Home

Great Rex Dickson Interview

This is a discussion on Great Rex Dickson Interview within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #49
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Great Rex Dickson Interview

VERY encouraging in many regards, but as a single player / offline / CFM / sim player it's even more encouraging...

With regard to the "Speed Issue" that over prioritizes that attribute:

PLEASE put more emphasis on AWR...

As players age, their tangibles decline, but their intangibles (smarts) can compensate for that decline...

There also should be quicker AWR progression for rookies / first year players that slows as they become veterans...

Madden already has to have an egregiously tight range for ratings, but for some reason that doesn't apply to AWR...

The "sub 50" guys can end up being relatively useless, etc...
Old 09-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0

Woohoo looks like com is gonna be great next year. Definitely sounds like a completely redone player career mode hopefully like nba 2k.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #51
Rookie

I still think the basics need tons more work before they start throwing together more features to hype.

WR/DB interactions are far to scripted. Need to have a more organic feel.

Line play is still bad. I /facepalm every time I see my Ts run out to block a DE or LB on a pass play. So naturally my face is hurting quite badly.

Defensive adjustments need to be in.. I want to be able to set up double teams on WRs or tell a LB to be a spy on every play in a coach menu. And it be that way the whole game.

Defensive shifts need to be handled better. I want to be able to shift/spread/pinch my D-Line and LBs to one or opposite sides of the field depending what I think is coming.

Gang tackling still needs some polishing. It is a start where they have it now but players still cant properly interact with an assisted tackle unless it is in the script that they join in on the tackle. To much running into / chest tackling and just falling over.

Reaction times for the defense seem really slow this year. Often times I will have a safety not even react to a pass until it is caught and by then it is to late. This happens even during the backpedal so it isnt like they couldnt actually " see " the pass being thrown.

I am all for new features but get the basics right first. Start by putting a team on reworking the " architecture " that seems to hold back everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #52
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS1181
I still think the basics need tons more work before they start throwing together more features to hype.

WR/DB interactions are far to scripted. Need to have a more organic feel.

Line play is still bad. I /facepalm every time I see my Ts run out to block a DE or LB on a pass play. So naturally my face is hurting quite badly.

Defensive adjustments need to be in.. I want to be able to set up double teams on WRs or tell a LB to be a spy on every play in a coach menu. And it be that way the whole game.

Defensive shifts need to be handled better. I want to be able to shift/spread/pinch my D-Line and LBs to one or opposite sides of the field depending what I think is coming.

Gang tackling still needs some polishing. It is a start where they have it now but players still cant properly interact with an assisted tackle unless it is in the script that they join in on the tackle. To much running into / chest tackling and just falling over.

Reaction times for the defense seem really slow this year. Often times I will have a safety not even react to a pass until it is caught and by then it is to late. This happens even during the backpedal so it isnt like they couldnt actually " see " the pass being thrown.

I am all for new features but get the basics right first. Start by putting a team on reworking the " architecture " that seems to hold back everything.
I'm going to give you my take on what Tiburon will do as far as WR/DB interactions...

I think that they will continue to improve upon their animation based outcomes rather than implement independent player outcomes. Take the problem of Saftey play for example; they can't make a play on the ball if there is a two person interaction occuring, but Tiburon can add three person animations to create a more organic "looking" outcome even if it is completely canned.

This is probably more likely in the future.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
I'm going to give you my take on what Tiburon will do as far as WR/DB interactions...

I think that they will continue to improve upon their animation based outcomes rather than implement independent player outcomes. Take the problem of Saftey play for example; they can't make a play on the ball if there is a two person interaction occuring, but Tiburon can add three person animations to create a more organic "looking" outcome even if it is completely canned.

This is probably more likely in the future.
Probably. I just want the scripted feel to be gone. I cringe when a single player slides/shifts/warps into place to start the two player animation and just imagining seeing a safety and a DB do it at the same time for an animation to play out isnt something I want to think about.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #54
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS1181
Probably. I just want the scripted feel to be gone. I cringe when a single player slides/shifts/warps into place to start the two player animation and just imagining seeing a safety and a DB do it at the same time for an animation to play out isnt something I want to think about.

I hope true step for all players is something in the very near future, they put in an excellent gang tackling system this year and said they didnt market it like crazy because its just part of football and theres no excuse for it not to be there, this falls under the same category.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #55
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Sure, it's nice to hear these things said. But he's not the first Madden developer to admit there are problems with the game.

At this point, it's a bunch of talk. To call the bugs in CFM unacceptable means nothing, because they were accepted and the game shipped with them.

None of this really means anything until fixes are made.
While I agree with you to a certain extent (and I'm also very cynical when it comes to Madden), I think you're forgetting they only have a limited time to release these games. Sometimes, things get prioritized over others and there just isn't anything we, or the devs, can do about it. It took me years to understand this. This year, they had to prioritize the passing game with WR/DB interactions. CFM had to take a back seat one more year for them to do that.

And as annoying as this is going to sound, everyone had the option to either buy or not buy the game. Every year. Me, I chose not to buy it this year because I had a feeling they wouldn't focus on franchise, and I was right, so I'm not mad. I'm sorry for those who bought it hoping franchise would be fixed, but it was pretty clear the writing was on the wall it wasn't going to happen.

What I do know is, they finally delivered something (the whole passing game basically) that is unanimously being praised across the board from critics and most importantly, hardcore fans alike. That, to me, goes a long way. Especially given the amount of vitriol being thrown at this game from the hardcore community for years now.

So, to go back to what you said about 'it means nothing until fixes are made'... well, he did deliver (big) when he said he'd fix WR/DB interactions, right? No reason to think he won't live up to his word about franchise mode.

And if it turns out I'm wrong and he ends up fooling me, feel free to rub this right back in my face if he does.

Last edited by bigd51; 09-01-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman5
Listen I'm all about presentation as much as the next person but that's something they can work on after they get the play on the field working. (16 is improved)

Work primary on gameplay then do presentation imo.
Umm why not improve both??? It's not like the gameplay guys work on the presentation or vice versa.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »