Home

Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control

This is a discussion on Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #9
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control

Thank you for the great replies and the great question. I am actually in the middle of working on Part !!, the offensive side of the ball, running against 8 in the box.

Part of run defense is also built into the quality of your players. If your defense doesn't have linemen and line backers with a high block shedding rating, then once the offense gets a hat on a hat, you're toast.

As a user, there are two different things that I like to do: 1) control a DT and bull rush like there is no tomorrow, or 2) What I used to do for years was user control the Will (Jack in a 3-4) and fill flow correctly.

I think it was Madden 03, but it might have been 04 that introduced the "mini camp" trainer. There were a ton of good drills, and one of them was stopping the run. Filling in gaps, plugging the FB, flowing but not over pursuing and so forth. i have logged hours upon hours in those drills over the years on the nintendo Game Cube and original Xbox. I don't have Madden 15, but Madden 25 doesn't have anything that can compare to that.

What was a ton of fun was playing them against a friend, and my best friend and I are very competitive. We would train against each other and compete to get better almost as often as we would play games.

What I suggest is that, if you have a friend you can play with in real life on the same screen, is run play after play after play against each other and get good on the sticks to the point that you aren't thinking. You are just reacting. Like with anything, it takes practice.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:21 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control

I always strive to have gap control in game, but it is often hard to do due to the AI's horrendous pre-snap alignment, and the fact that when you move a player, they move right back if you switch off of them. It's something that had dreadfully plagued next-gen football. Idk why. I feel like it's a simple fix.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »