Home

Catching Rating for Defense?

This is a discussion on Catching Rating for Defense? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #17
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Catching Rating for Defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I agree depending on the attribute. If I estimate that raising an attribute is cheaper than adding the trait I go with the trait guy.

But in the secondary especially physical tools outweigh everything else. I don't play corners below 88 in spd, acc, and agility no matter their other ratings.
I am the same way in regards to secondary players...Speed, Acc. and Agility are king...
Old 01-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #18
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I am the same way in regards to secondary players...Speed, Acc. and Agility are king...
Especially for my fs. He is my cover one deep zone guy and I want him to be able to cover the most ground. Spd, acc, agil and zone coverage. Usually a converted corner.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
Especially for my fs. He is my cover one deep zone guy and I want him to be able to cover the most ground. Spd, acc, agil and zone coverage. Usually a converted corner.
Acceleration is not very important to me for my FS. I'll lie with say a 85 or 86 on him. He always plays back having a slow first step so to speak is not a big a deal as it is for my other pass defenders. Whereas acceleration is the most important attribute for my SS
Old 01-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Acceleration is not very important to me for my FS. I'll lie with say a 85 or 86 on him. He always plays back having a slow first step so to speak is not a big a deal as it is for my other pass defenders. Whereas acceleration is the most important attribute for my SS
I want mine to be able to get to either sideline after he makes the read so speed acceleration and Agility are important to me or I will get burned in cover 1 man too often.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:09 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhere1970
I want mine to be able to get to either sideline after he makes the read so speed acceleration and Agility are important to me or I will get burned in cover 1 man too often.
I play cover 1 press, so believe me I know what you mean. But ZCV is more important in those scenarios. I want him breaking as soon as the QB locks his shoulders. Speed is important so he doesn't get lost on go routes, but agility and acceleration less so.

I use to value acceleration very highly back when I usered the safety, but I no longer do that. It'd be different if AI controlled safeties freelanced a bit and actually read the offense, but they don't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #22
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Speed and Agility for Safety for me...And Zone cover...

With CB's I want the big 3: speed, agility, acceleration and then high motor trait..M2M and Zone cover isn't that important for me, as long as it's over 80, if the DB has high speed..

Defensive line I want strength, block shed and acceleration..Tackling is equal to black shed for me with the DT's.

DE's I want block shed and acceleration, and I prefer finesse move over power move, but I am running a 4-3 base. And here is where I also find the appropriate trait, finesse swim or spin move to be excellent for getting pressure.

Even in Nickel I don't blitz my LB's because I use the 4-3 base nickel formation, and getting that DE off the edge and breaking the block makes a world of difference in helping to maintain coverage over just usering the MLB or a safety..

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 01-07-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Speed and Agility for Safety for me...And Zone cover...

With CB's I want the big 3: speed, agility, acceleration and then high motor trait..M2M and Zone cover isn't that important for me, as long as it's over 80, if the DB has high speed..

Defensive line I want strength, block shed and acceleration..Tackling is equal to black shed for me with the DT's.

DE's I want block shed and acceleration, and I prefer finesse move over power move, but I am running a 4-3 base. And here is where I also find the appropriate trait, finesse swim or spin move to be excellent for getting pressure.

Even in Nickel I don't blitz my LB's because I use the 4-3 base nickel formation, and getting that DE off the edge and breaking the block makes a world of difference in helping to maintain coverage over just usering the MLB or a safety..
For sure, acceleration is much more important than speed on the line. The way I look at it is the more distance you expect them to cover on a play the more the speed rating matters over acceleration. Acceleration on the line, balanced for linebackers and speed takes precedence for defensive backs. Not to say higher everything is not better but I give every player a physical grade based on height, jump, speed, acceleration, agility and strength when I draft them. The weights of how much each of those count is different based on position. If they don't reach the minimum grade I use their xp to upgrade only those attributes until they do. Those are expensive so often they will get passed on the depth charts by others that have the physicals and are using xp for cheaper upgrades such as awareness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »