Home

Schemes and scouting

This is a discussion on Schemes and scouting within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Schemes and scouting

So, how much do you pay attention to schemes when scouting?

For example, if you are running a 3-4, do you even spend points scouting players who come from a 4-3 background?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
Rookie

raiderz4eva's Arena

Re: Schemes and scouting

It really depends on what you want to run. Im running a raiders franchise and they have a 4-3 and their DT's are each 330ish lbs(Dan Williams and Justin Ellis). Most 4-3 dt's in madden arent that big, so i will typically look for DT's in a 3-4 scheme, and 3-4 DE's can be switched to DT in a 4-3 if you prefer DTs that are a little lighter. They can rush the passer better, but i prefer big boys at DT's to stop the run and occupy blockers so that my edge rushers are 1-1. 3-4 olb can be tweener DE's in a 4-3. You can also find 250ish lb DE's who can probably play olb in a 3-4 but their coverage attributes will not be so good most likely. So all in all, i dont follow maddens assigned schemes as defenses have many variables. Measurables such as height and weight, and combine times give you an idea if the athlete can fit what you are running.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I look for guys who fit my scheme first 4-3 and 3-4 wise. However, some guys are interchangeable. A 3-4 Man CB is going to be at the top of my draft board if he has great coverage ratings even if I run a 4-3.

― Plato
Old 09-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4eva
It really depends on what you want to run. Im running a raiders franchise and they have a 4-3 and their DT's are each 330ish lbs(Dan Williams and Justin Ellis). Most 4-3 dt's in madden arent that big, so i will typically look for DT's in a 3-4 scheme, and 3-4 DE's can be switched to DT in a 4-3 if you prefer DTs that are a little lighter. They can rush the passer better, but i prefer big boys at DT's to stop the run and occupy blockers so that my edge rushers are 1-1. 3-4 olb can be tweener DE's in a 4-3. You can also find 250ish lb DE's who can probably play olb in a 3-4 but their coverage attributes will not be so good most likely. So all in all, i dont follow maddens assigned schemes as defenses have many variables. Measurables such as height and weight, and combine times give you an idea if the athlete can fit what you are running.

Hope this helps.

This kind of goes to a separate thread I posted. I totally get what you're saying from a size perspective, but to height and weight really matter in the Madden world? Or is everything just driven by ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »