Home

Madden 17 needs to bring back QB cone or something for user QBs.

This is a discussion on Madden 17 needs to bring back QB cone or something for user QBs. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #25
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden 17 needs to bring back QB cone or something for user QBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D81SKINS
QB awarness does matter for user controlled qbs.
I am reasonably certain that this is incorrect information.

My understanding is that for any user-controlled player - including but not limited to quarterbacks - the user's controller inputs override any and all effects of the AWR rating. If I'm not mistaken, EA devs have even said as much.

Anecdotally speaking, that I experienced in an older Madden game an online CFM where a user team dominated with freaking Jacory Harris would lend support to AWR not mattering for user-controlled players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 19

What this essentially boils down to, is creating a variance of passing difficulty to the Human player without it being done in a gimmicky fashion and requiring some type of major adjustment/injection to years of programming.

So here's my thought which would only consist of creating an alternative remapped button controls and the functioning of THP, SAC, MAC & DAC.

We'll use what's already available.

QB Accuracy
1) SAC, MAC & DAC will be distributed based off of 100 total pt scale.
- points can be distributed across the three, with the area with the most points representing the area/aspect the QB is best at.
Example: 100 pt distribution
SAC= 65
MAC=25
DAC=10

- points can be redistributed based off of game stats or player editing
- this will also help dictate what the AI QB will look to do during gameplay
- as well as, dictate what % of play types out of the coach's playbook will be available for the QB to choose (AI and Hum)

Play Type:
- SAC = dink & donk (i.e. Screens, quick throws etc...)
- MAC = median (1st down/chain movers etc...)
- DAC = deep (veritcal/bombs etc...)

2) Remap buttons (alternative play option of course) -->"After Snap"
LT button = Speed Burst
LB button = Trigger Rollout Animation
RB button = have WR break from routes (i.e. Get open)
- can/will cause bad throws/INT's.
RT button = utilizing a faster version of the kick meter to represent THP (without a visible meter of course)
(length/release time based on QB Throw Style)
- quick tap = quick fling (think WR screen throws)
- full trigger "release" = normal/regular throw attempt
- full trigger "hold" = full throw animation to use all power
R-Stick = throw direction
- Down L/R = Low directional throw
- L/R = Normal directional throw
- Up L/R = High directional throw
R-Stick Click = Pump Fake

**Get rid of buttons representing designated pass catchers, because accuracy issues have to be forced and/or automatic catches with this method due to the ball "always" being tethered to the receiver.

- Now difficulty is truly tied to each players QB "Stick Skills" instead of the ease of just pressing a button.
- Another difficulty element is added as the defense plays against the QB's Play Type strength.
Example:
A SAC/dink & donk QB, with a defense pressing and playing close to the LOS forcing a need for MAC & DAC throws which is not the QB's strength as well as very few MAC/DAC plays available to call, making the QB/Play Style predictable for the AI/HUM defense.

- Procedural Awareness can actually mean something instead of the "automatic" adjustment done due to being tethered to the ball (both sides).

- Restrictions due to the current structural setup are removed allowing the passing game to be opened up without forced limitations as the ball can be thrown (placed) towards any area of the field.

- The X,A,B,Y buttons can have "ball carrier" moves (dive, stiff-arm, spin, hurdle) mapped to them so that the QB could perform them behind the LOS.

Just thinking outside the box with an injection that could accomplish the request of the OP with what's already available..
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
Here's an idea I don't think's been mentioned...

When controlling a QB with low awareness, how about when you go to look at the pre-play to see your receiver routes, it only gives you the routes and icons for one or two WR's while leaving the other ones with "?" above their names where the button icon would be.

This way, as a user, you will not know the exact route for every receiving option, nor will you know the pass button designation for that receiver until he gets open. This can throw off your timing AND will probably force you to throw into double coverage if you're not sure the exact route the receiver is taking.
I just got finished posting a similar thing in another thread. Only thing, I don't want are the question marks. I say, just take the icons and route art away completely from certain receivers for less skilled QB's, because in reality if you have even the question mark you could still have an idea of which button assigns to it based on the WR's lineup position before the snap if you know Madden's play setup. So if you're eyeing that receiver through his route you can keep a visual on him as you've mentally assigned his icon to the button/play you already know. But without icons, as the receivers go through traffic and you're reading progressions, you're more likely to lose track.

Whether the number of passing options on a given play decrease or randomize should depend on a combination of that QB's attributes including their proficiency at completing passes at certain distances (short, medium, deep, left field, right field, middle field) the type of play called, and the game situation.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #28
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
You can justify this to real life to how Cam Newton was as a rookie compared to now. When he was drafted, it was usually 1 or 2 reads at the most per play, then tuck and run. Didn't have to account for every route on the field. But as his "awareness" rose, he's now making more reads per play because his knowledge is better.
I know this thread is about doing something for User QB's but implementing something like this into the actual plays as well as QB AI would help immensely. It would also be a perfect opportunity to use the skill trainers to teach people how to make reads in the passing game pre-snap and post snap.

I almost think a Tecmo Super Bowl-esque passing system where you cycled through icons could work for the user if you tied AWR to how many icons appeared. So a guy like Brady would have like 4 icons making it very easy to cycle while a guy like Tebow would only have one and would have to cycle one by one through his receivers. It wouldn't be perfect by any minutes but it could lightly simulate making reads and would pretty much do everything the vision cone did without the eyesore.

But as I was saying for the CPU I think it would help out a lot. Putting an emphasis on reads and timing so that plays like curl flats and verticals wouldn't consistently fall out apart so easily for the CPU while hopefully creating a greater differentiation between QB's who make strong reads vs. abandon reads, pocket QB's and running QB's, etc.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #29
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I loved the cone so much. Anyway to make it where your QB can't see the entire field is a + in my book.

Watch me play video games
Old 02-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #30
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

How quick the release is, judgement on where to throw the ball, pocket movement, and leadership are all things madden hasn't even scratched the surface with as far as qb differentiation, hasnt even scratched the surface...
Old 02-29-2016, 09:23 PM   #31
Rookie

XXL78's Arena

OVR: 3

I think that cone or no cone is not the problem. Varying degrees of accuracy is not the problem. The problem is that defenders cannot see where the quarterback is looking virtually eliminating any possibility of them playing zone coverage properly. It also eliminates the quarterbacks ability to manipulate defenders in the secondary by looking them off. This in my opinion is the primary reason pass coverage is broken, especially zone. Where the quarterback is looking and where the ball is, isn't a tangible thing in this game. Defenders play the ball and the route without ever really seeing the ball. Basically no ANTICIPATION(on defense) and no MANIPULATION(by quarterbacks) makes for a very basic passing game that has probably reached its peak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #32
Rookie

XXL78's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I know this thread is about doing something for User QB's but implementing something like this into the actual plays as well as QB AI would help immensely. It would also be a perfect opportunity to use the skill trainers to teach people how to make reads in the passing game pre-snap and post snap.

I almost think a Tecmo Super Bowl-esque passing system where you cycled through icons could work for the user if you tied AWR to how many icons appeared. So a guy like Brady would have like 4 icons making it very easy to cycle while a guy like Tebow would only have one and would have to cycle one by one through his receivers. It wouldn't be perfect by any minutes but it could lightly simulate making reads and would pretty much do everything the vision cone did without the eyesore.

But as I was saying for the CPU I think it would help out a lot. Putting an emphasis on reads and timing so that plays like curl flats and verticals wouldn't consistently fall out apart so easily for the CPU while hopefully creating a greater differentiation between QB's who make strong reads vs. abandon reads, pocket QB's and running QB's, etc.

I think its crazy that I could look off defenders in super tecmo bowl but I cannot do it in Madden 16. There has to be some kind of solution for this. The passing game mechanic for the quarterback has been the same for how many years now?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »