Home

Statistical Analysis: Correlation between Combine Scores and Madden 17 Rookie Ratings

This is a discussion on Statistical Analysis: Correlation between Combine Scores and Madden 17 Rookie Ratings within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Statistical Analysis: Correlation between Combine Scores and Madden 17 Rookie Rat

Huh interesting stuff. According to the graph's I would have

71 Speed
55 Strength
72 Jumping
69 Agility
84 Acceleration

Quality JV talent right there
Old 08-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #18
Rookie

zacification1's Arena

Re: Statistical Analysis: Correlation between Combine Scores and Madden 17 Rookie Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Huh interesting stuff. According to the graph's I would have

71 Speed
55 Strength
72 Jumping
69 Agility
84 Acceleration

Quality JV talent right there
I know I'd be quite worse, only stat I can name off hand is 65 strength, haha. Thanks for checking it out.

New England Patriots
Boston College Eagles
Old 08-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #19
Rookie

I don't think you can have a straight 1 to 1 ratio with 40 times and speed rating. Because I would ask this question.

So player A runs a 4.35 40 and so does player B. Now player B has a faster 10 yard split than player A. But yet both finished with the same time. This tells me player A had a higher top speed bit takes longer to get their while player B is slower but has a better acceleration.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Birdman
I don't think you can have a straight 1 to 1 ratio with 40 times and speed rating. Because I would ask this question.

So player A runs a 4.35 40 and so does player B. Now player B has a faster 10 yard split than player A. But yet both finished with the same time. This tells me player A had a higher top speed bit takes longer to get their while player B is slower but has a better acceleration.

In this case you're looking at a situation where Player B indeed has a better initial burst (better ACC).

However, the reason for Player A's ability to catch up is unclear with this info. Player B could either have lower maximum velocity than Player A (lower SPD) or a lower ability to maintain his maximum velocity (lower STA, though Madden players don't get tired as quickly as real players do even with STA set at zero).

To determine this with certainty you'd need the 10, 20, and 40 split times. With these in hand you can do a bit of calculus on them and figure out the moment in time with maximum velocity for each player, along with the rates of change in velocity over time.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #21
Rookie

zacification1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Birdman

In this instance, player A would have lower Acceleration than player B. They both have the same "top speed", but player B reaches it quicker than player A does. It would not factor into speed itself, besides time taken to reach the top speed.

New England Patriots
Boston College Eagles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #22
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacification1
In this instance, player A would have lower Acceleration than player B. They both have the same "top speed", but player B reaches it quicker than player A does. It would not factor into speed itself, besides time taken to reach the top speed.
This is incorrect sorry
If top speeds are equal , higher ACC would mean faster time , ignoring stamina
Thus if 40 times are equal but ACCs differ so MUST top speed again ignoring stamina
Old 09-30-2016, 05:21 AM   #23
Rookie

Sajiky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
"Game speed" isn't a real thing. A player doesn't have slower straight-line speed by some arbitrary amount or cut more sluggishly solely because he puts on a set of pads and a helmet.

Actually track speed can be quite different. On the field with pads helmet etc. does change things. Ball carriers in particular keeping a football tucked to prevent fumbles changes running technique a lot. I'd even go so far as to say some people get an extra burst simply due to the act of the chase (in particular being chased). It's on grass or astroturf instead of a track, all these things make minute subtle differences, but when you consider the fastest players are fairly close to each other in speed small differences matter.

Even sprinters on tracks have variances in their times based on small differences in conditions. So with all the added variables during a game, football speed is definitely different from track speed.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #24
Just started!

Awesome work Zacification! I had messed around with something like this before but your results are much more complete. I will for sure use this with drafts classes in my CFM. One question i have is if nonlinear regression lines give better correlation coefficients. It seems like your jumping data is more logarithmic/exponential. Thanks again! (I'm bookmarking this page)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »