Home

Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control

This is a discussion on Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control

As Madden 16 fast approaches, I would like to start writing threads to help players improve their simulation experience in Madden the best they can despite the game's flaws. These threads are not going to be a tutorial on how to take the most advantage of the AI or the game play. I simply want to share with you information from real NFL coaches and teams, and then how to apply that to Madden. I have a variety of NFL playbooks and presentations given by NFL coaches which I will be referencing.

NOTE: I play with custom All-Madden difficulty settings.
============================================

In this installment, I will be talking about gap control and stopping the run. First we will be taking a look from a presentation given by Monte Kiffin in the early 1991 while he was the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings:

Spoiler

Now let us take a look at this in game:
Spoiler

Well, that doesn't look the same as the art above... because it is a flipped play by the computer. Let us change that in MS Paint and add some color to it, shall we? The orange lines show the gap control assignments for the zone defenders.
Spoiler

That looks better, doesn't it? Okay, now with the color and the idea clear in our heads, let us flip the play back to it's original orientation.
Spoiler

Now, before we continue, I would like to take a look at what Bill Belichick wrote in his 1984 NY Giants 3-4 playbook about how to attack a double team. This will relate back directly to the video I am going to share soon.
Spoiler

With that out of the way, let us take a look at this play with video.
Spoiler

There is a lot going on in that play. For starters, I have a base 4-3 defense against a 3WR personnel grouping by the Seahawks. I wouldn't always do that, but I am far more afraid of Lynch running all over me defense than Wilson passing on me.

Next, we see accurate play by the two defensive tackles against the double team. They do not have a "super win" animation (splitting the double team), nor do they lose the block. It is simply a normal "win" animation as they anchor and fight, preventing the peel man from getting to the LB in time. Even though they didn't make the tackle, they made this play work for the defense. What they did doesn't go into the stat books, but is vital to the success of team defense. This is the kind of thing to look for when evaluating the success of your defensive linemen when it comes time to resign players. Compare that to Jarred Allen who gets blown off the line for about 3 yards.

Another thing to notice is how the OLB #59 goes for an inside release of his block. This is a mistake by the AI, but I don't feel this is poor programing. You could easily blame this on the pursuit rating (if we want to make a story-telling excuse). Honestly, there isn't any gap control that I am aware of in the game and it is just doing the best it can based on the limited programing, but despite that, you can see the pursuit by the MLB and Will actually flow as they are supposed to. The Will even fills inside instead of over pursuing over the top to prevent a cut back.

Notice how on the back side, the DE plays contain against the QB to prevent the keeper/naked boot leg in check instead of running down hill at the ball carrier. That is a nice touch.

================================

Let us review:
*We have seen the play art and coaching points from a legendary NFL defensive coach.
*We have seen the play art applied to Madden in a base 4-3 Cover 3 defense.
*We have seen that play develop and work pretty much as intended.

Now let us apply that with live game play.
Spoiler

====================================

Now that we have covered all of this from a 4-3 One-Gap defense, you might be saying "Yeah, that's great and all, but I like to play the 3-4," or that your favorite team uses the 3-4 defense and, "How does this apply to me?" Well, I have not seen Madden use two-gap defense in all my time playing. That doesn't mean the 3-4 defense is useless, though I have not seen true 3-4 defense in the game thus far. What are we to do? Don't worry, we can still apply the same concepts to our 3-4 personnel. In fact, I think we can do it even better than 4-3 teams can.

A 3-4 defensive line is pretty much made up of 3 defensive tackles, with the middle one being a monster Nose Tackle. The two Outside Line backers in the 3-4 are hybrid between pass rushing defensive ends and traditional Line Backers. The Mike&Jack line backers are often a hybrid between traditional Mike and Will linebackers in a 4-3. The are supposed to be great at flowing to the ball, especially against weak runs and cut backs. That means, regardless of the offensive strength, you are always ready to go.

Here is a picture of the same art, applied to the 3-4 defense:
Spoiler

Here are two examples from the 3-4 defense in Madden
Spoiler

===================================

In this final section, I would like to expand on this idea and give you other example plays you can call, and show you how they still apply the same concepts.

You don't just have to sit back and call a bland cover 3 defense all game long. You can Cover 1 man Under and/or blitzes as well. For example:

4-3 Over Sam Crash Left

The CBs still play off like in a cover 3. The deep middle third safety is in a MoFC (Middle of Field Covered) look, the other safety is up in the box. Pre-snap, this looks no different than a Cover3 zone, and can catch offenses off guard. The thing I don't like about man coverage in Madden is the chance of getting burned, epically on All-Madden is too high for my tastes and I tend to favor zone coverages. The linebackers in Madden are terrible in man coverage and often get roasted by TEs. However, that is why I like this play, as the SS is often in one-on-one with the TE rather than a LB.

4-3 Stack SS Snake 3 Stay

As designed, this brings the SS into the box to blitz. be it a run or pass, you have 8 in the box and decent coverage over the top. Also, the use of the Purple Buzz Zones takes away the deep out and deep come back routes which are "money" against a traditional Cover 3 Hard. this is a great play to mix in to your play calls in the second half. Once your opponent thinks they have figured you out, adjusted and gets comfortable passing against your cover 3 hard looks, you throw this twist at them, with pressure and force a sack in their confusion, or even better an interception to the purple buzz zone they though would be "money."

4-3 Stack Sam 3 Firespace space s3-4 Normal Zorro Will Jack 3

Two classic D. LeBeau zone blitzes. The safety still comes up inthe box, and you still have quality Cover 3 over the top, but now you are sending an extra pass rusher. There are variations of these from the Over and Odd fronts of the 4-3 and 3-4.

3-4 Normal FS Zone Blitz

Instead of sending a line backer, the safety in the box is coming after the passer. Gap assignments change here, but he overall logic does not. This is a good play when you see the offense is calling for deep passes against an 8 man box. you will get chewed up with quick throws though.

Again, my whole point in this final section is to prove that you don't have to sit back in a "boring Cover 3" all day long to play run defense. You can still be creative and play the chess match with a live opponent without sacrificing your gap assignments.

============================================

I would like to conclude by thanking you for reading and hopefully replying below. This has taken a lot of time for me to create, and I am doing it to help you. For the OS community. For beginners and veterans alike. Those who know me know that I am no Madden fan boy and that I am often critical of EA. that being said, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game and apply real football tactics to the game. If this is successful, I will do more installments in the coming days as we count down to the launch of Madden 16.

Last edited by PGaither84; 08-05-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Rookie

lowndsy's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Sim-Style Pat I: Gap Control

Excellent and interesting post, thanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

great write up. This is an old-school OS breakdown. love it.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #4
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Good stuff
Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9

Great post and in-depth breakdown!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Any more? My run defense is suffering!

I even call cover 3 sky to bring a safety down.

When I have a safety in the box (8 players in the box) I still have trouble stopping the run. Should I shift my linebackers away from the Safety? Shift my line away from the safety being that I already have help on that side?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

OVR: 0

I want to spam the Internet with this so that the level of strategic play gets better everywhere

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
Rookie

CR3AMnCR1MS0N's Arena

OVR: 7

Oh boy! If you keep this going, I might actually be able to play good, smart defense on Madden

Thanks for posting!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »