Home

User Input (swat/interception) Not Registering.

This is a discussion on User Input (swat/interception) Not Registering. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
Rookie

wundrbread33's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: User Input (swat/interception) Not Registering.

Well first and foremost, I turn that garbage "ball hawk" off, so timing your jump works more consistently instead of "hold Y/Triangle when the ball is in the air and the DB will move their automatically."

"Ball hawk" ruins users that are used to timing their jump as a defender. So IMO turning that off if you haven't already will help some.

I also feel that the game determines if you are able to play the ball, and if it determines that you are not, your player doesn't do anything. He won't swat, jump...nothing.

All I want is when I press the "Y" button, for my player to jump...honestly I do not even care if I am 15 yards from the ball. At least if the game did that, I wouldn't have anyone to blame but myself. When the game ignores my commands, I have to live with the "what if" scenarios.

I have to go back to the original Xbox and PS2 days as the last time the players jumped every time you pressed "Y", and that has lead to frustrating situations.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #10
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13
Icon3 Re: User Input (swat/interception) Not Registering.

I thought I was tripping out when I saw this happening to me. My case is that I'll be playing as the LB (mainly using OLB Anthony Hitchens) and occasionally in zone when the WR/TE is crossing or if I'm in the path of the pass, as I'm anticipating the pass being thrown, with LT being held for strafe...

(Madden 15): I would press Y just as the ball was being thrown and my defender would already have the animation triggered so the pass would be intercepted, or deflected. Here are two examples...

http://xboxclips.com/d11king/b3d24e5...6d808054/embed

http://xboxclips.com/d11king/2c8eecb...1accd249/embed

(Madden 16): I would press Y, with no reaction, but as the ball is over my head I get that 'Play Ball' key, and it's too late by then. I'm not really upset (yet) about the situation. I personally haven't experienced enough of it to say it needs to be fixed, I'm currently chalking it up as mis-times jumps, my defender not looking at the ball (I haven't zoomed in on replays to confirm), jump rating + AWR, or the ball being too high.

There have been instances with the safety where he does react, but thy was on like Hail Mary passes where I beat everyone to the spot and held Y as hard as I could just to make sure I wasn't tripping, but those are super lob passes. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Last edited by d11king; 08-27-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

This is the most frustrating thing about Madden 16 by far and the most frustrated I have been with a Madden ever. In the past few years they have lessened true user control and replaced it with things like "ball hawk". I don't understand for the life of my why the guys who don't have the user skills or simply don't want to don't just not press the button at all like in the PS2 days. EA always talks about people being scared to mess up the defender, then don't touch anything until you feel confident that you're helping and not hurting. For those players this one button mode we're you tell your guy how to play it is amazing and I don't have a problem with it being in the game for them. But they completely took out user controls, both catching and defending. I'm basically coaching the game and saying QB at this point.

My solution would be to have a "classic" mode for the hardcore Madden fans to play that disables the one button catch thing. And it would be essential that you let the Commissioners choose what mode the entire franchise plays with. The sad thing is the animations are really enjoyable to watch. But not matter what happens me pressing a button and having my player do nothing is not fun. If I press the pick button he should try for the pick no matter what position he is in. If I screwed him up then that's on me. I understand there are people that have various views on how the game should be played but it boggles my mind that people like not having the option to control your skill players both offensively and defensively.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that pressing the pick button causes your receiver to try to make a pick at the catch point. So if you are between the WR and the QB and you hold the pick button you will aromatically go BEHIND the WR and try to catch the ball through them. Which is very very stupid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

I have definitely had unresponsive controls in the past, so I do not think it is related to the new mechanics. A big example is that one out of every 4-5 games I will give up a long run because I will switch to the man who is sprung free to the ball carrier and he will not attempt a tackle. I'm assuming both of those have a common cause.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Your going to have two camps drawing lines in the sand now.

They designed the WR/DB this way and they are not changing it for M16. No way.

Steer your DB/LB/S while holding down how you want to play the ball to trigger the animation.

If you don't want canned animations then you will not get the interaction looking as nice as it is.

Those of us on the other side are really digging the animations and interaction and the fact that you can let the Cpu trigger it based on traits and ratings or if you want to user it...by all means.

They finally make a major change and put in WR/DB animations and now the user skill stick jockeys are going to get up in arms.

Hey I get it. That's how "you" play. But Madden can't make two games. They are trying to hear the simulation community for game play changes while trying to keep the arcade, joystick players happy too. And then you have sim players who like to user input everything and that's where some players (in this very thread) fall into as well.

It's a fine line and I don't envy the developers as they have tough design decisions to make every cycle. Some I agree with,some you agree with, some we both disagree and agree.

It's a tug of war between 100% user input guys to guys like me who do play the game but also allow the AI to make some decisions (dice role) based results.

I empathize with both sides. I think M16 is a hell of game this year and the best playing Madden football game we have ever seen to date.

I hope and pray they don't undo the progress of the WR/DB animations this year as they are stunning in action. I have seen some amazing plays/moments in my short time with the game already.

Could not be happier.
Not quite sure I agree with the above- I think everyone can agree the WR/DB animations are much improved this year. It almost seems ludicrous that the Madden community went so long without true 1 on 1 jump balls and battles- the passing game has been revolutionized and I believe this will be a long lasting feature in the Madden franchise.

The issue I have is that now safety play is more important than ever- if I user my safety to the correct position to support my CB or make a play on the ball, shouldn't my interactions be independent of the one on one battle of the CB vs WR? I think how the controller is mapped is partially the issue- I should be able to attempt an interception or attempt swatting the ball down before the "canimation" takes place, if the safety gets a hand on the ball the DB is allowed to engage the receiver anyhow.

With the controller layout as it is now, if I hit "Y" (Triangle for PS4 users) as the original poster suggested, it seems as if the input half of the time is instructing the CB to play the ball aggressively rather than commanding my user controlled safety to attempt an interception.

As mentioned above I am a big fan of how they have modeled the passing game this season. It is much more authentic and resembles what you see on Sundays, but I do not believe we have to settle for one or the other. Keep the "canimations" for the one on one battles but perhaps map the controller slightly different so that the user controlled defenders can still make plays on the ball.

Last edited by Shoeit; 08-27-2015 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeit
Not quite sure I agree with the above- I think everyone can agree the WR/DB animations are much improved this year. It almost seems ludacris that the Madden community went so long without true 1 on 1 jump balls and battles- the passing game has been revolutionized and I believe this will be a long lasting feature in the Madden franchise.

The issue I have is that now safety play is more important than ever- if I user my safety to the correct position to support my CB or make a play on the ball, shouldn't my interactions be independent of the one on one battle of the CB vs WR? I think how the controller is mapped is partially the issue- I should be able to attempt an interception or attempt swatting the ball down before the "canimation" takes place, if the safety gets a hand on the ball the DB is allowed to engage the receiver anyhow.

With the controller layout as it is now, if I hit "Y" (Triangle for PS4 users) as the original poster suggested, it seems as if the input half of the time is instructing the CB to play the ball aggressively rather than commanding my user controlled safety to attempt an interception.

As mentioned above I am a big fan of how they have modeled the passing game this season. It is much more authentic and resembles what you see on Sundays, but I do not believe we have to settle for one or the other. Keep the "canimations" for the one on one battles but perhaps map the controller slightly different so that the user controlled defenders can still make plays on the ball.
I feel like the physics system they built for the tackling could have played a larger role in the implementation of the interactions rather than the canned stuff. But visually it looks good, its a start, and provided i could consistently make a play with my safety i wouldnt complain too much. But there in lies the problem.

The portion in bold is a good point and something i never considered as a reason for the issue.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree. Playing safety is a big key this year and I am seeing what your seeing with delayed or ignored commands.

My other rant which was not on topic......that was me on 2.5 hours sleep and telling stick jockeys to shut up and leave our game alone.

I am really happy with a lot of the changes this year!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #16
Pro

IUxHOOSIERS's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
I have definitely had unresponsive controls in the past, so I do not think it is related to the new mechanics. A big example is that one out of every 4-5 games I will give up a long run because I will switch to the man who is sprung free to the ball carrier and he will not attempt a tackle. I'm assuming both of those have a common cause.
I honestly just let the CPU make tackles for me.

I feel like this game is way more animation-based, which can be good and bad. I pride myself on getting user picks, especially when somebody I'm playing throws a deep ball and I switch to the DB and pick it off. I can't even do that this year due to the unresponsiveness, and I feel like it's when a deep pass is taking place.

Last edited by IUxHOOSIERS; 08-27-2015 at 06:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »