Home

The Cheese...

This is a discussion on The Cheese... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: The Cheese...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
Wait a second. I wont dispute that certain coverages or elements of coverages may not work or the issue with speed boosts etc.

BUT

You are creating the wrong standard. There should not necessarily be a defensive play that can cover all 5 routes of this play. The key should be mixing up coverages so the QB has to quickly identify the coverage and make the right throw. The problem is that if there is no pass rush then quickly becomes leisurely and then you have a problem.
Even if you mix up your coverage you can't stop it. Thats why I gave a demonstration on why each route can can beat man, cover2, cover 3 and cover 4.. As soon as I hike the ball I can look at your defense, see what you're playing and I automatically know which receiver to throw to because they will be open. And just run the same play over and over and it can't be stopped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #26
Banned

Brightline's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmiles100
Even if you mix up your coverage you can't stop it. Thats why I gave a demonstration on why each route can can beat man, cover2, cover 3 and cover 4.. As soon as I hike the ball I can look at your defense, see what you're playing and I automatically know which receiver to throw to because they will be open. And just run the same play over and over and it can't be stopped.
No, if you can identify coverage at the snap then the problem is either that coverage is too obvious or you are just awesome in which case its fine that you cant be stopped.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
No, if you can identify coverage at the snap then the problem is either that coverage is too obvious
This 100%.

This is why this year I've made it a point this year to - absent a true "coverage shell" / disguise coverage option - keep my defense moving in pre snap using audibles / show blitz / etc. I very explicitly want to give my opponent a hard time to key in on what I'm doing because if I just line up in single-high and don't do anything else of course he's going to see very easily I'm in Cover 1 / Cover 3 and respond appropriately. I play as the Cowboys, I don't have the talent in my defense to just play straight-up, so I must rely on confusing my opponent to succeed.

I also make it a point to use the baked disguised coverages - such as Cover 2 Show 4 - and the Bluff Blitz individual defensive hot route (PS4: X on selected defensive player, right thumbstick right) to make my opponent work harder post-snap to diagnose exactly what he sees in my coverage.

I've actually found playing defense this year to be a helluva lot of fun because I'm more actively controlling what I'm doing.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
No, if you can identify coverage at the snap then the problem is either that coverage is too obvious or you are just awesome in which case its fine that you cant be stopped.
You dont have to be awesome to read and identify coverage.
I mean thats just simply understanding football. You can go into the training skills and they teach you how to read coverage. Even a novice can do that.

The coverages in the game are simply broke and can be exposed and exploited like it has been.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #29
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This 100%.

This is why this year I've made it a point this year to - absent a true "coverage shell" / disguise coverage option - keep my defense moving in pre snap using audibles / show blitz / etc. I very explicitly want to give my opponent a hard time to key in on what I'm doing because if I just line up in single-high and don't do anything else of course he's going to see very easily I'm in Cover 1 / Cover 3 and respond appropriately. I play as the Cowboys, I don't have the talent in my defense to just play straight-up, so I must rely on confusing my opponent to succeed.

I also make it a point to use the baked disguised coverages - such as Cover 2 Show 4 - and the Bluff Blitz individual defensive hot route (PS4: X on selected defensive player, right thumbstick right) to make my opponent work harder post-snap to diagnose exactly what he sees in my coverage.

I've actually found playing defense this year to be a helluva lot of fun because I'm more actively controlling what I'm doing.
Great post. You really have to work hard to disguise your coverage and confuse your opponent. I don't play against the CPU, and I stopped playing randoms online, but I'm having a lot of fun and some success in my online league with defense.

Watch me play video games
Old 09-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
This 100%.

LOL that won't work bro. You can do all of the shifting and disguise you want to but when the ball is snapped you can see the defense clearly. When I snap the ball Im immediately looking at your coverage not my WR's. I already know where my receivers will be. Im strictly looking at your coverage. I can see what the coverage your running in 3 seconds

If its man coverage BOOM its right there to see. If its cover 2 the CB's only drop in coverage 5 yards or so. If its cover 3 I see the CB's drop back a little further.

If its cover 4 I can see how the LB's drop back in coverage..
Even if you zone blitz you can see it as soon as the ball is hiked. Id love to play you with your disguise defense. Ill run either one of those plays over and over and you can't stop it.

Last edited by highmiles100; 09-28-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #31
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmiles100
LOL that won't work bro. You can do all of the shifting and disguise you want to but when the ball is snapped you can see the defense clearly. When I snap the ball Im immediately looking at your coverage not my WR's. I already know where my receivers will be. Im strictly looking at your coverage. I can see what the coverage your running in 3 seconds
Obviously. This is going to be the case regardless what coverage I call, what team I use, or what football game we are playing.

However, what you cannot do is know what coverage I'm playing pre-snap, and you can't call hot routes / audibles at the line of scrimmage and be completely sure that you're in the right play. You have to determine my coverage while the play is live, which buys my defense a moment of hesitation from you the quarterback to get home on a blitz and get a hit or a sack.

To that end, three seconds is an eternity during a live play. If I get to your quarterback in 2.8 seconds, it doesn't matter that you can read my defense in 3 seconds because your quarterback is on the ground before he can throw the ball. I already succeeded in what I was setting out to do by making sure you can't read my defense in zero seconds. Not to mention my guys are bluffing blitzes too, so you could potentially look for a hot read behind a blitz that's not actually coming and throw a pick right to my linebacker.

As to effectiveness - I led my online league in total defense with the Cowboys, so I must be doing something right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Obviously. This is going to be the case regardless what coverage I call, what team I use, or what football game we are playing.

However, what you cannot do is know what coverage I'm playing pre-snap, and you can't call hot routes / audibles at the line of scrimmage and be completely sure that you're in the right play. You have to determine my coverage while the play is live, which buys my defense a moment of hesitation from you the quarterback to get home on a blitz and get a hit or a sack.

To that end, three seconds is an eternity during a live play. If I get to your quarterback in 2.8 seconds, it doesn't matter that you can read my defense in 3 seconds because your quarterback is on the ground before he can throw the ball. I already succeeded in what I was setting out to do by making sure you can't read my defense in zero seconds. Not to mention my guys are bluffing blitzes too, so you could potentially look for a hot read behind a blitz that's not actually coming and throw a pick right to my linebacker.

As to effectiveness - I led my online league in total defense with the Cowboys, so I must be doing something right.

Apparently you're not reading what I wrote.
That one play alone exposes man, cover 2, 3 and 4. So you can run whatever D you want and there will be an open man regardless of what you do. And if all else fails I can just chuck it up to my HB and he will get behind any zone coverage you have even if you play over the top.

And actually yes you can pre read a coverage that football 101 bro.
Ill gladly play you online and blow you out running the same play or drag route you to death, just to prove my point.
Drop your tag name and let me know when you're ready.

Last edited by highmiles100; 09-28-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »