Home

GameInformer: 10 Downs with Clint Oldenburg

This is a discussion on GameInformer: 10 Downs with Clint Oldenburg within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2016, 12:18 AM   #9
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: GameInformer: 10 Downs with Clint Oldenburg

Some things that were a buzz kill was the talk of things taking years to potentially get into the game, and the talk of more attention to the spread, hurry up offense; the issue I have with the latter is that it sounds like run game improvements will be less focused on, and for the former, thinking of waiting years for anything someone may desire sooner than later, is just depressing.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #10
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
MUT Salary Cap saved MUT for me. Have you played it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah like I said I never got into MUT. Played maybe 3 games I don't like how I can have a player and my oppenent can have the same player.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:00 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Nah like I said I never got into MUT. Played maybe 3 games I don't like how I can have a player and my oppenent can have the same player.
Salary Cap helped because it forced users to consider where they want to put their best players. I don't think you can create a 90 OVR team i the mode anymore. I liked it because it allowed to get more of my favorite players in, and then build around them.

But for playing online ranked games, it's a lot better than than using real teams because you are on a more even playing field. Of course, before the Salary Cap mode, that wasn't possible, and their was much larger differences between teams than you see in the real teams.

Draft Champions kind of paved the way for this. It gives the player a feeling a ownership of his team, while keeping the OVRs reasonable close. I had bailed on MUT completely by the time Salary Cap came out because DC featured such better matchups.

Franchise is fun, and would be my absolute preference if I had the time to play in a 32 team league. And I will usually play a season of franchise. But the absolutely abysmal CPU AI for when incomes to team management, let alone game management, makes franchise mode kind of pointless mess.

This is nothing against the devs, as great team management AIs don't really exist in any sports game. Some are better than others. but all fall way too short for me to take their results seriously. I mean, the CPU can't even get a depth chart straight.

Worse yet is the slider fanatics. I get the allure, but at some point you have to realize is the all you are doing is playing paint by numbers. You tweak and tweak until you get the results you want. But you have effectively engineered out all of the feeling accomplishment. You created the exact results you wanted.. Bravo?

But playing head-to-head and with default sliders in solo actually measure what you are really doing. It's not surprising to me that more and more people are bailing on franchise, especially in the age of sliders. Every season starts with weeks, and then months of slider tweaking. Every result a player gets is debated and critiqued.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #12
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcabone
I agree, UT will continue to see improvements every year considering how much money they make from it. Nobody really plays ranked games anymore because you can now build your own team.
Loosely-related question - has EA announced anything yet for MUT in Madden 17? Did I miss it?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
MUT Salary Cap saved MUT for me. Have you played it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It came out after I was done with Madden so I didn't check that out but it was exactly what I've been calling for in all UT modes since the mode came out. It was a great addition in concept at least.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #14
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5

I loathe MUT, and everything about it. I understand that it's a cash cow though, and EA is within their rights to milk the hell out of it.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Dozer
I loathe MUT, and everything about it. I understand that it's a cash cow though, and EA is within their rights to milk the hell out of it.
It doesn't have to be... I played MUT properly for the first time this year after Franchise needed quite a few updates at launch. Didn't spend a penny and got my team to 84OVR... although at that point with all the daily/weekly stuff it felt like I was playing Destiny again...

If franchise ships a bit broke again, will try and play without spending. But it is nowhere near as good a mode as CFM, its just addictive.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #16
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
It doesn't have to be... I played MUT properly for the first time this year after Franchise needed quite a few updates at launch. Didn't spend a penny and got my team to 84OVR... although at that point with all the daily/weekly stuff it felt like I was playing Destiny again...

If franchise ships a bit broke again, will try and play without spending. But it is nowhere near as good a mode as CFM, its just addictive.
Raises a good question, does franchise ship "broken" so people have more incentive to try out other modes like MUT and DC?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »