Home

Bringing the Veer and Shoot to the NFL.

This is a discussion on Bringing the Veer and Shoot to the NFL. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5
Bringing the Veer and Shoot to the NFL.

Hey guys. It has been many, many moons since I last posted here. Looking back, I think the last time I posted here was back in 2010, when I was doing tutorials for the NCAA football series for my old youtube channel. But, with Madden 17 being the best one I can even remember, I decided to come back and start actually posting. Something I have been enjoying for years is recreating collegiate offenses or themed offenses into Madden. Sometimes, this is pretty easy and doesn't require a ton of work. Other times, like this one, did require a bit of time and effort to get playable.

Thanks to a few youtubers, I was able to watch most of the offensive snaps from Baylor's 15 season and some of the 14 season. And began working on the playbook. Although I got most of it done, I wasn't fully satisfied with the formations until about the 22nd, the day before the game released. When 17 dropped, the first thing I did was download an emptybook custom offense and get busy. And here is the mostly finished result! I am still tweaking it somewhat and I ask anyone that might download this to throw me some feedback! If you don't feel like reading this wall of text, you can watch a visual playbook here. The file name is VNS05 if you want to download it.

Background

(Yeah this handsome SOB is taking over the Browns. Deal with it.)
The Baylor Bears have been one of college football's rags to riches stories over the past decade. This began with the hiring of Art Briles from Houston, who brought with him a legacy of football brilliance, having been known as a high school football wishbone/veer guru in the 80's in Texas and eventually transformed into a 4 wide system designed to stress the defense to the breaking point by pre-snap alignment. His WRs were also placed as far away from the ball as possible, creating lanes and leverage. He helped bring Houston back to prominence and was hired at Baylor to do the same thing. He also brought with him an unlikely 3 star Athlete, one RG3, and we all know what happened there. A multitude of victories and a Heisman trophy. This offense torched the Big 12 and almost anyone else they played.

It is critical to remember that, while this is most definately a spread offense, Baylor also runs the ball a LOT. As in, last year they were 2nd in the nation to only Georgia Southern. (Gata baby!) They were the number one offense in the NCAA, 2nd in rushing and 26th in passing (Source) while having only a middle of the road defense. (Source). They had two 1000 yard rushers and were generally hell of wheels, even when they lost Seth Russel and all their other QBs in a dumpster fire. If you have not watched their bowl game from this season, do yourself a favor and WATCH IT.

Offensive Basics

Baylor is going to spread the field and find a weakness in a defense and then exploit that match up through whatever it takes. As I said in the video, this is not a pass first or run first offense. This is a score first offense. Do whatever the other team sucks at through whatever means you need to. And score points. Lots and lots of points. This is something that Baylor was doing quite well this past season until Russel went down with a back injury, and honestly, their point production did not really dip until everyone was hurt.

Briles showed his wishbone roots when he drempt up this crazy *** offense. If you have an equal hat count in the box, run the ball with one of your base run plays.

These run plays are: Inside Zone, Outside zone/Sweep, Power/HB Base, and Trap. (In the games I watched, I never saw Baylor run what I would consider a counter)

When the opposing team has +1 player in the box, run a double option. That could be midline, inverted veer, or the simple read option.

When the opposing team has +2 players in the box, run a triple option. This was something I did not see Baylor do in the games I watched, but that is the logical follow up and it is definitely something Briles would be familiar with.

As the opposing team is forced to commit more players to your run game, this should open up the pass game. In a big way. This is where Baylor really shines. Their QBs live and breath play action passing, something that is reflected in the playbook. Wheel routes, Iso routes, Go routes, all off play action. For the record, Russel, before he got broke, threw 29 TD passes in only 200 attempts.URL="http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/stats/BAYLOR/baylor-bears"](Source)[/url] That doesn't even make sense. Baylor is going to go deep. Conservative games? Nope, go deep. You missed? Go deep again. Wake up in the morning? Go deep. Seriously, I have been watching football for most of my life. I have never ever seen so many deep bombs thrown in one game. Baylor's players take some heat for being lazy, but if I had to run that much, I would take plays off too.

Beyond the deep passes and PA deep bombs, they run a lot of slants, sticks, and WR screens. The Bubble and PA screens have been tweaked a lot this year, so expect to see a lot of them in my gameplay. They are so deadly and are really no more than an extension of the running game for me.

The last portion of the offense is Tempo. Baylor is fast. How fast? Scary Fast. Like a play every 18 seconds fast. While you cannot really replicate this is Madden, you can tempo humans and the CPU into making mistakes at times.

The Formations

Baylor, in 15, was primarily a 10 personnel team, aligning in 10 Gun Doubles (Spread in Madden 17) at almost twice the rate as any other formation. Their other formations were usually 11 personnel, although they did use some game to game unique formations as wrinkles. They usually aligned with a TE in an H-Back or wing position though they had a lot of success with a TE and HB away from a Twins look. (What I call a weak stack) So I am trying to do most of my damage from those formations.

How does this apply to Madden 17?

Obviously, some of this will not apply to the NFL game. You cannot go out and simply out athlete people in the NFL. Especially not with the Browns. But, the same general rules to running the offense still apply. Run vs light boxes. Pass vs heavy boxes. Abuse certain match ups. Move your players around so they can be successful. A critical portion of this offense will be the PA shot plays, something that has been tuned significantly since M16. It isn't automatic anymore, but I did set all the audibles in my playbook to have one or two shot plays within an easy shift. For the record, I do try to play sim style football, but I am also trying to play true to scheme here. I am also using Flazko's Realism Sliders, which do a very good job.

So far, I have used this in two different franchise games. You can watch the first one here and the next one will be up Monday. I am working on putting together some H2H gameplay...in the games I have played I found it to be really effective against users, especailly those who want to stay in a 4-3/3-4 look against 3 or more WRs. Throw them out of that and then work them over with the interior run game. Until they bring the linebackers back in. Then throw some more. Simple head count offense.

I find this to be a very QB friendly offense if you have the QB for it. I had to actually bench RG3 in the second game of my dynasty in favor of the Kessler kid from USC, who has superior base accuracy in the box rosters and promptly threw 4 TDs against the Ravens secondary. Your mileage my vary! Either way, I hope you enjoy this playbook and playstyle.

What offense should I do next? I am leaning toward an I-Bone Renaissance.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
MVP

D81SKINS's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Bringing the Veer and Shoot to the NFL.

Dude you should help us out inhttp://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/887199-madden-17-everything-playbooks-custom-cpu-user.html

WE are trying to get these custom books just right for the CPU and USER.
Hope to see you there
Old 08-25-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by D81SKINS
Dude you should help us out inhttp://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/887199-madden-17-everything-playbooks-custom-cpu-user.html

WE are trying to get these custom books just right for the CPU and USER.
Hope to see you there
I'll definately look into it! Classes just started for me, so I am not sure how much time Ill have.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
Pro

Wahooworld15's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm sorry if I overlooked this somewhere but I'd love to try this playbook out. Are you on PS4? And if so is there a way I can download the playbook?

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...post2049811572
Old 08-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooworld15
I'm sorry if I overlooked this somewhere but I'd love to try this playbook out. Are you on PS4? And if so is there a way I can download the playbook?

Yeah man, the file name is VSN05 or vsno5. Or you can search for my PSN name, which is slaticus

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus
Yeah man, the file name is VSN05 or vsno5. Or you can search for my PSN name, which is slaticus

Great offense. I'm sure it will give users fits as well. I'm going to DL these to try in my CFM league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Can I get this on xboxone?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Can I get this on xboxone?

That was definitely what I was watching for... Hopefully so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »