Home

Sports Gamer Online Interview with Kolbe Part 2, Kolbe reveals another late addition

This is a discussion on Sports Gamer Online Interview with Kolbe Part 2, Kolbe reveals another late addition within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #73
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sports Gamer Online Interview with Kolbe Part 2, Kolbe reveals another late addit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
That's absolutely not true. There is muscle memory involved in practicing for a new technique that is part of a players ability. They just retooled Tolzien's footwork and throwing mechanics to improve his accuracy. Isn't that an ability? Tolzien didn't already have that footwork and throwing technique. Even Rodger's retooled his throwing technique to help become the QB he is today.

I could not disagree with you more on this.
QB throwing technique and footwork is a lot different than blocking; obviously Tolzien didn't have the proper abilities for his position to begin with; it is one thing to have skills and then get moved, it is another to not have the skills to begin with and have to be taught ...

QB is a very specialized position here....Just like a punter or kicker position cannot be filled by just anyone...These are the exceptions..

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 07-04-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #74
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Sports Gamer Online Interview with Kolbe Part 2, Kolbe reveals another late addit

Quote:
But the way you are addressing this, the scouts reevaluation ends up being the players new ability. That just does not make any sense. The players abilities doesn't change because a scout reevaluates them. The scouts evaluation changes because the players abilities at the new position changes.

You have abilities chasing performance. That's backwards. Performance should chase abilities.
I think you are confusing how it is done in real life with how it can be addressed in the video game.

In real life, after a position change, the scouts will not change the grade of the individual attributes for the player at the time of the move. The only thing that would change is the title of his position and his overall grade (due to the different formula being used to calculate his overall grade as a LT instead of a RG for instance).

Then, once they get tape on the guy, they evaluate him at the new position. If he does worse pass blocking as a LT versus how he did as a RG, then the scouts will say that there is enough evidence to show that his PBK grade of 1.9 needs to be modified to a 1.8 or whatever they see fit to illustrate what they see on the tape numerically. So his worsened PERFORMANCE led to the changing of the grade only after he demonstrated that his ability to pass block as a LT was not worth as high of a grade as he was given while pass blocking as a RG.

Scouting is always more REACTIVE than PROACTIVE. They don't change their grades unless they have valid and substantial evidence to change it, but only after that evidence is found.

What you are suggesting, if I am reading your comments correctly, is that the decrease should occur at the time of the position change. That is flawed in my opinion because at the time of the change, you are adjusting his abilities BEFORE he gets a chance to prove that they even needed a change. What if that same RG who moved to LT actually blocked BETTER as a LT than as a RG? In your scenario he would suffer punishment to his PBK grade just because of the position change instead on being allowed to prove his own ability first. THAT is backwards.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #75
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
QB throwing technique and footwork is a lot different than blocking; obviously Tolzien didn't have the proper abilities for his position to begin with; it is one thing to have skills and then get moved, it is another to not have the skills to begin with and have to be taught ...

QB is a very specialized position here....Just like a punter or kicker position cannot be filled by just anyone...These are the exceptions..
Same concept for blocking. Footwork and hand technique are different for the different OLine positions. The footwork and hand technique needs to be taught for a different OLine position. Sorry, but I sincerely think that what you are saying is just flat out wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I think you are confusing how it is done in real life with how it can be addressed in the video game.

In real life, after a position change, the scouts will not change the grade of the individual attributes for the player at the time of the move. The only thing that would change is the title of his position and his overall grade (due to the different formula being used to calculate his overall grade as a LT instead of a RG for instance).

Then, once they get tape on the guy, they evaluate him at the new position. If he does worse pass blocking as a LT versus how he did as a RG, then the scouts will say that there is enough evidence to show that his PBK grade of 1.9 needs to be modified to a 1.8 or whatever they see fit to illustrate what they see on the tape numerically. So his worsened PERFORMANCE led to the changing of the grade only after he demonstrated that his ability to pass block as a LT was not worth as high of a grade as he was given while pass blocking as a RG.

Scouting is always more REACTIVE than PROACTIVE. They don't change their grades unless they have valid and substantial evidence to change it, but only after that evidence is found.

What you are suggesting, if I am reading your comments correctly, is that the decrease should occur at the time of the position change. That is flawed in my opinion because at the time of the change, you are adjusting his abilities BEFORE he gets a chance to prove that they even needed a change. What if that same RG who moved to LT actually blocked BETTER as a LT than as a RG? In your scenario he would suffer punishment to his PBK grade just because of the position change instead on being allowed to prove his own ability first. THAT is backwards.

I say the decrease should occur at the time of the position change, because the game has only one blocking technique rating. I would by your view if each position had it's own rating.

Last edited by bucky60; 07-04-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #77
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I say the decrease should occur at the time of the position change, because the game has only one blocking technique rating. I would by your view if each position had it's own rating.
What if that same RG who moved to LT actually blocked BETTER as a LT than as a RG?

Can you answer this question?
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #78
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Constructive criticism is saying you would like certain penalties to still apply. Complaining is saying oh they just care about the online CFM and the direction they are going isn't what I am wanting. Adding bonus features has NOTHING to do with the direction they are going. I think personally the direction they are going is going to make a lot of OS people happy, but that's going to be up to you guys to decide once you find out more about it.
It's a thread about the video you posted. I posted my thoughts and opinions based on what I listened to in the video. Isn't that what these threads are for? I never said they JUST care about online CFM and I also said that I was all for anything being added that benefits any mode despite the fact that I may or may not use it so I'm confused as to how you're getting complaining out of an opinion. You're right adding "bonus" features has nothing to do with the direction they are going but what they choose to add has absolutely everything to the with the potential direction they might be headed and I formed an opinion based on that as well as previous information. If that's complaining then anyone can feel free to delete my posts. Everyone have a great Fourth!
Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
What if that same RG who moved to LT actually blocked BETTER as a LT than as a RG?

Can you answer this question?
Technique isn't the only attribute of an OLineman. I would say their physical skills were better suited for LT than RG. But they still have to practice the technique skills a the new position to improve.

What the game needs is some kind of technique/awareness ratings modifier for each position (similar to many baseball video games) or different ratings values for each position. Madden not only represents this poorly, it doesn't represent this at all.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #80
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Same concept for blocking. Footwork and hand technique are different for the different OLine positions. The footwork and hand technique needs to be taught for a different OLine position. Sorry, but I sincerely think that what you are saying is just flat out wrong.
It is not that hard to change positions across a similar path - such as OL or DL...

Hand technique and footwork is not that different between OL positions...I think you believe there is some great difficulty in blocking, but it isn't that difficult if the player already has the ability and physical attributes..

A player has to practice any position they play, and they do it in training camp and during the season between games...It is not like someone learns a position and they stop learning or practicing..

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 07-04-2015 at 03:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »