Home

Playing Defense against All-Madden CPU Offense

This is a discussion on Playing Defense against All-Madden CPU Offense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Rookie

JDrama84's Arena

OVR: 0
Playing Defense against All-Madden CPU Offense

I could really use some suggestions on how to limit the success that the CPU offense has against my defense in my online franchise. Most of my defensive players are rated in the 80s and a few high 70s. We play a 4-3 defense and I feel that schematically, it is the correct scheme.

When playing defense, I feel I am strong on the sticks. I can user control safties and Linebackers quite well. My run defense is always among the top in the league by seasons end. My issue is pass defense. The QB always has an enternity to throw, and completes a high percentage of his passes. Most of the passes are completed against other CPU controlled defenders on my team. I mix up play calls frequently ranging from man coverage, man blitz, zone blitz, cover 2 zone, cover 3 zone, etc.

Question: How can I cause some more damn incompletions????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Playing Defense against All-Madden CPU Offense

Elite D-Line basically to force throw aways. 3-3-5 is my favorite defense vs the pass. You will need some speedy/z. coverage outside backers though. Cover 3 and I usually put the Nickel and the SS to cover the flat (blue zone).
Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I play as the right defensive end, and I can limit cpu QB to 55%-70% depending on what qb I'm playing against.

For example just played against Bortles and Winston and they both finished with around 55-58%

When I played against Alex Smith and Rivers they finished the game with 65-75%.

Just depends on how the game goes as well. If you get quick pressure you can get the CPU to throw the ball away or in coverage. Or knock the ball out before the QB gets a chance to throw to cause the completion percentage to go down.

Otherwise they pretty much are always on the money.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

Both the above replies hit on it. I was in the same boat. I always controlled the SS or FS figuring that was where I could do the least damage to my D. But the CPU just abuses other areas now so on passing downs I use a DE/DT to get pressure and force a bad throw.

On running plays I use a FS or SS but on those 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3 types, I use a LB, usually the lowest rated one to not screw up my defense too much.

Don't be afraid to gamble either and send a hot route blitz if you pick up a tendency. I was playing Goff and the Rams and noticed everything was going to the right side, so I blitzed from the left and rolled coverage to the right, particularly the tight end and shut him down. 7 sacks (I average 1-2 a game) 3 picks (I average less than 1 a game) and a 42% completion percentage.

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
Rookie

I'm convinced the CPUs possessions are pretty much rigged. If it really wants to score it will give itself 10 seconds for the receivers to run in circles around the field until someone gets open. If its not supposed to score it will ignore open guys all over the field and finally throw the ball away.

The CPU has a ridiculously high Comp % against me, too, but I try to keep the score down with a basic strategy:

My base defense is a 34 Cover three with 3 rushing and 3 yellow zones. I control safety in yellow zone and move around like free agent during plays.

If they come out in a running formation I send 5 man blitzes a lot and control the safety in deep zone, but come up close to defend run or undercut quick routes. I try to get them in third and long where I can run Quarters cover 3 and try to get the CPU to check down.

Inside my 10yd line I run 34 cover 4 unless they use a heavy run formation inside the 4yd line in which case I'll use goal line defense.

I think man coverage will produce more incompletes, but it's too dangerous to run often because of the huge RAC coming from the speed boost to the CPU players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

You cant?

The QBA slider does NOT work. Therefore no matter what, if you cant beat the patty cake minigame as a Dlineman, the CPU and or Player QB has 5 years to throw.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Rookie

Hope that the game has predetermined you will win.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »