Home

Now that the "fresh paint" smell has worn off, sorry, but this commentary is BAD

This is a discussion on Now that the "fresh paint" smell has worn off, sorry, but this commentary is BAD within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #49
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Now that the "fresh paint" smell has worn off, sorry, but this commentary is BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
Even though I complained about it on this thread, I think it's better than it used to be, for sure. I just think they should change the focus of their conversations in the future.
I like the commentary but when playing the moments and jumping in on a 3rd down you get the same line every stinking time... "3rd down now for the offense, the defense needs to stop them... WHAT CAN THEY DO, WHAT WILLLL THEY DO!!!!!???"
Old 09-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #50
Banned

rich8682's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Now that the "fresh paint" smell has worn off, sorry, but this commentary is BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
Despite my post above, I want to take issue with this, not regarding commentary but as to Madden in general. Madden has lost (from me) all good will towards the "its only year 1" thing given their track record of changing directions every year and routinely NOT building on features after year 1. (CFM in general, relocation, gameplan, OTP, custom playbooks, pocket, QB accuracy, ETC.)
They have built on cfm quite a bit this year, I don't know what you're on about. Playbooks you're absolutely right. But you gotta give these devs some credit. The game has taken such huge steps over the last couple years.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #51
Banned

Brightline's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8682
They have built on cfm quite a bit this year, I don't know what you're on about. Playbooks you're absolutely right. But you gotta give these devs some credit. The game has taken such huge steps over the last couple years.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
Not gonna hijack this thread... but I disagree on your CFM point but do agree the game has taken major steps this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #52
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The best source is when we used to have developers post here on a more consistent basis in the Ian and Phil days. They would tell us they required to come out with a year product because of the license with the NFL and EA.

Beyond that, I don't think you will find a link with the terms of the contract for public scrutiny.

As far as the bugs go, that's the era we live in with video games, day 1 patches and patches beyond development and in EA's case, continuous development
From what I know in talking to developers of other games over the past few years they would kill to ship with just 60 bugs. It's software, with a deadline. Bugs happen.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #53
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
Despite my post above, I want to take issue with this, not regarding commentary but as to Madden in general. Madden has lost (from me) all good will towards the "its only year 1" thing given their track record of changing directions every year and routinely NOT building on features after year 1. (CFM in general, relocation, gameplan, OTP, custom playbooks, pocket, QB accuracy, ETC.)
Well when you're talking a new commentary team and the amount of real time it takes to record commentary, you are talking a multi-year project to really build a full library of calls, names, situations, etc. There's a theoretical limit on how much you could actually get done in one cycle. In order to get the thousands of hours of commentary we would like to have, you'd have to actually be in the studio for those thousands of hours. That's going to take time.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #54
Banned

Brightline's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Well when you're talking a new commentary team and the amount of real time it takes to record commentary, you are talking a multi-year project to really build a full library of calls, names, situations, etc. There's a theoretical limit on how much you could actually get done in one cycle. In order to get the thousands of hours of commentary we would like to have, you'd have to actually be in the studio for those thousands of hours. That's going to take time.
I totally agree. So i made a couple separate points. (1) I think commentary is really good but (2) as a general matter Madden should not get the "its year 1" defense because they have a history of not building on features after inception.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 1

The OP is 100% right. The commentators are good, but the commentary is not. The worst example is how they don't even say the names of drafted players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #56
Rookie

Lipstick, meet pig. Still a pig? Damn!

How many of us don't hate 90% of real life commentaries and play by play guys? I don't know about you, but between college and the NFL, the overwhelming majority of real life broadcast crews make me want to break my TV.

That being said, I'll take the sound of a chainsaw over Phil "Clumsy Smurf" Simms. Low Bar!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »