number 1 for me, as it makes playing in a CFM more enjoyable. But I just don't know because, gameplay has never been "good enough" (Madden 05 was close and Madden 10 player movements were nice). I'm in the skipping this Madden and if gameplay is great not good enough that may convince me the watering down of CFMs depth is worth tyring to play through it...

But judgeing by the track record of this dev team any new gameplay mechanic that is released is always a year from being the way it should. The new DL controls brought back the old proble of DTs being super human (how many leagues either had Suh type guys with 30-40+ sacks in a season or banned user control of the DT). Or like QB inaccuracies are so toned back from what the Game CHangers played becuase the H2H Online and MUT Online crowd complained about the lack of control?

Point being I guess is Madden no longer gets my money sight unseen, they have burned through all that credibility, I am now needing to see it in action and see the depth of the game before I give them my money.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 AM   #66
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: IF the gameplay is good enough, can it make up for what CFM appears to be lacking

Gameplay (while lacking) hasn't been what bought or sold me with Madden, it was it's lack of immersion (specifically within CFM). The only thing that might make me look this direction with an intent to buy is if presentation takes next-gen steps forward. I'm talking weekly wrap show, draft blowout,etc.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 19

The problem with the question is that Madden's interpretation of football machanics is derived through their ratings system, and that system is driven by "one" guy and what he "feels" and often times far, far away from any sound football logic.

You can sit and talk to as many people as you want to, but it's a fact that Donny struggles to understand basic football concepts and their implementation with in the ratings system that he's in control of.

If you're into a sport, it will bother you when you see things happening that are not in line with that sport.

Maybe that's the problem, maybe it's just having a cool job with a game developer because to continually release player ratings in the same manner when you have at your fingertips the ability to correct or at least alleviate some of the horrible gameplay machanics, just makes me think it's just about having a job.

The horrible regression/negative confidence problem proved that in spite of all their excuses given, gamers having the ability to edit ratings inside of CFM would not cause stability problems to the mode.

Had an OL drop from a 75 OVR to 57 OVR in two years.
The game AI doesn't even play players rated that low, yet they programmed confidence to adjust ratings to such a level with no issues to CFM.

So why can't we have rating editing ability to customize our experience to our liking?

Simply giving this option would bring more excitement than anything that they're currently/soon to market.

All I know is that someone had to sit in the meeting and push back about giving ratings editing ability in CFM to gamers.
Wonder who?

Outside of some gear, there is "NO" customization in CFM to help drive the mode.

It's a fact that the community can improve the gameplay a 100 fold when allowed to edit the ratings that drive animations/gameplay.

Lastly, gameplay runs into a stalemate due to all ratings being so congested at the top end of the 0-99 scale.
There is no such thing as a "Bad" player because the AI is programmed to not use/play players below Donny's high thresholds.
And since we don't have the ability to correct that ourselves, gameplay will quickly hit a wall due to any given starting off/def 11 being rated in a congested manner.

Simpy changing/adjusting the weights that trigger animations (most of these animations are already in the game, it's the triggering thresholds and the way Donny rates players so high) doesn't mean gameplay is improved.

Especially when basic concepts/fundamentals will still be absent because "simulation" is not the focus or end game for M16.

Hopefully I'm/we're proven wrong!!!
Would be nice for a change and long overdue!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #68
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

I spent about 75% of the time actually playing games, so gameplay is the most important to me. I had fun wth CFM last year, obviously would love it to be a lot more sim, but it's not and honestly I stopped expecting it to be a long time ago. I can have fun with CFM again this year.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 1

I guess, as long as CFM improvements would be promised in subsequent years. The gameplay can be as good as it gets, but if the games don't mean anything to me I just can't get into it. Also, I think the CFM AI influences gameplay quite a bit. When you are in your 5th year into your CFM and the AI is trotting out a 70 ranked QB behind an offensive line ranked in the 60's, well that will definitely affect gameplay for the worse.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 4

Gameplay will likley not be good as long as they keep using this engine they are using. No gang tackling, warping, suction, rbs running with the ball behind their back, odd physics.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 0

Yes, because I refuse to play CFM until training camp is back. But I highly doubt gameplay will be good enough.

Last edited by Mr.Smif; 06-12-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 1

You could have the perfect game in terms of gameplay and if you don't have formation subs you still have a crappy football game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »