Home

Catch results pre-determined in the air

This is a discussion on Catch results pre-determined in the air within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Catch results pre-determined in the air

A catch or deflection is pre-determined by the animation chosen. So yes, it would have to be determined while the ball is in the air, because the game has to choose which animation will play out.

This seems like common sense to me.

Watch me play video games
Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
For what it is worth, I think that any sports game that does not use a "dice roll" would be one mess of a game.
Yup. It truly would be pre-determined outcomes if that were the case, since you could just compare two players ratings head to head and automatically know what's going to happen. Dice rolls (weighted by a ratings discrepancy between players) are what make sports games tick.

I still think this is one of the better articles I've seen written on the subject:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/madden/#
Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
If nobody cares, sure. I can leave it at that. For me it just confirms that for all the talk of physics and such, underneath it's still a D&D dice roll system.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with it "still" being a D&D dice roll system. Because even if that's what the AI is, in the past a user could take control of a DB and input a command and the defender would follow this command. Same on offense. So if you were the type of player to user these interactions they have never really felt like a dice roll until they started taking away user control.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXShowstopperXx
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with it "still" being a D&D dice roll system. Because even if that's what the AI is, in the past a user could take control of a DB and input a command and the defender would follow this command. Same on offense. So if you were the type of player to user these interactions they have never really felt like a dice roll until they started taking away user control.
Madden NFL 16 implemented new controls specifically to add user control in receiving and pass defense situations. The "dice roll" (and there's actually probably more than one dice roll if I were to guess) plus ratings plus positions of the ball and the two players plus commands chosen by each player in the interaction influences the result.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #21
MVP

pmurray20's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC

Nance starts calling the reception before the ball even arrives to TY Hilton. I'm not sure how that works if there are more than two players that will interact at the catch point, but it's obvious that the game decides the result and how the animation will play out long before you see it. In this case it seems to be as soon as I "declared" for an aggressive defense.
I think I get more mad when they announce in the game what defense I'm running like they will say the steelers are bringing the house or the defense in a nickel playing back some. which tells the guy in playing what I'm running
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2015, 12:26 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmurray20
I think I get more mad when they announce in the game what defense I'm running like they will say the steelers are bringing the house or the defense in a nickel playing back some. which tells the guy in playing what I'm running
Use that to your advantage. Show blitz but have everyone dropping into coverage. The commentators will say you are bringing the blitz and it could affect you opponent.

But I have to ask, exactly who are you playing where having the commentator say you are in nickel helps him? The commentators mention things that are obvious
Old 09-25-2015, 01:08 AM   #23
MVP

pmurray20's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Use that to your advantage. Show blitz but have everyone dropping into coverage. The commentators will say you are bringing the blitz and it could affect you opponent.

But I have to ask, exactly who are you playing where having the commentator say you are in nickel helps him? The commentators mention things that are obvious
I didn't explain well what I meant was when I'm not showing the blitz but I am definately blitzing they say that I am even when hiding man they explain what I'm running
Old 09-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 0

They said I lost 2 when I gained 2. Other than that, if anything I just see the wrong calls and they usuallycorrect themselves

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »