Home

Madden NFL 17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #321
Rookie

jerseycityarod23's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 17 Teach Me How/Strategy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splice
How about you don't hold R2 100% of the time when running the ball? This isn't Madden 2005. If you are sprinting to the line of scrimmage then you are only asking to be tackled. I don't use sprint hardly ever unless I'm on a kick/punt return, nobody between me and the end zone, or trying to turn the corner on an outside run once I've gotten out to the corner.
I just bought a new controller and can actually sprint now. I thought madden 17 changed the sprinting, but it was my controller. Ted gin was able to run and not get caught from behind. Crazy how a controller changes everything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #322
Rookie

I'm in a CFM with the Chargers and I'm trying to use a 3-4 defense. In the secondary I'm trying to create something like the Seahawks have with a Playmaker FS like Thomas and a Run Support SS like Kam.

Now that I've explained what I want to accomplish, this is what I'm having trouble with:

1 - I'm looking for a player to emulate Chancellor's play. Other than size and weight, what should I look for in the draft?

2 - What kind of plays are suited for a player like Chancellor?
Man coverage on the RB when I think is a run? Blitz him a lot?

Thanks in advance!

Enviado de meu D5833 usando Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #323
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard151
I'm in a CFM with the Chargers and I'm trying to use a 3-4 defense. In the secondary I'm trying to create something like the Seahawks have with a Playmaker FS like Thomas and a Run Support SS like Kam.

Now that I've explained what I want to accomplish, this is what I'm having trouble with:

1 - I'm looking for a player to emulate Chancellor's play. Other than size and weight, what should I look for in the draft?

2 - What kind of plays are suited for a player like Chancellor?
Man coverage on the RB when I think is a run? Blitz him a lot?

Thanks in advance!

Enviado de meu D5833 usando Tapatalk

Seahawks primarily run a C3 press scheme, which allows Chancellor to play in the box most of the time with Thomas taking the deep third. There are things they do that aren't in Madden, but:

- If you want to emulate this, consider turning Auto-flip off. Otherwise to my knowledge, you can't control who is in the box between your SS & FS. You'll want to call plays with your 'Thomas' playing centerfield and your 'Chancellor' effectively playing like a 4th LB in the box.

- Seattle doesn't blitz a whole ton, so you'll need a front 4 that can generate consistent pressure.

- Avoid calling much C2 where he'll be in deep coverage.

- Man is fine schematically, but he probably won't be well-suited to cover a WR or a top tier receiving TE. (Also Man can be tough to pull off in Madden, especially with default sliders...it's not well represented vs the NFL.)

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 01-15-2017, 03:10 AM   #324
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

Would anyone mind giving a quick critique on my passing game? I've attached two videos. I've been working with skills trainer trying to get better at reading coverage, but some unexpected deflections and interceptions keep happening, particularly in 2nd video. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpG_LseYFN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlVZP_kAso
Old 01-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #325
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
Would anyone mind giving a quick critique on my passing game? I've attached two videos. I've been working with skills trainer trying to get better at reading coverage, but some unexpected deflections and interceptions keep happening, particularly in 2nd video. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpG_LseYFN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKlVZP_kAso
First off, around the end of the video, you're 17/24 for 243 yards and 3tds...it looks like you're doing alright in the passing game .

Anywho, as a disclaimer I think gauging the passing game is slightly more difficult than gauging the run because you can't "read" what the user is reading. By that I mean, just through the videos, it's tough to gauge how you're reading the defense after the snap. That said, I'm not nearly as good with the passing game as I am with the run so take these with a huge grain of salt, but I did note just a couple moments that caught my eye:

Vid 2 - 0:55 | Defense comes out in a cover 2 look and you've got a cover 2 beater (corner/flat) called...good start. I have two notes;
1. With Beckham on the left against their #2 CB, I personally would have looked to his side of the field first as he's more likely to "win" his matchup. That probably wouldn't have helped on this play, as I'd have just hit the flat for 5-8 yards, and you had a potentially bigger play with Cruz on the other side.
2. It looked like, given the CB on Cruz took the flat away early, that leading Cruz deeper (up on the stick) would have cleared the CB and still allowed Cruz to pull away from the LB. That's a heck-of-a throw to make, but that's where the empty grass was.

Vid 2 - 2:00 | Defense comes out in a 2 high look again with OBJ on the left against their #2 CB...that's my first read again - especially with a 9 vs. press coverage. About 1.5 seconds into the play the CB bites on the flat, with the FS nowhere in sight - OBJ is wide open running down the sideline for a huge gain. Going to the RB is ok too, but it's got to come out right at his break when there is a ton of grass between the LBs. I think you just waited a tic too long.

Vid 2 - 4:30 | Defense in 2 high, OBJ singled up vs #2 CB...I'm watching the same thing as you until right after his break to the corner. That CB was in really tight coverage, ran the route for him it looked like. If I see it's man coverage and the DB took the route away, I'd look to the right side where you have two 9s clearing out the Dig. When I was watching, my eyes next went to the Dig who seemed to have the inside of his DB - that'd have been my throw after waiting another tic for the route to develop. From what I could tell, it just seemed like you decided it was going to OBJ before you snapped the ball, which is a win more often than not...just bad luck that it wasn't a win on this play.

Again, you seemed to be doing pretty dang good by the time the 2nd video picked up. I'm not great throwing the ball, and I have the luxury of a pause button, but hopefully these notes help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #326
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splice
How do you guys call your offensive plays? I can stop the defense pretty well on just about any slider set, but I always struggle on offense.

This is basically my philosophy when playing.

I like your philosophy, mine was previously very similar, and I'd try to rotate my backs according to the playcall I was expecting to run.

I want to add my philosophy because lately I've mixed it up a bit more and found that I'm getting significantly more offense...maybe someone else will benefit from it.

Lately I've been exclusively calling a PA pass and/or pass play with a C3/C1 beater...I also set up all my audibles to variations of runs; inside zone, outside zone, power, counter, etc. depending on formation strength. If the defense plays a loose box, I audible to the most advantageous run based on the defensive look. If the defense plays a loaded box, my pass call is already set to take advantage.

Example - from I-twins I'll call Dagger, if the defense comes out in a base 2 high man setup, I'll likely call outside zone or power depending on the front I'm facing and where the force defender is.

Example - from I-twins I'll call PA Power, if the defense comes out in a Cover 1 look I'll look to hit the TE on the Corner, or - if it's C3 - the FB in the flat or the WR dragging behind.

My last 5 games I've tried this, I've averaged 65-75 plays, 50% on 3rd down, almost 35 min. of possession, to go with 5+ ypc, and 320+ pyards with 15 min q. 15 sec runoff, on all-madden. This, for me at least, is a drastic improvement - most notably through the air.

Last edited by sebennayx; 01-19-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 01-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #327
Rookie

rallew's Arena

OVR: 2

How do you guys get interceptions in CFM?

Hello everyone,

Long time reader, not a very active poster here.

Everything just went well in my 2021-season i CFM against the CPU. Won the Super Bowl with the L.A. Rams with a defense ranked #1 in the league. However, I have a problem. My cornerbacks aren't getting the interceptions required to achieve their season goals. Of course I don't expect all of my corners to get 6-7 interceptions per season, but it would be nice if my starcorner could. He's 87-rated and has 90+ zone coverage with 82 man coverage if my memory serves me right. His highest season total came this year with three and two seasons ago he went from Superstar development to Quick. No biggie, but I don't want him to drop even further.

I mainly use a Cover 3-Seahawks style, with 4-3 under as my base formation. Doing great against the run, so the CPU will face a lot of 2nd and 3rd and long-situations.

However, the CPU seem to be more willing to chuck it out of bounds or dump the ball to the flats instead of taking any risks.

I use Charters All Madden sliders BTW.

Any advice on how to get more out of my CBs?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #328
Rookie

misterdequan12's Arena

Here is a video explaining why harsh marks are so important to create route spacing and manipulate zones. I'm going to be tealeasing more tip videos so stay tune!!!!

https://youtu.be/GfUsBqFWv3M

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »