Home

Drops. You hate them, i Love them.

This is a discussion on Drops. You hate them, i Love them. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Drops. You hate them, i Love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
watch this video. Tell me if that is not realistic? is a difficult pass, the TE is falling and he just could`t control the ball.

Drops are part of football, and it is boring when all WR/TE and HB are Jerry rice. Catching is not guaranteed.

Yeah I'm not asking another NCAA 2005 (remember the one that had Larry Fitz on the cover) that was awful, But drops needs to stay, they just need to tweak when and how. But if i play zone, the D won`t be always on perfect position to deflect the pass, but close enough to hit or push or hassle the WR and enough to cause the WR to can`t control the ball.

It makes the game more dynamic, another variable

Note:This was before drops the tuner, when personally drops were perfect (beside the RAC bug).

I love drops, the only thing I hate about them is that they play out exactly the same way the animations do when they are caught. I'd like to see bobbled catches, double catches, body catches, guys making that last ditch effort to grab the ball before it hits the turf
Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 PM   #10
Rookie

ksteward84's Arena

Not only drops, I love the piles that form on top of an Onsides Kick or fumble now. (What'a going on under there? It just seems like utter chaos and a big scramble now)
College Football Revamped
Fire Pro Wrestling World
Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #11
Rookie

njmcfreak's Arena

OVR: 4

As an Eagles fan I hate them in and out of the game, but I'll take them begrudgingly.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #12
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8

I like the inclusion of drops and I like the dynamic ways that they can happen from time to time. My only issue with drops is that too many times I have seen one side favored when it comes to drops. The way the mechanic should work is that both teams should have the same percentage chance to encounter one of their players dropping a pass. Instead I have seen it where one side can have 3 or 4 drops in a single drive, where as the other player can get closely contested catches that should have clearly had a high percentage chance to initiate a drop yet it doesn't (I mean in the sense of similarly rated players with similar traits as obviously different ratings and different traits can cause varrying outcomes).

I don't know if this is due to an under the hood handicap/home field advantage type of mechanic as I would assume it is related to momentum but I have seen this happen in the beginning of a game when momentum hasn't had a chance to build.

I don't think reducing drops is the way to fix that issue as I enjoy that aspect being included in the game and the realism it adds but they need to find a way to balance it.

Last edited by Ampking101; 10-05-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Clarification at the end of first paragraph
Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
Rookie

Sucram7777's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteward84
Not only drops, I love the piles that form on top of an Onsides Kick or fumble now. (What'a going on under there? It just seems like utter chaos and a big scramble now)

Same here man.

The way the guys pile up on each other trying to dive down and secure a loose ball is very attractive to see. The only thing I'd like for them to add to it is that, when there's a huge pile on the ball, Refs should come in and pull players off of the scrum n order to determine which team truly has possession of the ball. The standing players should be pointing in their respective team's direction just like they do on Sunday.

As for this thread:

catch.jpg

Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I love drops, the only thing I hate about them is that they play out exactly the same way the animations do when they are caught. I'd like to see bobbled catches, double catches, body catches, guys making that last ditch effort to grab the ball before it hits the turf

Drops are great.

I've only played a little so far this year...but it seems like the defense has a LOT more desire than the offense to catch the ball. You see a WR bobble the ball, 1 WR *might* try to catch it while 4-5 defenders are diving their hardest for it. Anyone else notice this or perhaps just a fluke so far?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #15
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigRed29
Drops are great.

I've only played a little so far this year...but it seems like the defense has a LOT more desire than the offense to catch the ball. You see a WR bobble the ball, 1 WR *might* try to catch it while 4-5 defenders are diving their hardest for it. Anyone else notice this or perhaps just a fluke so far?
Just lost a game like this. Down 5 with 30 seconds and one TO left. Call Gun Doubles 4 verts. Mike Evans is lined up on the sideline with Sammy Coates inside him. Then it up to Evans he catches it but the swat/knockout animation plays. Ball floats into the endzone where Coates is wide open and doesn't even acknowledge it. Super frustrating how far madden has come but how far it still has to go
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #16
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Drops are one of those things that the GCs talk about allllll the time. It's so hard to quantify because just like anything else, we're dealing in emotion. So a 4th down drop in the end zone that costs you a game is going to stick out way beyond the time that your worst WR caught that contested 10 yard dig route for a 1st down.

On balance, I don't (and haven't since launch) feel as though drops in M17 are unrealistic. I get the idea that users want to be rewarded for their playcalling and their players' abilities, but sometimes things happen. Drops happen. The team certainly has metrics for how many drops happen and can compare that to real NFL averages, and they are tuning it, but I think random drops are an absolute must have in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »